It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sam Houston
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 pm 
All-Conference

Echo all of the GREAT things mentioned above.

I just will not ever understand our fans. Leaving in the third and fourth quarters in a championship type caliber game like Saturday nights is just unacceptable. I don't know what the answer is on that. As far as I'm concerned, those that left were not UCA fans.

Time to move on to Houston Baptist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 pm 
UserName Retired

There seem to have been enough bad calls for an entire season.......I'll bet SHS fans feel the same way........I mean 30 penalties for goodness sakes.......

I too saw the "anticipatory"" flag you mention..........happened right in front of me........very obvious.......

In the post game interview Coach said he was OK with Terrell ( I think he alone had four) as he was just trying to get Briscoe's timing............must have eventually got it as he blew past the tackle on one of those last sacks.....that really would not be an neutral zone infraction which I think some they made that call was just off sides.........I must admit I thought they flat missed two others........

Coach also said something I had not heard a coach say before.........we all wondered why we were using our timeouts so often and early.....he said he told the defense coaches to use all the TOs if needed to "stop a run" just as you do in basketball.....makes sense when a team like SHS depends on getting in a rhythm and keeping defense off balance............

Which brings me to another two bad calls where we were trying go hurry up and the umpire runs in and stops play while two Kats exit the field (saved Kats a TO) ........I may be wrong but I am pretty sure we had not substituted......later in the game Kats were going hurry up and we had a 12th man exiting the field after a Kats sub in and we get flagged.......real lack of consistency............still the Bears did not lose cool and played through it.............that is the level discipline it takes to win championships.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 pm 
UserName Retired

While LSU was getting beat by Troy in Death Valley, the fans departed in mass according to Tiger post game radio ............one of the guys said something like maybe a few hundred left in Q4 when the game was on the line......

At least the visitor's side was almost entirely filled (band day helped and they typically start leaving early).....

Kudos to BMB and Cheer as usually for never missing a beat and go strong until the end.......

Even the OFS where I sit was almost filled and even people were making noise.........

Attendance was solid 11,347............need that for McNeese also......

Last edited by JRK on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am 
All-Conference

I went back and watched some of the game on ESPN3 replay...Terrell was just trying to time the snap and got caught sometimes. Agree with JRK that Campbell seemed fine with it as he had a few sacks I believe...one critical sack late in the game.

The line judge on the home side was awful, plain and simple. I thought there were multiple flags he threw for and against us that were really picky. At least he was unbiased I guess.

I think there is a little cause for concern with the lack of the ability to control the ball in the late stages of the 3rd and 4th quarter. We fed off the big plays but SHSU did an excellent job of getting off the field in 3rd down situations. Don't get me wrong, we have enough weapons to real off 30+ yards at any given moment, but the outs, slants and button hooks were non-existent when the bears needed 8-10 yards. It seemed like it took an outstanding player effort breaking a tackle to get a first down or to shorten up the chains. SHSU's D-line played really well, but they just didn't have much help in the secondary.

This is really nit-picky as well...we have so much young talent at the skill positions. It seems like Campbell is building a monster at UCA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2017/10/2/football-hildebrand-smith-earn-southland-honors.aspx

Congrats to Hayden and Tre.....well deserved.........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

huggy_bear wrote:
I went back and watched some of the game on ESPN3 replay...Terrell was just trying to time the snap and got caught sometimes. Agree with JRK that Campbell seemed fine with it as he had a few sacks I believe...one critical sack late in the game.

The line judge on the home side was awful, plain and simple. I thought there were multiple flags he threw for and against us that were really picky. At least he was unbiased I guess.

I think there is a little cause for concern with the lack of the ability to control the ball in the late stages of the 3rd and 4th quarter. We fed off the big plays but SHSU did an excellent job of getting off the field in 3rd down situations. Don't get me wrong, we have enough weapons to real off 30+ yards at any given moment, but the outs, slants and button hooks were non-existent when the bears needed 8-10 yards. It seemed like it took an outstanding player effort breaking a tackle to get a first down or to shorten up the chains. SHSU's D-line played really well, but they just didn't have much help in the secondary.

This is really nit-picky as well...we have so much young talent at the skill positions. It seems like Campbell is building a monster at UCA.

Sam played man coverage the entire game. They took away the easy throws.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm 
All-Conference

Just watched the true freshman Brandon Myers TD catch and run again. Talk about blowing by a defensive back.
He's going to be special.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Reading the forum posts from Katfans it seems that the vast majority of them
feel like their team just lost the game and the Bears had little to do with it.
Briscoe was a little off and their running back was just inches from breaking
TD runs all night long. Their receivers were always behind the UCA secondary
and Briscoe underthrew them.

I think that Sam has a ton of talent on their team...but they are soft. When
you get physical with them they fold up like a cheap road map.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 pm 
UserName Retired

Maybe they did not have their best game but in H1 it was very close to becoming a blowout...............maybe having hands in his face caused some of the misfires from QB....not a lot of sacks but lots of push on o-line backward.....not sure how Briscoe's misfires resulted in Hayden's bombs right on target.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:06 am 
UserName Retired

I counted at least 4 passes that hit the hands of our defense that could have been taken back the other way.

I saw Briscoe overthrow receivers because he was rushed and even in the fourth quarter he was sacked.

I saw our offense stall out. We were 4/14 on third down conversions.

I saw two passes in the first half tipped by our defense and land in the laps of a Bearkat. One for a TD.

I saw a Sam Houston QB get up off the ground time and time again. He got hit constantly even if it wasn't a sack. By the end of the game he was holding his arm after he got up. Kid is hurt.

I saw the weak side of the Sam offensive line get blown back time after time.

I saw a SH defense do very little to a UCA offense.

In review, I saw a weak Sam offensive line unable to stop the pressure from getting to their hurt QB and saw a UCA team that had its typical trouble on third downs but had enough to finiSH.

Credit due: The Sam team never folded. They kept doing what they do. Drive the ball and set themselves up for scores. Credit also to the UCA defense. They were worn down in the fourth but somehow found that second wind to sack the QB twice and end drives by the Bearkats.

I also saw nearly 30 flags thrown and neither team able to establish any kind of game plan because of it. Please don't let those officials work another game.

Onto HBU...