It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicholls State
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:29 am 
Two-Time All-American

Nicholls comes to Conway with a overall record of 5-4, 5-2 SLC.
The Colonels look like a solid opponent with a close loss to Georgia to start
the year. They also took South Alabama to overtime. The scores indicate
they played Mcneese and Sam pretty well.

If memory serves me correctly the Bears won by 7 last year at their place.
The Nicholls game always seems to be a good one.

Too much on the line for the Bears to overlook this one...
UCA 38
Nicholls 17

Post subject: Re: Nicholls State
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:45 am 
Team Captain

So far we haven't played a solid game at Estes . Certainly have focused better on the road . Let's put it all together this week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:29 pm 
All-Conference

Good to hear from fellow Bear Backers. Our beloved Bears has a lot on the line in this game. 1, 9 wins secures a for sure playoff spot. 2, 10 wins gets us a 1st round bye. 3, It would be great for a recruiting tool. Also the fans need to pack out the stadium. Can anyone tell me why we don't draw a better crowd for games? Gooood Lands we have a winning Team here in Conway and people should be fighting to get tickets. Go Bears go ,
Papa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:54 pm 
Team Captain

Papa Bear, I've been asking that question for many years. I came to this conclusion a while back. Conway is still a 'red' city. If you had some way to poll everybody that calls themselves a football fan, no doubt to me that most would say that they are Razorback true. They still think of UCA as small time. I was walking down an aisle at Wal-Mart friday wearing a UCA FOOTBALL/ FEAR THE STRIPES shirt and met a 50 ish guy that looked like he wanted to say something to me, well we met on the next aisle and he spoke up and said this amazing thing to me..........How are the Bears doing this year? I wanted to tell him that we are undefeated in conference and ranked 10th in the playoff poll. Somehow this guy who looked the part of a sports fan (he had an ESPN Tee on) had no clue when it comes to Purple and Gray. I'll bet there's still people that think we play Tech and UAM.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

purplebruinfan wrote:
Papa Bear, I've been asking that question for many years. I came to this conclusion a while back. Conway is still a 'red' city. If you had some way to poll everybody that calls themselves a football fan, no doubt to me that most would say that they are Razorback true. They still think of UCA as small time. I was walking down an aisle at Wal-Mart friday wearing a UCA FOOTBALL/ FEAR THE STRIPES shirt and met a 50 ish guy that looked like he wanted to say something to me, well we met on the next aisle and he spoke up and said this amazing thing to me..........How are the Bears doing this year? I wanted to tell him that we are undefeated in conference and ranked 10th in the playoff poll. Somehow this guy who looked the part of a sports fan (he had an ESPN Tee on) had no clue when it comes to Purple and Gray. I'll bet there's still people that think we play Tech and UAM.

I would have responded..." having a good year, we haven't been beat by 53"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:03 am 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
purplebruinfan wrote:

I would have responded..." having a good year, we haven't been beat by 53"

Great answer =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:35 am 
Two-Time All-American

We have hashed this out so many times I can't remember. The ones I am upset
with are the UCA graduates who have turned their back on the university, on the
academic side and the athletic programs. These are the people we as supporters
need to reach out to...to maybe pull at their heart strings to gain their support.

I believe there also needs to be a stronger effort on the Part of UCA to promote
the Bear Brand within the city of Conway. Start with the Elementary schools
and encourage those young kids to come to the games. Most parents will bring
their children, make it a family event. Develop a new generation of Bear fans.
Have some of the players and coaches take a few hours to visit within those
schools and let the kids interact for a few minutes.

Also, like I have said before...there is a disgraceful lack of coverage by the state
media for UCA Athletics.

I'm not sure about the Log Cabin but the ADG covers only one team, and the
conference which they play in. LSU will get more coverage in the ADG this
week than the Bears will get all year. One reason I don't subscribe to the POS
newspaper.

Channel 4 NBC is Uof A only
Channel 7 gives score only
Channel 11 gives score only
Channel 16 gives score only

Justin Acri is our only voice...and to his credit he talks about the Bears on a daily
basis.

This team is 8-1, 7-0 and very few people know about it... :o :? :shock:

Anyway...I will quit

BPSG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:41 am 
2nd Team

Winning will cure a lot of ills. A consistent powerhouse within the conference will force attention on the bears. If we can get to a point were FBS wins aren't "what's wrong with A-State" but rather people recognizing that UCA has a lot of talent and it shouldn't be that surprising, then the needle will start to move.

Fortunately, I think our coach has us going in that direction. I really hope we can hang on to him. It's not easy to build depth on defense that can paralyze opponents in less than 3 years.

As for the game, classic trap makings: Back at home after two road trips, #1 team looming next wknd, national attention from FCS pundits. Talent tends to win out, and I think the sloppy game against SFA will help re-focus the bears. Nichols will struggle to move the ball and UCA does enough on offense to keep the game out of reach. Don't see a huge blowout, and there might be some uncomfortable moments.

UCA - 27
Nichols - 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:43 am 
All-Conference

Agree with most everything already posted.....still, Nicholls scares the hell out of me.

UCA 24
Nicholls 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:08 pm 
UserName Retired

The FCS Wedge

Quote:
Nicholls State at Central Arkansas

Here is your Southland conference game of the week, and if there was a team who could easily wreck the Bears’ season, it’s the Colonels of Nicholls State. They come into this game coming off of a Thursday night win against the Lamar Cardinals, and the extra two days should have helped rest their defense and get them ready for the challenge of stopping the Bears. While Nicholls’ offense is nothing to write home about, their defense is one of the best in conference and has kept them in their games. Central Arkansas boasts, in my opinion, the best defense in the conference, and while their offense starts off slow, the UCA defense allows them to still win. This isn’t going to be a high scoring game, and if you like defensive matchups, I suggest sitting down and watching this. Can Nicholls State ruin the Bears’ bid at a Southland Conference championship? Had this game been in Thibodaux, I might have said yes, but I think UCA gets the benefit of the stripes and wins 21-17.

Pretty much sums up what I feel about this game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:14 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Agree with most everything already posted.....still, Nicholls scares the hell out of me.

UCA 24
Nicholls 21

Me too!

Bears 26
Nicholls 20

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:22 pm 
Team Captain

I'm going to be the unrealistic optimist here.

UCA comes in fired up and focused. Defense limits Nicholls to under 200 yards total offense and force 3+ turnovers. Offense starts slow but kicks in gear let in the first.

UCA 48
Nicholls 10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:38 pm 
All-Conference

parkhill bear wrote:
Winning will cure a lot of ills. A consistent powerhouse within the conference will force attention on the bears. If we can get to a point were FBS wins aren't "what's wrong with A-State" but rather people recognizing that UCA has a lot of talent and it shouldn't be that surprising, then the needle will start to move.

Fortunately, I think our coach has us going in that direction. I really hope we can hang on to him. It's not easy to build depth on defense that can paralyze opponents in less than 3 years.

As for the game, classic trap makings: Back at home after two road trips, #1 team looming next wknd, national attention from FCS pundits. Talent tends to win out, and I think the sloppy game against SFA will help re-focus the bears. Nichols will struggle to move the ball and UCA does enough on offense to keep the game out of reach. Don't see a huge blowout, and there might be some uncomfortable moments.

UCA - 27
Nichols - 13

Parkhill,

Winning cures everything? Bears been winning for over 40 years! Not sure how many years of winning our alumni is going to require in order to increase their support? But I hope your right, we win some more championships and they come back (or start) to support the purple and gray...... and I hope I live to see it.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 pm 
Team Captain

Yes Nicholls comes in as a 'hot' team. fact.....they beat a Lamar team that is about as depleted as can be. They are down to their 5th string qb who was to redshirt until three weeks ago. They have lost seven starters to injury since they came here. Like I commented earlier, it's time to play well at home. Senior day( Smith,Wilson,Dauksch, among others. Perfect football weather.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am 
Two-Time All-American

Seniors playing their last regular season game on THE STRIPES...

2 Devin Spurlock
4 Jatavious Wilson
5 Brandon Porter
8 Jacquez McMillian
9 Tyler Williams
17 Scott Matiaha
26 Prince Ene
34 Antwon Wells
37 Kelton Warren
40 Cody Dauksch
45 Kamane Thomas
56 James Pope