It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Illinois State...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:13 am 
UserName Retired

Old Kat.......you describe us very well..............we actually were known for years as "State Teachers"....some old timers still call us that.........we are still the premier teacher education program in the state...........however, we have had more graduates since 1990 than cumulative before (I think that is what I read) and MANY of those are physicians, lawyers, CPAs, physical therapist practitioners (ie business owners) and many entrepreneurs and business executives.......we have opportunities but money is always so tight..............we will keep at it but a long way to go................

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

Sounds like OldKat knows UCA pretty well...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:44 am 
Redshirt

FOOT84 wrote:
Sounds like OldKat knows UCA pretty well...

Like I said, we're all in the same boat. Sam Houston's endowment is reaching $100 million. I never thought I would see that in my lifetime, but it's still just a drop in the bucket. We all need to relax & enjoy what we have. The schools (Texas State, UTSA) in Texas who moved up to FBS are having second thoughts. Teas State increased their stadium capacity to 30,000 only to see the average crowd around 15,000. A lot of empty seats. In my opinion, except for a few exceptions, the days of upper mobility in college football are done. The move to lower divisions has already begun with Idaho moving back to FCS. New Mexico State is not far behind. I'm surprised that some of the Louisiana schools in the SLC have not dropped back to DII. What do you guys think? Houston Baptist & Incarnate Word moving to Fcs, it's a joke!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 am 
2nd Team

old kat 62 wrote:
I'm not sure about Central Arkansas, but most of the schools in the SLC began as State Teacher Colleges. No engineers, no scientist, just teachers. After graduation they were making small salaries & didn't have much to return to the university in the way of financial support. The larger schools have many CEO's of billion dollar companies who support their college in a big way. Many of the students at teacher colleges had to work (some more than one job) to put themselves through school & had little time to develop a close relationship with the school. This is a situation that all of these schools face & it is difficult to overcome. Traditions & school pride were in short supply. Except for a hand full of schools, all FCS schools are in a similar situation. We just have to be happy for the people who show up for the games & not worry about the others.

Nail on the head right there. My father graduated from Arkansas State Teachers College (now UCA) and has always said as much. We also have the unique situation of everyone in the state pulling for one university and every other college just kind of blends into a white noise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am 
UserName Retired

parkhill bear wrote:
Nail on the head right there. My father graduated from Arkansas State Teachers College (now UCA) and has always said as much. We also have the unique situation of everyone in the state pulling for one university and every other college just kind of blends into a white noise.

Yeah....no. This state is more divided than most think. I couldn't care less for the pigs. Most A-State fans either. I've met quite a few Henderson State fans that don't follow them. As soon as we quit saying (not you personally) that uaf is the school that represents the state, it will happen. They've been irrelevant for decades and as long as they are elitist and non-inclusive they will remain that way. Nobody outside of their fans even considers them for national championships.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am 
Redshirt

Hello everyone,

EWU fan here. I love coming on and reading about other Universities. The struggles you speak of are the same that we are having at EWU. We are a college located in a small college city that is located 20 min. outside of bigger city Spokane. However, many people in Spokane choose to cheer for WSU Football or Gonzaga Basketball. Over the years we have made strides, started to become relevant in the FCS, increased student enrollments, and some of those Spokanites have taken notice (and many more haven't.)

Our attendance at games is up, but our small (very small) stadium is at capacity. We would like to expand, however their isn't much University money to do so. We are also a college where most of our students are in our education program. This is slowly changing, but our alumni don't have high profile jobs to be contributing large amounts of money to the program. The only reason we were able to get the red rug is because of a successful Michael Roos (Tennesse Titans OL) was all about making a change and made a huge donation. It may be ugly for opponents, but we love it, and it has given us an identity. I apologize for barging in on your board, but thought I would share that some of the struggles hold true across FCS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:36 pm 
All-Conference

