It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Hampshire
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
Turn it over 4 times and you will get yo ass beat...
It's a simple as that.
UNH reaped the benefits of sloppy play from the Bears...
They move on and UCA hangs up their pads...

Bears could have easily won that game but didn't.

At least we are not...

BPSG

Don’t forget poor special teams play (missed field goal, blocks extra point and shanked punt). Also, Hildebrand had a great game considering he was running for his life most of the afternoon. To me, the fact that NH was so strong on their defensive front was the most surprising part of the game. Never thought they could sack Bears 5 times. Proud of the Bears, hell of a season!

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I completely agree with you 83... the UNH front 4 got a good push on pretty
much every down. They made Hayden uncomfortable from the start and shut
down the edges on running plays. Held the Bears to 73 yards rushing and got
4 turnovers...only won by 6, but it's as good as 30.

Looking forward to signing day...can't wait to see who the Bears get.

BPSG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 pm 
Team Captain

I have to say that this loss is still eating at me! I am not convinced that the best team won, but the better team for Saturday Dec 2nd showed up and they were in Navy and White.

Props to UNH. They arrived with a chip on their shoulder and had something to prove. They were the more physical team and deserved the win.

We have hosted playoff games. We have played in 2nd round games. But we had never hosted a 2nd round game prior to this year. At least not in D-I. And this is NOT an excuse. There is a huge difference from winning a first round game and going someplace like UM or EWU with nothing to lose and making a good showing. But it is a completely different animal to be able to take a week off and bring your A game against a team that has been criticized for their resume and comes in after taking a win or go home game. There is a reason UNH has been to 14 straight playoff trips. They’re good. They came in having experienced this position before and they were confident they could win.

That kind of experience can only be learned. We will be young next year and we are losing a ton of experience but I know what kind of motivation will be used for the next few months.

21-15

Go Bears!! Still proud to be one. Let’s keep our own playoff streak going.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am 
Two-Time All-American

philgood80 wrote:
I have to say that this loss is still eating at me! I am not convinced that the best team won, but the better team for Saturday Dec 2nd showed up and they were in Navy and White.

Props to UNH. They arrived with a chip on their shoulder and had something to prove. They were the more physical team and deserved the win.

We have hosted playoff games. We have played in 2nd round games. But we had never hosted a 2nd round game prior to this year. At least not in D-I. And this is NOT an excuse. There is a huge difference from winning a first round game and going someplace like UM or EWU with nothing to lose and making a good showing. But it is a completely different animal to be able to take a week off and bring your A game against a team that has been criticized for their resume and comes in after taking a win or go home game. There is a reason UNH has been to 14 straight playoff trips. They’re good. They came in having experienced this position before and they were confident they could win.

That kind of experience can only be learned. We will be young next year and we are losing a ton of experience but I know what kind of motivation will be used for the next few months.

21-15

Go Bears!! Still proud to be one. Let’s keep our own playoff streak going.

UNH used the same philosophy as UCA uses...stop the run and make them beat
you throwing the ball. The Bears had success throwing the ball...2 big plays for
145 yards and 2 touchdowns. Hildebrand had a career day yardage wise with
27 completions, but they kept everything in front of them and made SURE TACKLES. The Wildcats got 2 interceptions on 2 balls deflected at the line of
scrimmage, one of which was returned nearly 60 yards for a TD and picked up
two fumbles as well. The pick 6 was a huge momentum swing for UNH.
You only get a limited number of possessions during a game...so take away
4 for the Bears and you get your answer.

The stats bear out that UCA was the more dominant team during the game,
but the turnovers are the equalizer. UNH was not the better team on Saturday,
they were just the team that had more points on the scoreboard and that is
how football games are decided. 8)

This game was nearly a duplication of the Samford game a few years back.
Statistically the Bears won that game easily...just not on the scoreboard.

I certainly don't think any less of the Bears after this one. They had a tremendous
year. They are 17-1 in the conference the past two years and have nothing to
be ashamed about.

BPSG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am 
UserName Retired

I can think of 4 times the ball was tipped and nearly intercepted.
I can also think of two times the UNH WR was wide open and just fell.
One more time a RB or the QB ran to the right side and had open space in the red zone and just slipped.

Add to that their DLine was pushing our left side like rag dolls and our QB was running back 10 yards and throwing off his heels...and you get a loss. He had ZERO time in the pocket.

UNH was better on defense than we expected. Of course it was the first time we ever played them too.

They wanted it more. They had hats in our face. They had hands in the air.

Onto next year... =D>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm 
UserName Retired

Seeing uNh get throttled by SDS today makes me think that our coaches (those leaving anyway) has already checked out before our game. We should have thumped them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:00 pm 
Starter

joshuca wrote:
Seeing uNh get throttled by SDS today makes me think that our coaches (those leaving anyway) has already checked out before our game. We should have thumped them!

Man I’m not one to throw around accusations, buuuut (Steve Campbell voice) can see your point. I’d hate to think that was the case, but they definitely did not look nearly as sharp or prepared as well as I’d seen in almost every game this season. Obviously, the coaches wanted to win, but don’t think they prepared them as well as they could have. No excuse to lose a home game to a team ranked 3rd or 4th in their conference when you’re a conference champ and also have a bye week beforehand to prepare even more and get healthy. Some of the adjustments and gameplan the UNH coach implemented really left me thinking he outcoached Campbell & Co big time. But, credit to him for that. Obviously he’s a great football coach.

Not saying the coaches didn’t care, but definitely saying the team didn’t look well coached or very well prepared that day. Take of that what you will.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 pm 
UserName Retired

Did you both watch our game? SDSU might have done the same to us had we figured out a way to overcome the four turnovers because that's what the top MVC/championship caliber teams do. They dominate up front.

Our defense performed well enough to win - strange seeing that according to you guys Coach Stewart was one of those already dreaming of Mobile. UNH averaged just 2.3 ypc. They only had 216 yards of total offense (half of what we had; although our only two scoring plays were 152 yards of our total). But when you lose the turnover margin by 3, you really hurt your chances no matter the competition.

We gave up five sacks and couldn't run the ball. Almost every time he dropped back to pass, Hayden was in a panic. The second touchdown pass to Battle was thrown before he'd gotten open. Did it turn out perfect, yes. But watching it live, it sure seemed like Hayden just flung it out there praying that it worked out just to get rid of the ball. By your reasoning, it may be better argued that Nathan was the one looking ahead at the possibility of being a head coach and unfocused on the game at hand. I'm just not buying any of it. We played poorly and lost to a team we probably shouldn't have.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Did you both watch our game? SDSU might have done the same to us had we figured out a way to overcome the four turnovers because that's what the top MVC/championship caliber teams do. They dominate up front.

Our defense performed well enough to win - strange seeing that according to you guys Coach Stewart was one of those already dreaming of Mobile. UNH averaged just 2.3 ypc. They only had 216 yards of total offense (half of what we had; although our only two scoring plays were 152 yards of our total). But when you lose the turnover margin by 3, you really hurt your chances no matter the competition.

We gave up five sacks and couldn't run the ball. Almost every time he dropped back to pass, Hayden was in a panic. The second touchdown pass to Battle was thrown before he'd gotten open. Did it turn out perfect, yes. But watching it live, it sure seemed like Hayden just flung it out there praying that it worked out just to get rid of the ball. By your reasoning, it may be better argued that Nathan was the one looking ahead at the possibility of being a head coach and unfocused on the game at hand. I'm just not buying any of it. We played poorly and lost to a team we probably shouldn't have.

You nailed it. Totally agree.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am 
UserName Retired

Good points Trey. I might have a slight tendency to overreact at times... :lol: