It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coaching Staff
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 pm 
Starter

*Edited to include most recent hires as of 01/10/2018.

So far what we’ve got, and I’m very excited about the staff that Nathan has been able to put together so far. Great mixture of some energizing youth, and some very experienced coaches:

HC: Nathan Brown

OC/QB: Ken Collums
WR/ST: Ryan Howard
RB: Taylor Reed
OL: Gunnar Boykin
TE/AHC: Brooks Hollingsworth

DC/LB: Max Thurmond
DL: Tony Davis
S/Nickel: Chad Williams
CB: Reggie Howard
OLB/Bandit: Mark Sheridan

Last edited by TAW22 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Coaching Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 am 
UserName Retired

Larry Hart went with Campbell to USA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am 
UserName Retired

Ken Collums

Here’s an article about Collums.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am 
Starter

joshuca wrote:
Larry Hart went with Campbell to USA.

Yeah I know he left, I just wrote him down because I wasn’t sure if they’d fill his position with someone else or not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 am 
Starter

Love his staff so far, am familiar with all but the OL coach, what is his background? This staff could generate some excitement with former players &their involvement with the program

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 am 
Two-Time All-American

Gunnar was here on staff as asst OL coach working with Coach Campbell on daily basis.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm 
Team Captain

http://ucasports.com/index.aspx?path=football&

Obviously love his offensive hires. But I am super impressed so far on defense. COach Thurmond seems like a perfect natural fit for D-Coordinator then Chad Williams was a sitting coordinator leaving an FCS job for a postion job on our D-staff. ALso an NFL player!!!

Kuddos so far Coach B!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm 
Team Captain

http://ucasports.com/news/2018/1/9/foot ... ridan.aspx

Seems like a couple good hires to finish staff up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:13 pm 
UserName Retired

I am not familiar with either as a coach but if Norvell has high praise for Howard as a coach and with Super Bowl experience sounds pretty promising. As for Sheridan, not sure what defense he learned on The Hill but Purdue has been making notable progress in recent years and no longer the B10 doormat (that honor belongs to Illinois). Albion College is a United Methodist affiliated school similar to Hendrix and plays D3............same coach since 1997.....when he played for AC they had a record of 25-17.......school is located in the football corridor in Michigan between UM and MSU.....Dad being a NFL LB coach cannot hurt his coaching pedigree.....

Agree that coaching staff Nate has put together looks very good....welcome to all the new coaches and their families to The Stripes.......

CONWAY, Ark. _ The final two pieces of the puzzle are in place for the University of Central Arkansas' football coaching staff as head coach Nathan Brown announced the hiring of Reggie Howard and Mark Sheridan on Tuesday.

Howard, who comes to UCA from the University of Memphis where he was assistant defensive backs coach, will be in charge of the cornerbacks for the Bears. Sheridan will coach outside linebackers and bandits after serving as defensive quality control coach at the University of Arkansas.

Howard was a defensive back at the University of Memphis when he had a serious injury during his senior season. He attacked his rehabilitation and went on to play six years in the NFL for the Carolina Panthers and the Miami Dolphins. He finished professional career with 257 career tackles, six interceptions and four forced fumbles. His interception of New England's Tom Brady took place in the 2004 Super Bowl while playing with the Panthers. He was chosen for the University of Memphis' Outstanding Young Alumni Award in 2004.

"Reggie brings a wealth of experience at the corners spot,' said Brown, who took over the UCA program in December. "He played 6 or 7 years in the NFL and had a great career. He played on the biggest stages football can offer. He intercepted Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. He has knowledge of playing the position, therefore he will hold instant credibility in the room when he gets in front of our defensive backs.

"He came from a great program at the University of Memphis where they have won a lot of football games over the last couple years under (former UCA Bear) Coach (Mike) Norvell. Coach Norvell had nothing but great things to say about Reggie. I am excited to watch our corners unit develop and blossom under his leadership.

Before his stint at Arkansas, Sheridan spent the 2015 season as a graduate assistant for defense at Purdue, where he worked primarily with the secondary. Sheridan joined the Boilermakers' staff after serving as cornerbacks coach at his alma mater Albion College during the 2014 season. He was a four-year letterwinner at safety for the Britons from 2010-13 and elected team captain by his teammates as a senior in 2013. Sheridan also helped Albion to MIAA conference championships in both 2011 and 2013.

Sheridan is a native of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

"Mark comes from a great coaching family,' said Brown. "His dad Bill Sheridan is the linebackers coach for the Detroit Lions. He has grown up around football and that's all his family knows. He had an opportunity over the past couple years to gain Power 5 coaching experience at the University of Arkansas and Purdue University. He is a bright young mind on the defensive side of the ball and we couldn't be more happy to have aboard.'

Brown, who signed 12 players in the NCAA's new early signing period in December, said he is happy to complete his first staff as head coach at his alma mater.

"I am really excited about the way our staff has rounded out,' he said. "We have put great detail into hiring this staff. We wanted men that have a background in our recruiting footprint and men that have a passion for coaching young people to get better in football. I have no doubt that this group of coaches are as good as any staff in the country.

"I can't wait to get to work with these guys and put the highest quality football team on the field next year.'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 pm 
Starter

Was talking to a former player that told me Hollywood coached 3 of the offensive staff plus the head coach. Ought to be plenty of offensive opinions with 4 ex bear qb's plus their coach! This is going to be a fun group and a successful one, imo. Should also draw former players back on game day, these guys are all well liked & respected. Good job by the AD