It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illinois State...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:26 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:35 pm 
All-Conference

Thanks, Josh

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:07 pm 
Team Captain

xbear83 wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:
I think it's time we stop comparing apples and oranges. The SEC school has twice as many alumni, big time donors (Tyson, Jones, Walmart family, Hunt Family, etc...), SEC TV contract worth $32.7 million a year, and plays an easily recognizable opponent every week that has their own fan base buying tickets.

If we are going to be comparing UCA to anyone it should be FCS Schools. In the meantime we could all do more to support the bears, such as celebrate the victories, join purple circle, create fans at an early age, and encourage high school age kids to take a campus tour and apply. Meanwhile the university could do more to partner with companies/industries to do research, pursue mega donors, advertise games/season tickets, and stop the decline in enrollment that has been a constant during the last 10 years.

There is no doubt UCA does not have the resources to compete with the piggys and you are correct in pointing out we should develop our own resources and programs. Most of us understand UCA's biggest issue is the lack of support from our own alumni and improving that support and loyalty requires the most effort. I think a lot of the frustration is that many of our alumni support they pigs with donations and attendance and never come to a Bear game. So, in effect, we are fighting with the pigs for what should rightfully be ours.....the faithfulness and loyalty of our alumni. Having said that, it's our issue to cultivate, support and bring them home. Obviously, this is not an easy challenge or we would have succeeded long ago.

A lot of people I know got their undergrad degree at UCA (and loved it) but ended up going to graduate school there and stayed there. So that doesn't help. It is what it is at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:09 pm 
Redshirt

Really super proud for you guys at UCA! Way to not let go of the dream and come out on top! Super awesome!

Can't wait for you guys to play EWU. I really think if you run the ball well against them, you can control the clock and not get into a shoot out with them.

Combine that with your front line D crashing the LOS with your LB's filling the gaps will create havoc for them, and may actually bring their season to a quick conclusion.

I'm pulling for you Bears!

RastaKat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:22 pm 
UserName Retired

I love how coach said the run game wasnt working so we decided later in the game to go to the pass game.......really?........the fans were screaming it in the first half! :lol:

We so underuse our strengths.

We have a great pass game. Carlos sits on the bench...

moving on...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:56 pm 
UserName Retired

Villanova had about the same weather as was in Conway for their playoff game....Philly is needless to say quite a bit bigger than central Arkansas and Nova is about same size student body at UCA and avg about 6000 per home game.....................you could count the students at the game on a couple hands and campus looked like a ghost town...........total announced attendance was just a shade over 2000 of which 40%+ came from their opponent who is about 5 hours away playing in their first ever D1 playoff game........due to a long planned family trip I was not able to get to Conway but had to follow along remote..............I did see some Penn State sweatshirts in the crowd........the Nova fans there would be diehards for sure.........

The good part of the game was that the Bears made a great comeback to win and advance......hill gets steeper each week in the playoffs........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 pm 
Practice Squad

BearCountry wrote:
I love how coach said the run game wasnt working so we decided later in the game to go to the pass game.......really?........the fans were screaming it in the first half! :lol:

moving on...

+1+1+1+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

gobears14 wrote:
xbear83 wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:
I think it's time we stop comparing apples and oranges. The SEC school has twice as many alumni, big time donors (Tyson, Jones, Walmart family, Hunt Family, etc...), SEC TV contract worth $32.7 million a year, and plays an easily recognizable opponent every week that has their own fan base buying tickets.

If we are going to be comparing UCA to anyone it should be FCS Schools. In the meantime we could all do more to support the bears, such as celebrate the victories, join purple circle, create fans at an early age, and encourage high school age kids to take a campus tour and apply. Meanwhile the university could do more to partner with companies/industries to do research, pursue mega donors, advertise games/season tickets, and stop the decline in enrollment that has been a constant during the last 10 years.

There is no doubt UCA does not have the resources to compete with the piggys and you are correct in pointing out we should develop our own resources and programs. Most of us understand UCA's biggest issue is the lack of support from our own alumni and improving that support and loyalty requires the most effort. I think a lot of the frustration is that many of our alumni support they pigs with donations and attendance and never come to a Bear game. So, in effect, we are fighting with the pigs for what should rightfully be ours.....the faithfulness and loyalty of our alumni. Having said that, it's our issue to cultivate, support and bring them home. Obviously, this is not an easy challenge or we would have succeeded long ago.

