It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NCAA discussing possibility of losing teams in bowls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20 pm 
UserName Retired

NCAA discussing possibility of losing teams in bowls

Quote:
The NCAA has begun discussions about the possibility of having teams with losing records play in bowl games this season -- a possibility that some say isn’t good for college football.

In April, the NCAA approved an all-time high of 35 bowl games for the 2010 postseason, up from 34 last year. At the time, the NCAA said it would later address what would happen if there weren’t enough teams with the minimum six wins necessary to fill those 70 spots.

One of the main reasons I never want to be in the FBS...unless they change this of course.

Post subject: Re: NCAA discussing possibility of losing teams in bowls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 pm 
UserName Retired

I thought bowls were rewards for good play. Now it's just about putting butts in seats for advertisers. The biggest reason the FBS is a joke to me. The best two teams don't always play for the championship..unlike the FBS where a playoff makes you earn a shot at the title. =D>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

There will be as many bowl games as sponsors can find TV slots and make money....whoever thought FBS is not about money?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:28 am 
UserName Retired

You boys have to be politically correct now. Remember, little Johnny has to get that 2 foot trophy as an award for his team coming in last place. A pat on the butt was all we got back in the day. Winning is not pc nowadays - playing the game is - no matter the results. It's the new American way. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 am 
Team Captain

Honey Bear wrote:
You boys have to be politically correct now. Remember, little Johnny has to get that 2 foot trophy as an award for his team coming in last place. A pat on the butt was all we got back in the day. Winning is not pc nowadays - playing the game is - no matter the results. It's the new American way. :wink:

In football, there are winners and then there are losers. If you can't win, tough. You need to improve. If you can't lose, well you're doing stuff correctly. This idea is dumb and I am glad my university of choice will soon have the opportunity to play in a playoff system, THAT WORKS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 am 
UserName Retired

I think sometimes we give the FCS system a little too much credit. Let's not pretend that they aren't trying to make the most money possible too. The most money for the FCS probably comes from a playoff system where people host games on their campus.

You think 30,000+ FCS fans would travel to bowl games? Nope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 am 
UserName Retired

Makes me wonder how the FCS playoff format is set up. Do teams with good attendance get to host games or are playoff games confined to regional games. Seems to me I remember looking at some of last year's playoff games where the host school had averaged anywhere from 3-6 thousand fans during the season but yet the visiting schools had larger attendance during the year.

Of course if the committee goes strictly by seeding then a 20 seed team with 15-18,000 fans will do a lot of travelling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am 
UserName Retired

Where's TT when you need him?

I am almost certain that the seeded teams get home field advantage when facing lower teams, but after that I'm not sure if it is a bid process where the teams bid to see who hosts and the one with the most money wins the ability to host the game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm 
All-American

A bowl game for the loser bracket? You have to prove how bad you are? Geeezz. I guess that would be the Toilet Bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:29 pm 
All-Conference

Bowl games are moneymakers and draw attendance, TV ratings and advertising. FBS should have a playoff but fear of losing that bowl revenue is what prevents is from happening. I was reading recently how the FCS playoffs are very poorly attended with the excetion of games at Montana and the playoffs lose money.

When you can get 10,000 fans from a 6-5 Sun Belt team on a Tuesday night playing 8 hours from home, you see why the bowl people make sure the NCAA doesn't do the right thing and move to an FBC playoff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Crump1 wrote:
Bowl games are moneymakers and draw attendance, TV ratings and advertising. FBS should have a playoff but fear of losing that bowl revenue is what prevents is from happening. I was reading recently how the FCS playoffs are very poorly attended with the excetion of games at Montana and the playoffs lose money.

When you can get 10,000 fans from a 6-5 Sun Belt team on a Tuesday night playing 8 hours from home, you see why the bowl people make sure the NCAA doesn't do the right thing and move to an FBC playoff.

I remember the glory day of ASU finishing the regular season 1 game above .500.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:35 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
Crump1 wrote:

I remember the glory day of ASU finishing the regular season 1 game above .500.

I remember the glory days of national championship games and titles.

My post wasn't a shot or bragging, just pointing out that there's a reason why the number of bowls keeps climbing.