It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stephen F Austin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:13 am 
All-Conference

Well, we tried to give it away multiple times but credit to the D and specifically the secondary. SFAs WRs were covered 95% of the time and George Odom played like a mad man. He was flying everywhere. We are going to miss him next year.

We can't run between the tackles and it is effecting all phases of the offense. We cannot get 1 yard when we have to, and is Blackmon hurt or in the doghouse? He's slowly being phased out of the offense. Crossley has great vision and his speed and agility is crazy good, but short yardage plays require a big physical back to move the pile 2-3 yards. We simply couldn't do it tonight and Blackmon was virtually non existent in the 2nd half

Penalties were a killer and the turnovers were uncharacteristic of Hayden. He was just trying to do too much which you can't deny his desire; it was a frustrating night. One of those picks was a really good play by the corner from SFA reading Hayden who tried to guide the ball to the RB at the end of the half. We were 3 of 6 scoring in the red zone tonight. This game should have been a 20 point win, but the offense just wasn't sharp.

The crowd is what it is. Through my playing days and ever since, I've never seen the uca fans be anything but casual. The ones that stayed to the end did fine. The students hung around too which was encouraging.

Clint Conque is a terrible person and I'm glad he's still winless against us. Yes, he had good years with us, but knowing what I know, I'd rather he get fired at the end of this year and disappear. I'm not surprised he's losing at SFA, so maybe karma does exist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 am 
Two-Time All-American

bwbear wrote:
After tonight, really not sure what to think. Here’s my brain dump:

Offense

Run game is inconsistent. I trust the coaches but do not understand the audible to a run play (or a called run play) on third and long when we are only gaining enough yards every 4th or 5th run. They must be seeing something but we do not execute.

Hildebrand is trying too hard to make plays. Two of his three interceptions he should have thrown away and lived to play another down. He seems to be leaving the ball slightly short and not hitting our receivers in stride. Hopefully he settles down and gets back into rhythm.

The great news is we have incredible playmakers at receiver. And I love Crossley’s vision. Was very impressed with how well he found the holes when they were there.

Defense:

We were gashed a few times tonight on the ground. Some missed tackles hurt. Credit to SFA for getting the holes to open.

But, like we have been last season and this, our defense comes up huge when we need them. The sacks on SFA’s last possession were exactly what we needed.

Officiating was odd. I felt we got away with a couple, but the big calls against us were really bad at really bad times. I thought the body slam unnecessary roughness was questionable (looked like SFA player was still fighting for yards). There was a pass interference call where the ball was going to be clearly uncatchable.

Final thoughts: A win is a win. It was ugly, but we always have one or two of those. Our men can hopefully use tonight as a wake-up call for the rest of the season. Northwestern will be a tough task, and McNeese is looming.

Our crowd sucked tonight. Stands too empty, quiet for way too long, and when we needed them to be loud, only a few thousand remained. I am sad for our team and disappointed in our city. These men deserve better, especially playing the best ball in the state.

As someone else said on here, every game is a championship game. Proud of the men for battling it out and coming away with the win.

Go Bears!

AMEN...

especially on being disappointed in the city of Conway. I'm sure they all stayed
home to watch uaf get pounded again.

Bears struggled to find a groove on Offense, Defense found a way to get it done
time and time and time and time again. Kickoff return team got a big one when
they needed it...Roman Gordon shakes CB at the line of scrimmage and HH finds
him for the go ahead score and guess what ? Central Arkansas wins again...

BPSG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm 
All-Conference

Have to agree with most of the comments and an ugly win is still a win and all teams have a few of these each year. Being #6 in the country means we get the best effort from the opposition each game so there's little room for a letdown. My concern is also that we can't seem to run well between the tackles on short yardage, but we continue to try. I'm not sure if Blackmon is hurt or not, but there doesn't seem to be much room for him inside. Perhaps it was because both HBU and SFA are very good up the middle?

Another issue is penalties. While I understand we want to play with an "edge", averaging 80 to 90 yards a game will eventually get you beat. (Yes, I realize the Southland Conference could use "a little" improvement in the referee department) but we need to get better. Penalties ruined a number of drives last night.

Hats off to the Bears, they found a way to win. Lots of teams didn't.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 pm 
Redshirt

huggy_bear wrote:
Clint Conque is a terrible person and I'm glad he's still winless against us. Yes, he had good years with us, but knowing what I know, I'd rather he get fired at the end of this year and disappear. I'm not surprised he's losing at SFA, so maybe karma does exist

Besides his leaving UCA, I'd love to know the reason for this comment. SFA fans debate his fit for the program and a lot of those discussions are valid (although I'm clearly not on team "fire Clint") but he's been nothing but a phenomenal member of the community in Nacogdoches since he arrived. Please explain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 pm 
Redshirt

Regarding the game, I have to admit it was a good one. Experience wins in the end and SFA and their heaps of sophomores weren't ready for that moment. That collapse at the end (kickoff return, facemask, blown assignment on the touchdown, then three-straight sacks) was pretty epic. Otherwise it was encouraging for fans in Nacogdoches because it was the best by far QB Jake Blumrick has looked since Foster Sawyer went down with his ACL injury. I know that's not saying much but trust me...

