Wet. Cold. Underwhelming performance.
It wasn’t last week all over again, but down 14-13 at the half, it certainly didn’t seem far from it. The good news is that there’s a second half. And the Bears came out and dominated both sides of the ball. It was still wet. It was still cold. But it wasn’t an underwhelming performance.
We ran the ball pretty well. We threw/caught the ball pretty well. And we shut the Colonels out in the second half.
Things you didn’t see if you weren’t there:
- Dillon Winfrey is making plays. I’m not just referring to the interception. You can tell that Coach Conque really likes that kid.
- I don’t know that we’ve ever had such a quality 5-man rotation with our defensive ends (Gaines, Hawkins, Jester, Woodard, Floyd), but we are extremely deep at the position. And some of the key contributors are going to be here for a while.
- The block by Dez Lewis put on Nicholls defensive back (you know who you are #13) on the touchdown run by Bobo was textbook. Seriously, they should take the still frames of it and put it in a book.
- Dominque Croom made another unbelievable catch – while being interfered with.
- This team makes great tackles. And misses lots of tackles. It’s a strange mix.
- There appeared to be some issues with breaking in the new center. A snap that didn’t get back to Wynrick. A false start that was called on Stouffer that was really “everybody but the center” according to the line judge. Hopefully we get those cleaned up before McNeese next week.
It was a good win. A year after escaping with a win at their place, it was nice to be able to coast to the win at our place – even adding the final score with the backups in the game and Jacoby running the ball in four straight plays. (Sidenote: I don’t ever recall him being in the game as a receiver. But Clay Murphy did catch his first five passes of the year.)
Big week coming up against McNeese. Huge challenge to play and win in Lake Charles.
The Bears, who had 511 yards of offense, held the Colonels, who had 297 yards at the half, to a net of 70 yards the second half.