Post subject: Re: Stephen F Austin
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm 
Starter

huggy_bear wrote:
FOOT84 wrote:
It's hard to run when the opponent loads the box and brings the safeties down
hill. The Bears need to throw vertical routes ala Sam Houston and keep pressure
on the secondary. I don't look for SFA to play much press man coverage. I think
they will play cover 2 and make us earn our points...which is what CC wants anyway.

BPSG

IAGDWTBWATHL

HBU didn't load the box the whole game, especially on 2nd and longs and 3rd downs.

Conque will play cover 2 and mix in a healthy amount of blitzes. Again, interested to see if we can run and exploit the middle if this is what they do.

I have been told by people with more football knowledge than me, that SFA doesn't have the noseguard to run that 3 man front defense that they run. Our coaches were salivating to run the ball on them. And our offensive line is not the best in the world.

Doc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am 
All-Conference

Conque is of low moral character so there's no telling what he may do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:59 pm 
Starter

SFA is clearly down, but CC will have them ready & was a good big game coach while at UCA, imo. Calling a player or group soft is about the most uncomplimentary thing that could be said. I'm sure it's been shared with their players & not something that helps the cause. Uca is better & I think Conque & SFA are coming to a gunfight with a knife. Go Bears!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Defend the Stripes on both sides of the LOS.......play great defense and special teams then pick your times on offense.......we have lots of weapons and I doubt we have shown everything yet.........run game at HBU was puzzling but I will give HBU credit for some very good LB play...the one guy reminded me a lot of Seth Allison who just had a nose for where the ball would go and make sure tackles....doubt I can make it the way I feel with congestion and coughing............make extra noise to cover for me.....probably will not be able to hear me thru the radio broadcast.....Go Bears!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

JRK wrote:
Defend the Stripes on both sides of the LOS.......play great defense and special teams then pick your times on offense.......we have lots of weapons and I doubt we have shown everything yet.........run game at HBU was puzzling but I will give HBU credit for some very good LB play...the one guy reminded me a lot of Seth Allison who just had a nose for where the ball would go and make sure tackles....doubt I can make it the way I feel with congestion and coughing............make extra noise to cover for me.....probably will not be able to hear me thru the radio broadcast.....Go Bears!!!!

Hope you feel better...

Game Day
GO BEARS...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm 
UserName Retired

Thanks........already have game gear on for radio........Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It appears as if the Bears still have a hangover.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm 
All-Conference

An ugly win is still a win...

Go Bears! =D>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
All-Conference

Wow!

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm 
UserName Retired

Game ball to defense............how many times did they get BIG stops? Offense has got to get going.........every game they will get other's best effort..........

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm 
UserName Retired

Foot ..........I feel better now..............

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Game ball to defense............how many times did they get BIG stops? Offense has got to get going.........every game they will get other's best effort..........

And one for special teams.

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm 
UserName Retired

No argument from me...........

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, SFA played like they had nothing lose. Our offense couldn't move it on third down. But luckily neither could they.

Glad for the W. =D>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:04 pm 
Team Captain

After tonight, really not sure what to think. Here’s my brain dump:

Offense

Run game is inconsistent. I trust the coaches but do not understand the audible to a run play (or a called run play) on third and long when we are only gaining enough yards every 4th or 5th run. They must be seeing something but we do not execute.

Hildebrand is trying too hard to make plays. Two of his three interceptions he should have thrown away and lived to play another down. He seems to be leaving the ball slightly short and not hitting our receivers in stride. Hopefully he settles down and gets back into rhythm.

The great news is we have incredible playmakers at receiver. And I love Crossley’s vision. Was very impressed with how well he found the holes when they were there.

Defense:

We were gashed a few times tonight on the ground. Some missed tackles hurt. Credit to SFA for getting the holes to open.

But, like we have been last season and this, our defense comes up huge when we need them. The sacks on SFA’s last possession were exactly what we needed.

Officiating was odd. I felt we got away with a couple, but the big calls against us were really bad at really bad times. I thought the body slam unnecessary roughness was questionable (looked like SFA player was still fighting for yards). There was a pass interference call where the ball was going to be clearly uncatchable.

Final thoughts: A win is a win. It was ugly, but we always have one or two of those. Our men can hopefully use tonight as a wake-up call for the rest of the season. Northwestern will be a tough task, and McNeese is looming.

Our crowd sucked tonight. Stands too empty, quiet for way too long, and when we needed them to be loud, only a few thousand remained. I am sad for our team and disappointed in our city. These men deserve better, especially playing the best ball in the state.

As someone else said on here, every game is a championship game. Proud of the men for battling it out and coming away with the win.

Go Bears!