It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arkansas State Loses Coach to Auburn
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 pm 
Team Captain

When was the last time UCA reworked CC's contract? It may be time to step it up a notch and attempt to keep him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 pm 
All-Conference

Conque surprises me every year that he just keeps winning despite losing players and an increasingly difficult schedule. For some reason, schools don't give him a look and I know he is interested in other jobs. It isn't fair but nobody came after Larry Blakeney and he won national titles at D2 and FCS before dominating in FBS for a few years. For some reason some guys just get passed over and they are no longer a hot name.

La. Tech lost their coach today but so far they are not mentioning Conque. THey mention the same guys ASU is looking at and are looking to pay the same kind of money if need be.

As for ASU moving, they are talking to other conferences. There are conferences that are not focused solely on Market and there are schools that make the move despite a smaller market. There are not really any schools out there that are more attractive than ASU that are not in CUSA or MWC at this point and those conferences will be adding soon.

I just hope ASU moves quickly since others are jumping in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
All-Conference

1868Alumni wrote:
In my opinion ASU is not going anywhere crump, and for the same reason u brought up- markets. Jonesboro is not really in the Memphis market and on its own is not going to attract a better conference. Uca has a different problem we are in a large market 900k-1million thanks to little rock, but if you look at marketshare, we probably only carry 10% on any given Saturday.

Not bashing ASU (I have family enrolled there now), just stating the facts you don't have enough TV sets to ever get conference USA invite. I honestly believe the best way to improve both of our situations is to play each other every year in basketball, football, and baseball. If people can build traditions around yearly games then it can do nothing but help.

Unfortunately,I have to agree with this assesment. Under the right leadership, UCA could capitalize on the market they are in and,eventually,pass ASU as the second largest program in the state. Location,location,location. It will take a great effort by some folks with a lot of vision,but it is very doable. Jonesboro.....not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am 
All-Conference

Idabearspappy wrote:
1868Alumni wrote:
In my opinion ASU is not going anywhere crump, and for the same reason u brought up- markets. Jonesboro is not really in the Memphis market and on its own is not going to attract a better conference. Uca has a different problem we are in a large market 900k-1million thanks to little rock, but if you look at marketshare, we probably only carry 10% on any given Saturday.

Not bashing ASU (I have family enrolled there now), just stating the facts you don't have enough TV sets to ever get conference USA invite. I honestly believe the best way to improve both of our situations is to play each other every year in basketball, football, and baseball. If people can build traditions around yearly games then it can do nothing but help.

Unfortunately,I have to agree with this assesment. Under the right leadership, UCA could capitalize on the market they are in and,eventually,pass ASU as the second largest program in the state. Location,location,location. It will take a great effort by some folks with a lot of vision,but it is very doable. Jonesboro.....not so much.

Chances are that ASU will end up in CUSA or MWC but if they don't, we will add two strong programs and rock on.

I don't understand how people can knock Jonesboro as something less attractive than Conway. I like Conway and I think you guys have a chance to surpass UALR because people in LR just don't care about that program and UCA is more of a traditional campus and college town like ASU.

The towns are very similar. JB is a bit larger and if you haven't been lately you would be shocked at both the downtown entertainment and dining and the continued expansion of the town including the new medical center being constructed. Ask Trey about the downtown in JB and there are a half dozen more establishments that have opened since he was there last year, including Vino's. Both Conway and JB are growing cities near major markets (LR and Memphis).

If UCA were to expand the stadium, improve facilities and get ready to move up I would rather have you guys in the SBC over UALR.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am 
UserName Retired

Yeah, UALR would suck at football... 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

John Thompson is the interim coach? Lol

That SOB is so shady, he'll probably bail out on them BEFORE the bowl game!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Purple Pride wrote:
John Thompson is the interim coach? Lol

That SOB is so shady, he'll probably bail out on them BEFORE the bowl game!

He just put down some more roots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Not sure anyone is dissing JB as a nice place. I am very familiar with JB and agree it is a nice place to live and go to school. I took the comment to be that Conway is actually a part of the LR TV market that offers an (under-developed) opportunity that JB does not have with Memphis.

I would love for A-State and UCA someday to be FBS together in the same conference. However, we are no yet ready.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm 
Team Captain

Well said JRK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 pm 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Not sure anyone is dissing JB as a nice place. I am very familiar with JB and agree it is a nice place to live and go to school. I took the comment to be that Conway is actually a part of the LR TV market that offers an (under-developed) opportunity that JB does not have with Memphis.

I would love for A-State and UCA someday to be FBS together in the same conference. However, we are no yet ready.

LR is not a big time market and UCA and ASU do not carry that market. UCA can no more claim LR than ASU can claim LR or Memphis. We are college town programs but there are advantages to that situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I see both sides of the issue here...stAte is an FBS program that has made
big strides in recent years in both attendance and the quality of their football
program. UCA has moved to the FCS level and had success with their football
program as well. They have improved facilities and made the FCS playoffs two
years in a row but let's be honest here. Attendance at the games IMO has been,
for lack of a better word...not good. I think the UCA program, for whatever reason
is still looked at as inferior to AR. and stAte. The BEARS get minimal coverage
from the state media, where as stAte gets a article every day in the ADG.
All the media attention from now until summer comes will be about the new
coach at the U of AF and what he has for breakfast. The state media have already
started drinking the coolaid and think this guy is the greatest thing since running
water and he hasn't won a game yet.
Perception is everything...We as loyal Bear fans know what the UCA program has
to offer but without someone of prominence blowing the horn and waving the
UCA flag and making the average fan sit up and take notice, I am afraid we will
be spinning our wheels when it comes to growing our fan base and increasing
donations.
The potential is most certainly there...with a large alumni base in Little Rock.
Getting those alumni back in the fold is a different animal. They are bombarded
every day with nonstop coverage of the Hogs, it's all they ever hear about. I
personally don't have a clue as to how you change the culture of this state. I
do my best to wave the purple and gray banner on a daily basis, but when your
own alumni are card carrying pig fans it's a crying shame.

UCA and stAte and UAPB are all conference champions this year. UAF finished
4-8, but got a new coach and that overshadows everything else. :? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 pm 
UserName Retired

Not really disagreeing with Crump....UCA has yet to capitalize on the LR opportunity and A-State is certainly not shut out of LR market.....I cannot speak for A-State but UCA has to focus on its alumni base within 100 miles of Conway and maybe Memphis where we have lots of grads........wonder how much of adg attention to A-State has been Gus driven? Not that RWs did not deserve coverage before Gus....

adg has this weird view that a newspaper covers what its readers "want to read" rather than news.....under that theory they would not have reported Pearl Harbor attack (today is the 71st anniversary...God rest the souls who died that day) until some survey said people wanted to know about it.... I am OK with adg saying they are homers for hogs and an extention of the SID's office.....that is what they are..... however, many UCA fans do not believe adg will not cover anything postive at UCA so they just tune adg out....maybe Arkansas has few sports fans but many people I know find it interesting how UCA fares when they learn about us even when they are fans of someone else....that seems to be missed by adg editors entirely.

Frankly it is news when UCA wins the SLC, makes the FCS playoffs, has a a pre-season mid major women's basketball AA selection, makes the NCAA volleyball tourney and the list goes on.....

We have said many times on here that we must do a better job in marketing and promotion.....that starts with our students and alumni.....note that both Men's and Women's basketball have seen improved attendance this season....need to build on that....