It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alumni Association
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm 
UserName Retired

http://uca.edu/news/new-director-of-alumni-services-comes-to-uca/

New director with very good experience...comes to UCA from University of Florida alumni services group....former Fayetteville Purple Dog cross country runner....

It is time to really build our alumni membership......I read somewhere that we have had more graduates since 2000 that combined before..... that may be overstated but probably close..we have got to get that group actively into fold.....this is the prime group to buy game tickets and wear The Purple...Jese has the experience to make a difference....

Post subject: Re: Alumni Association
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Amen.

I'm a life member. If you are an alum, please join!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:03 am 
UserName Retired

LCD Article

Quote:
The recent “Bear Your Stripes” campaign – still visible in billboards around central Arkansas and in a banner hanging outside Buffalo Alumni Hall – has been an indicator of ways to succeed in marketing the university’s alumni association.

The campaign began last summer and concluded in its full efforts late last year.

“Aside from being a membership campaign, it really was a great campaign, one of the reasons we’re at a three-year high right now,” Thill said.

Still, alumni participation with the University of Central Arkansas Alumni Association sits at about 3.5 percent, a number that the university is looking to change.

Thill said, in his research, he has found the national average to be more reflective of 20 percent participation or higher.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:40 pm 
All-Conference

He has his work cut off for him....interest in the Alumni Association, IMHO, is at an all time low. Don't know what the answer is. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 am 
UserName Retired

I think part of the problem has a lot to do with marketing and promotions (which have increased the past couple of years). You also need to start pushing the AA while students are in early on in their undergraduate years. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear about the AA until it was about time for me to graduate.
The reason I am a member of the AA is pride. For some reason, a lot of students don't seem to have that same pride in their school. These students need a more tangible benefit for joining the AA (besides rental car and insurance discounts). I think the Bear Your Stripes campaign was great and generated a lot of buzz (hence the 3-year high). Continuing to do these types of campaigns is a great idea. Start'em young!
One thing that I have noticed where I currently work (Harding) is the great sense of loyalty among students and alumni to the university (which equals alumni returning the favor down the road). I know some of this loyalty has to do with religious affiliation, but I also believe that a lot of it has to do with the university immersing the students in the history and mission of the university from the start of their freshman year. The students feel a great sense of pride and become attached to the university like nowhere else I have ever seen. I think UCA would see some benefits from starting to develop a sense of pride (and not just in sports) from the time students set foot on campus.
Just some food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm 
All-Conference

joshuca wrote:
I think part of the problem has a lot to do with marketing and promotions (which have increased the past couple of years). You also need to start pushing the AA while students are in early on in their undergraduate years. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear about the AA until it was about time for me to graduate.
The reason I am a member of the AA is pride. For some reason, a lot of students don't seem to have that same pride in their school. These students need a more tangible benefit for joining the AA (besides rental car and insurance discounts). I think the Bear Your Stripes campaign was great and generated a lot of buzz (hence the 3-year high). Continuing to do these types of campaigns is a great idea. Start'em young!
One thing that I have noticed where I currently work (Harding) is the great sense of loyalty among students and alumni to the university (which equals alumni returning the favor down the road). I know some of this loyalty has to do with religious affiliation, but I also believe that a lot of it has to do with the university immersing the students in the history and mission of the university from the start of their freshman year. The students feel a great sense of pride and become attached to the university like nowhere else I have ever seen. I think UCA would see some benefits from starting to develop a sense of pride (and not just in sports) from the time students set foot on campus.
Just some food for thought.

I agree with everything your saying Josh.

This is going to sound like sour grapes, but it is not. It is just fact.

I wonder just how serious the school is about memberships.

I was a member of the AA for a number of years. I was always more than proud to re-up my membership every year. I think this even goes back before the life time memberships that they added.

I made the mistake of forgetting to re-up my membership. Discovered it about four or five months after it expired.

I made several attempts to re-join. Called the office and left messages. Sent e-mails to the director and assistant director. No response. Heck, I even went by the office on one occasion to re-join, but was asked to come back later because the lady in the outer office couldn't take my money. At that time, I made a couple of attempts to re-join on line, but there was a problem with the website. Heck, I struck out everywhere I turned and just finally gave up.

Don't mind saying that I regret that I let the membership lapse, but that is ok...I have moved on.

Hope this new guy can get some things done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 pm 
UserName Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA hired a person who has very good credentials and experience including at Florida alumni services.....everyone I talk to who has met and talked with him is excited.....he has his work cut out for him, no doubt, but I believe he will have good support from senior leaders.....we alums can help also.....