It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New 2017 Commitment-OL
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 pm 
All-Conference

What 75 said is accurate! Conway has become (and has been for a while) a retail destination. All the good retail stores are either already in town or on their way. Enough good restaurants now to sink a battleship.
Since Conway is a college town you will find good young eager happy employees waiting on you, unlike what you commonly see in larger cities. Conway is also kind of like the gateway city to the Ozarks in my humble opinion.
Fishing in AR is unbelievable. We have some of the cleanest and clearest lakes in the nation. Greers Ferry as 75 said is pretty close to Conway, Lake Ouachita is a freak show of a lake that not too many people outside the state know of. It`s so clean it has fresh water jellyfish. Fish for Striper, Trout(little red and white rivers), large mouth bass, small mouth bass, crappie (Lake Conway used to be crappie central) I don't know about recently.
Arkansas as a whole is a very diverse state geographically and has one of the greater altitude increases from around 175 feet or so above sea level in the delta, to 2,753 feet(Mt Magazine) in the Ozarks and Boston Mountain areas. We have quite a few gators in the Delta (around Dumas) and they have worked there way up the Arkansas River all the way to Morrilton and beyond (very small numbers).
Want to see some beautiful Rocky Mountain ELK? We have that too! (Boxley Valley and Ponca) and the crowds out to see them aren't overbearing. Want to Canoe and/or Kayak We`ve got you covered! float with the family on the beautiful buffalo or if you are an adrenaline junky take your kayak and enjoy some class 5 rapids on the Cossatot(skull crusher). Great camping/hiking etc. Scenic drives all over. Waterfalls galore if you are into that. If your looking for the big city lights/life you wont find it in AR. Definitely an outdoorsmans state. In my opinion its truly a hidden gem, and although I get sick to my stomach when I hear someone bash "little ole Arkansas" I`m kind of glad they do since their ignorance will keep them out of my slice of heaven. LOL
GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 pm 
All-Conference

and let me add all of that is a fairly short distance from Conway depending on what you like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:01 pm 
UserName Retired

FaninTN ........you must work for Arkansas tourism........and you just hit the highlights.........also pretty good football such at UCA games..........

Coach is definitely a big believer in the importance of interior line play.......we have been solid in the line for a long time but the last 5 years we have really jumped up several steps.........we look like a D1 team for sure and the talent just keeps getting better as well as bigger................have good line play and you can compete with just about anyone........(OK, nobody seems to be able to compete consistently vs Bama)...

West Point is certainly a great academic school but UCA has first rate programs as well........I have never regretted my UCA degree and it got me into a Top 5 graduate program in my field......

I was being deliberately modest about Evangel.........they have been top shelf football for a long time......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:43 pm 
Team Captain

We are fortunate to get a young man like this. If West Point offered him he is academically sound and he understands "team first" mentality. As a proud UCA graduate that started his academic career at the USMA I am excited about welcoming this family into our UCA family!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 pm 
Redshirt

JRK wrote:
FaninTN ........you must work for Arkansas tourism........and you just hit the highlights.........also pretty good football such at UCA games..........

Coach is definitely a big believer in the importance of interior line play.......we have been solid in the line for a long time but the last 5 years we have really jumped up several steps.........we look like a D1 team for sure and the talent just keeps getting better as well as bigger................have good line play and you can compete with just about anyone........(OK, nobody seems to be able to compete consistently vs Bama)...

West Point is certainly a great academic school but UCA has first rate programs as well........I have never regretted my UCA degree and it got me into a Top 5 graduate program in my field......

I was being deliberately modest about Evangel.........they have been top shelf football for a long time......

What are some of the better degrees offered at UCA?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 am 
UserName Retired

UCA has a nationally recognized Occupational Therapy program and starts its PhD in OT this Fall.

It also has the third ranked in the nation PT department. The professors and staff win national awards. I've seen people from all over the U.S. apply for it. It is well known.

The College of Business has a nationally recognized program in the MBA. It also uses all full time staff, no adjunct faculty from what I hear.

The journalism dept wins the top awards yearly for in state media PLUS AETN, the Arkansas Educational Television Network, is on campus! Talk about hands on real life experience!

The College of Education just keeps on putting out teachers and administrators at all levels of education as it has for over 100 years! 60+% of the teachers in the Conway school district have a masters degree!

The online programs are just over a year old but are now expanding to the point they have developed a department for it. All without outside corporations! That's initiative!

The list goes on and on!

But even with all that, when your son walks across campus he will be saying hello to more people than he ever has! It's a small but friendly campus with over 200 student organizations that are bound to have something of interest for him. Everything from fraternities to hunting to outdoor recreation to frisbee golf clubs! If he's bored then he needs to talk to the Student Activities Board in the Student Center. They will give him a list of hundreds of groups that are there to support his time at UCA.

But don't forget the tutoring! Every dept nearly has tutoring available at no cost or very little cost, depending on the subject and how you want it tutored (private or public) so he WILL succeed and graduate. It's up to him to ask though.

UCA is a great place to get an education and to play on a winning football team that is more like family. I've seen it since the early 90s.

Advice: Get him to actively seek out the easily accessible groups, both academic and social, so he doesn't have to focus on one part of the university. I promise you he will LOVE his time here if he does!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 pm 
UserName Retired

BC is correct that the list is long.............health sciences overall is just very good and well recognized............OT and PT have long been excellent.............but also UCA grads in chemistry or pre-med programs routinely are accepted into med schools...........nursing including masters and Phd programs.....................we are historically a "teachers school" and we are still strong as BC says in teaching and administration.........lots of school administrators in Arkansas have undergrad or grad degrees from UCA............as do coaches..............very strong music program.....the Honors College is excellent preparation for those wanting to pursue a career in academia and also for anyone wanting a Ivy League style undergrad approach........we also have a very good accounting program and masters grads in accounting do very well with the Big 4 accounting firms and Fortune 500s.....

We also have an excellent undergrad degree program in insurance...........

I am sure there are others ....we have long emphasized faculty who wants to be in the classroom and accessible to students...........my experience in that regard goes back to the late 60s, one of my child's to the early 2000s and a friend of mine's child is a student now and we all seem to have had the same experience with faculty...........students have to take initiative like anything else in life to take advantage of the opportunities...........

While not an academic program, the Yarnell's purples ice cream I have seen in the dining hall at times is really good..........hope we still have that!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

Welcome to the Bear family...
From reading the article about Ethan, it sounds like UCA got not only a
great lineman but also a great individual... =D> =D> =D>

BPSG