It was a massive gut punch for us but once the emotions subside, I saw positive things for SFA. I do know this: I've watched UCA several times this year and I'm convinced you all have a better team than they looked like last night. A lot of UCA's problems were self-inflicted - but I'll also say this: we've seen opponents (see: Houston, Sam) commit self-inflicted errors all season and at some point I think SFA's defense gets some of the credit for that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm 
Redshirt

bwbear wrote:
After tonight, really not sure what to think. Here’s my brain dump:

Offense

Run game is inconsistent. I trust the coaches but do not understand the audible to a run play (or a called run play) on third and long when we are only gaining enough yards every 4th or 5th run. They must be seeing something but we do not execute.

Hildebrand is trying too hard to make plays. Two of his three interceptions he should have thrown away and lived to play another down. He seems to be leaving the ball slightly short and not hitting our receivers in stride. Hopefully he settles down and gets back into rhythm.

The great news is we have incredible playmakers at receiver. And I love Crossley’s vision. Was very impressed with how well he found the holes when they were there.

Defense:

We were gashed a few times tonight on the ground. Some missed tackles hurt. Credit to SFA for getting the holes to open.

But, like we have been last season and this, our defense comes up huge when we need them. The sacks on SFA’s last possession were exactly what we needed.

Officiating was odd. I felt we got away with a couple, but the big calls against us were really bad at really bad times. I thought the body slam unnecessary roughness was questionable (looked like SFA player was still fighting for yards). There was a pass interference call where the ball was going to be clearly uncatchable.

Final thoughts: A win is a win. It was ugly, but we always have one or two of those. Our men can hopefully use tonight as a wake-up call for the rest of the season. Northwestern will be a tough task, and McNeese is looming.

Our crowd sucked tonight. Stands too empty, quiet for way too long, and when we needed them to be loud, only a few thousand remained. I am sad for our team and disappointed in our city. These men deserve better, especially playing the best ball in the state.

As someone else said on here, every game is a championship game. Proud of the men for battling it out and coming away with the win.

Go Bears!

The crowd did not suck.... I sit in Section 5, and yes it drives me nuts when folks leave early, really big time at the Sam Houston game but the folks that stayed were loud and on their feet when we needed them in the 4th quarter.... what are your recommendations to get the (1) students more engaged and (2) get City of Conway on board?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 am 
All-Conference

Agree with most everything that has been posted....to not play well and still win is HUGE!!!!

Regarding the crowd, that is one of UCA's GREATEST mysteries. I have been following the program for the better part of 40 years and still cannot figure it out.

I respectfully disagree with the post from Ironman regarding the crowd being loud up in his section 5, and it may very well have been up there, but I was standing on the UCA sidelines and you could literally hear everything conversation going on down there. I wish I knew the answer, but don't.

Time to move on to Northwestern State......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm 
Team Captain

ironman wrote:

The crowd did not suck.... I sit in Section 5, and yes it drives me nuts when folks leave early, really big time at the Sam Houston game but the folks that stayed were loud and on their feet when we needed them in the 4th quarter.... what are your recommendations to get the (1) students more engaged and (2) get City of Conway on board?

I was sitting in one of the skyboxes so I had a very good view of the home side. There were a lot of empty seats during the first half, and even worse during second half. Purple Circle seats were sparsely populated. After halftime, was even worse. That is what I meant by the "crowed sucked." We need more butts in the seats, in particular butts that are going to create a hard environment for opponents to come in and win.

But how to get that to happen? I think that topic has been beaten to death on this board. I think it will all come down to pride and publicity. Pride in the university, the team, and the publicity to get it noticed. Inside the state of Arkansas, both are hard to produce except at UAF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am 
All-Conference

INiedrauer wrote:
huggy_bear wrote:

Besides his leaving UCA, I'd love to know the reason for this comment. SFA fans debate his fit for the program and a lot of those discussions are valid (although I'm clearly not on team "fire Clint") but he's been nothing but a phenomenal member of the community in Nacogdoches since he arrived. Please explain.

Made some bad personal decisions, but the cover up and the fallout got a lot of people hurt. I thought the way he handled the situation was much like a little kid getting caught doing something he shouldn't have. He didn't face the music until he had no other choice and ran out of lies. That's as specific as I will get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 pm 
UserName Retired

Need to start focusing on Demons