With the loss of two seniors, there are some spots to fill on the two-deep this season. Seth Allison, a senior, returns as the team’s leading tackler from 2011, making huge strides from his sophomore campaign. Allison’s versatility will again be key for this group as he can switch to become almost a third safety on the field. Eyes will be on junior Justin Heard as he transitions from outside to middle linebacker. The question mark for the group will be the lack of experience after those two. Zach Bush and Blake Childress are the only other players returning with any game experience. Some true freshmen will need to step in and at least fill a reserve role and likely key roles on special teams.
- Allison – leading tackler on from 2011. The senior is always around the ball. A smart player that is just fun to watch.
- Heard – the new guy in the middle. Heard played OLB his first two years, but made the transition to MLB in the spring. Plays very fast, tracked down an ASU player (Frampton?) from behind in last year’s game. Will be a key player if the defense is successful this season.
- Bush – got very valuable experience as a true freshman. Started the season primarily as a special teams player, but worked himself into rotation by the end of the year.
- Childress – also got some experience as a true freshman, playing in eight games. He had four tackles against Southeastern Louisiana.
- D.J. Holland – redshirted in 2011
- Frank Newsome – the senior leader in the middle. Always undersized and battled injuries last year – only playing in 11 games. He was still #2 in tackles on the year and #3 in tackles for loss.
- Jessie Sims – He played in all 13 games as a senior, and even though he only started five, you’ll find Sims 3rd in tackles behind Allison and Newsome.
- Lamar Moore – The senior only played in four games before being dismissed from the team.
- Jacob Bundrick – Showed how talented he was his true freshman season before being injured. The same was true in 2011. He only played in five games, but he was totalling up the tackles again before another injury. Bundrick has decided to give up football.
Current Roster Additions:
- #43 Ricky Wyatt LB 5-11 233 Fr. Monroe, La. / Neville
- #45 Kamane Thomas LB 6-1 202 Fr. Missouri City, Texas / Elkins
- #48 Jazz Mason LB 6-1 210 Fr. Memphis, Tenn. / Arlington
- #51 Chase Caple LB 5-11 212 Fr. Searcy, Ark / Searcy
- Tony Brutofsky LB 5-9 190 Fr. Madison, Ala. / Bob Jones