A lot of people I know got their undergrad degree at UCA (and loved it) but ended up going to graduate school there and stayed there. So that doesn't help. It is what it is at this point.

I agree...what burns me more than anything is the UCA grads who support any
other school that they have no ties to whatsoever...They have no scruples, no
loyalty, NO CLUE.................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ddasm3 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

moving on...

+1+1+1+1

AMEN MY BEAR BROTHER...

When you charge admission to the game, it's time to put the best you got on
the field and light up the DAMN scoreboard

Have no mercy on their souls...this ain't Pop Warner and their ain't no trophy's
for participation....

BPSG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:05 am 
UserName Retired

ddasm3 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

moving on...

+1+1+1+1

You should have seen Desmond on that sideline..if you didn't... he was in the coaches faces, pacing back and forth, coaching up players...he looked so frustrated... it's like he KNEW what to do...and they wouldn't listen.. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am 
Starter

Pretty exciting stuff, can't get much better for players, parents & coaches to get to the playoffs, win & go to next round. Congrats to all! Got to experience it a couple of times, great memory.

As some have stated, the Bear passing game will need to be leaned on. I believe they can run the ball, but will need to set that up with the passing game, using Smith, Wilson, Cox & others to spread EWU out. Would be great to see that from their base set, with H back & TE. Do it!

The attendance thing has been going on forever it seems. Does any of you guys connected to the program know if this is truly a priority within the Athletic Dept. or Administration? If so, why couldn't the marketing dept. set up a program for current students to create plans & attempt to execute them within the university. Additionally, athletic dept. could reach out to past athletes by era, decade or whatever to try & get them involved. Do something outside of the box.

One thing for sure its a great time to be a Bear!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 am 
Practice Squad

BearCountry wrote:
ddasm3 wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

moving on...

+1+1+1+1

You should have seen Desmond on that sideline..if you didn't... he was in the coaches faces, pacing back and forth, coaching up players...he looked so frustrated... it's like he KNEW what to do...and they wouldn't listen.. :shock:

That boy paces like a Lion, #-o but they usually at least consider what he is saying.
He should go on to be a coach as much film he watches before the game and how he studies the game during it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The SLC is the Big 12 of FCS football: spread offense, dink and dunk passing, can't run the ballot. little defense. Clint Conque was the poster boy for this type of team.

The MVC is the SEC/Big 10 of FCS football. Big boy football, run the ball, use run to establish pass, stop the run, be more physical on both sides of the ball.

You can win in SLC playing the more wide open and less physical brand of ball but you would have to have vastly superior athletes than what we have had to compete nationally.

I. for one, want us to be able to take the field against the top teams nationally and compete.

35 months ago we hired the right guy to build the team to do just that.

In my humble opinion he is 1-2 years ahead of schedule.

We are 10-2, won a playoff game,beat a pretty good FBS team, and the two games we lost were due, at least in part to too many turnovers.

Ironically, the two games we lost were where we had to pass more.

It took guts to continue running the ball at asu!!

I'm 100% confident the staff knows what they are doing. I love Dez and all star WRs want the ball thriwn to him more.

Campbell has really only had 2.5 recruiting classes to get his type athlete. Each class has gotten more athletic than the last. We need more speed at RB and LB.

We need more size, strength and experience at OL. We need depth and ability at DB.

We are getting there. We have the right head coach and staff. We do not have national championship talent.., yet.

This team has ability and guts.

Let's enjoy them and look forward to even better teams in the very near future.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 pm 
Redshirt

I'm not sure about Central Arkansas, but most of the schools in the SLC began as State Teacher Colleges. No engineers, no scientist, just teachers. After graduation they were making small salaries & didn't have much to return to the university in the way of financial support. The larger schools have many CEO's of billion dollar companies who support their college in a big way. Many of the students at teacher colleges had to work (some more than one job) to put themselves through school & had little time to develop a close relationship with the school. This is a situation that all of these schools face & it is difficult to overcome. Traditions & school pride were in short supply. Except for a hand full of schools, all FCS schools are in a similar situation. We just have to be happy for the people who show up for the games & not worry about the others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next