It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Student Attendance
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:52 pm 
All-Conference

Student attendance at U of A home games was up 55% this year over last year. That's a bunch! Not that I care about the U of A but I would like to know why. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with "on the field performance"
I would like to see a big increase like that for our Bears. What can we do?

Post subject: Re: Student Attendance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:14 am 
UserName Retired

If their press release is right about the number of quality SEC opponents this year being the reason, then next year would be a down year like last year must have been. However, better to be up than flat or down.

Seems to me like you need a great program with the Greeks, residential halls groups and others on campus to give them reasons to come (not everyone lives on campus). A % of diehards come to see the game whoever we are playing as they like the game........others come if a top game............others just come with their friends.......some for the contests, etc. We have to start now laying the ground work..........we should be able to have 2000 (about 15%).

Article on the issue:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/19/college-football-how-to-fix-student-attendance-decline/29007681/

<There is mixed data on the importance of in-stadium Wi-Fi but it can be very slow getting wifi connections>

Link to NCAA attendance data:

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 am 
UserName Retired

Might have something to do with 1 game in Little Rock instead of two. Students that didnt travel to LR will attend the games in Fayetteville. Ive got a pig friend and he said dont be impressed with those numbers. Announced attendance is never the same as actual butts in the seats. Works the same for UCA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 pm 
Team Captain

What is worrisome to me is the fact that the students haven't been strong in the last two years. Not long ago,there were alot of games when they filled up two sections and part of a third.They were affecting the opponents quite a bit with their noise level. Not seeing that lately. Someone explain that to me. Are we not as interesting to the 18-21 age group as we were in the Conque era? 10-3 with a FBS win and a playoff win. What else do we need to do?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:47 pm 
All-Conference

purplebruinfan wrote:
What is worrisome to me is the fact that the students haven't been strong in the last two years. Not long ago,there were alot of games when they filled up two sections and part of a third.They were affecting the opponents quite a bit with their noise level. Not seeing that lately. Someone explain that to me. Are we not as interesting to the 18-21 age group as we were in the Conque era? 10-3 with a FBS win and a playoff win. What else do we need to do?

The reason we had a stronger student section during those years was that the student leadership in the Bears Den was much, much stronger. They had some students back then that could get the kids pumped up and ready to go to the stadium. That is just not happening now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:06 am 
Two-Time All-American

Kids these days would rather sit in front of the tv and play video games. IMO