Sorry to all here on the board if I offended with my earlier post. It seems I got a little "quick on the draw" with my comments about attendance last week. It seems everyone else had the exact same problem (Except for Texas high schools).
I have another couple of questions for you guys. We all noticed the band didn't take the field at halftime last week, and all the commercials on the big screen looked to be mandated by the NCAA/FCS and no local retail merchants were able to run ads. Was the decision about the band because of the kids gone for the holidays? or was it also an NCAA deal?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:46 pm 
All-Conference

EagerEagle wrote:
Hello everyone,

EWU fan here. I love coming on and reading about other Universities. The struggles you speak of are the same that we are having at EWU. We are a college located in a small college city that is located 20 min. outside of bigger city Spokane. However, many people in Spokane choose to cheer for WSU Football or Gonzaga Basketball. Over the years we have made strides, started to become relevant in the FCS, increased student enrollments, and some of those Spokanites have taken notice (and many more haven't.)

Our attendance at games is up, but our small (very small) stadium is at capacity. We would like to expand, however their isn't much University money to do so. We are also a college where most of our students are in our education program. This is slowly changing, but our alumni don't have high profile jobs to be contributing large amounts of money to the program. The only reason we were able to get the red rug is because of a successful Michael Roos (Tennesse Titans OL) was all about making a change and made a huge donation. It may be ugly for opponents, but we love it, and it has given us an identity. I apologize for barging in on your board, but thought I would share that some of the struggles hold true across FCS.

Hey thanks for the post and yes we see other schools having the same issues. I think for us it is also kind of frustrating when we see multi-million dollar high school facilities just down the road in TX that literally blow away most smaller colleges facilities, and like the other poster commented, they had a Friday night game after Thanksgiving that was packed, but then again its true we aren't comparing apples-to-apples due to many issues. College kids go home for the holidays and high school kids are already home.
I am hoping UCA will eventually add an Engineering school but we are talking mega-bucks to get it going so its just a dream for me/us.
On another note I am looking very forward to putting some purple on that Red field this Saturday! You guys just don't need to pass the ball any this week! You can pass that along if you like! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 pm 
Redshirt

I'll pass it along lol. There are games I wish we could establish more of a run game as well. We look forward to hosting you.

In the past we have had our band, along with other teams bands come for playoffs. I don't think that is up to the NCAA as it is up to the individual university. I do know that the NCAA is pretty heavy handed when it comes to the commercials, it all seems to be run by them. Again, not positive, just what I have seen in the past. Again, looking forward to seeing some of you guys in Cheney . Lots of tailgating out front of the stadium. If you come up above there is a EWU alumni tent with beer and food by donation. If you are up that way I will donate for you to have a beer and some good conversation!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:53 pm 
UserName Retired

EagerEagle wrote:
I'll pass it along lol. There are games I wish we could establish more of a run game as well. We look forward to hosting you.

In the past we have had our band, along with other teams bands come for playoffs. I don't think that is up to the NCAA as it is up to the individual university. I do know that the NCAA is pretty heavy handed when it comes to the commercials, it all seems to be run by them. Again, not positive, just what I have seen in the past. Again, looking forward to seeing some of you guys in Cheney . Lots of tailgating out front of the stadium. If you come up above there is a EWU alumni tent with beer and food by donation. If you are up that way I will donate for you to have a beer and some good conversation!

That's a classy fan! =D>

While I looked at airline tickets, $900 or so each round trip, hotel, food, game tickets, extras...my family of four would run close to $6000+ to come...just not possible. Especially with the holiday season just 3 weeks away. But man I would LOVE to be there! There will be a watch party at my house though... =D>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:52 am 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
The SLC is the Big 12 of FCS football: spread offense, dink and dunk passing, can't run the ballot. little defense. Clint Conque was the poster boy for this type of team.

The MVC is the SEC/Big 10 of FCS football. Big boy football, run the ball, use run to establish pass, stop the run, be more physical on both sides of the ball.

You can win in SLC playing the more wide open and less physical brand of ball but you would have to have vastly superior athletes than what we have had to compete nationally.

I. for one, want us to be able to take the field against the top teams nationally and compete.

35 months ago we hired the right guy to build the team to do just that.

In my humble opinion he is 1-2 years ahead of schedule.

We are 10-2, won a playoff game,beat a pretty good FBS team, and the two games we lost were due, at least in part to too many turnovers.

Ironically, the two games we lost were where we had to pass more.

It took guts to continue running the ball at asu!!

I'm 100% confident the staff knows what they are doing. I love Dez and all star WRs want the ball thriwn to him more.

Campbell has really only had 2.5 recruiting classes to get his type athlete. Each class has gotten more athletic than the last. We need more speed at RB and LB.

We need more size, strength and experience at OL. We need depth and ability at DB.

We are getting there. We have the right head coach and staff. We do not have national championship talent.., yet.

This team has ability and guts.

Let's enjoy them and look forward to even better teams in the very near future.

I agree with everything you said my Pike County Bear Brother...

The deciding factor in all of this has been the strength of the defensive line to
stop the running game of the opponents this year...this has allowed the Bears
to ground and pound the ball, keep the game close and come away with wins.

The two exceptions are Samford and Sam when UCA got so far behind they could
no longer play ball control.

The Bears have the ability to play imo, a faster paced game when needed but
have chose to grind it out so to speak in most games this year. And that is
fine with me...but vs. EWU this week they may need to push the envelope
a little more...UCA will need to match them score for score and not get one
dimensional...

BPSG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14 am 
2nd Team

BearCountry wrote:
parkhill bear wrote:

Yeah....no. This state is more divided than most think. I couldn't care less for the pigs. Most A-State fans either. I've met quite a few Henderson State fans that don't follow them. As soon as we quit saying (not you personally) that uaf is the school that represents the state, it will happen. They've been irrelevant for decades and as long as they are elitist and non-inclusive they will remain that way. Nobody outside of their fans even considers them for national championships.

The 4,000 people that show up to reddie games aside, the airways and TV are Razorback dominated. That's just the plain truth. 90% of my college friends are razorback fans. I work with UCA, HSU, UALR, etc. grads in an office of about 55 and about 90% blindly follow the hogs. As frustrating as it is, denying that is just not logical.

Pockets of dissent do not equal a divided fan collegiate fan base.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:20 am 
2nd Team

EagerEagle wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hoping for a good game and hoping for both our fanbases to continue increasing!!! Big games like this can only help...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:17 am 
Team Captain

parkhill bear wrote:
BearCountry wrote:
parkhill bear wrote:

The 4,000 people that show up to reddie games aside, the airways and TV are Razorback dominated. That's just the plain truth. 90% of my college friends are razorback fans. I work with UCA, HSU, UALR, etc. grads in an office of about 55 and about 90% blindly follow the hogs. As frustrating as it is, denying that is just not logical.

Pockets of dissent do not equal a divided fan collegiate fan base.

I can somewhat understand UALR since they don't have a football team. But I did notice a lot more "fans" during their NCAAT run last year that probably never watched a game of the regular season, which is annoying.

I've seen some of our own players that have Roll Tide in their twitter bio or wear LSU jackets around campus and they are from Alabama and Louisiana. Not sure what we can do about that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 am 
UserName Retired

The pig fans only have a larger fan base because the media tells them to and they blindly follow it....and have for decades. But look what happens when their season sucks. They can't even sell out War Memorial. I think most pig fans are pig fans because "it's what your supposed to do" as opposed to HSU, UCA, ASU etc..fans that are fans because that's their team. Making statements like "everyone in the state is a pig fan" is totally illogical and as ASU, UCA, HSU, OBU all get better and more advertisements the more illogical it will become.

The pigs are finished in this state. They are irrelevant. When you celebrate a shared national title from back in the 1960s just because your team is down that year and you do this EVERY year they are down...you are irrelevant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next