It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arkansas State Loses Coach to Auburn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm 
Team Captain

Its official Ark State lost their coach to Auburn.

Post subject: Re: Arkansas State Loses Coach to Auburn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm 
UserName Retired

But they were so SURE he was there for the long term. :lol:

It's a job. :roll:

Mo money. Mo money. =D>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Can't blame him. Sunbelt conference is a swirling turd headed down the drain.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm 
UserName Retired

Tough break for A-State.....would have been nice to see if he could lead a break through....good luck to Gus at Auburn...sort of a grist mill for football coaches....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 am 
Two-Time All-American

Now stAte is looking for a new coach...you know that CC will be on the list
of possible new Head men. I wonder what their time frame is? The dominoes
are starting to fall. No program want's to be without a coach for very long with
recruiting season in full swing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm 
Team Captain

I don't know how smart that would be for CC to go after. They have had two of the best years they have ever had and that came with the loss of 25 plus seniors the last two years. With what he has established here and what he has coming back he would be crazy to leave or even think about it.
This may be me being selfish and wanting to keep him but he has created something great here, would love to see him finish it here.
I'm not sure he would even want that job any way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 pm 
UserName Retired

I can't see CC leaving UCA for that job right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 pm 
UserName Retired

Just so we're clear. He would likely (what's the word for multiply by 6) sextuple his salary. What are we paying him? Around $150,000 total? I have no idea.

They were paying Gus something like $850,000+?

I don't know that ASU would even consider him. For Conque, I hope so. He deserves it. For us, I obviously hope not. I don't think it's a secret that I love the guy. But he'd be nuts not to consider that for himself and his family. He could work here for 6 years and do what he's been doing, or he could go to Jonesboro and try it. If he fails after two or three years, he'd still be up $1.5M.

I know Crump1 is a big fan of his. But I don't think many other ASU folks on their message board would be very happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Team Captain

They paid Gus that...That was with a lot of strings being pulled just to get him there. If you dont get those same strings pulled that shows how much they really would want you. It would kind of make you feel like they were settling for you.
I bet the salary would be at least half of what Gus made, maybe less. I know Roberts and Freeze didnt make near that.
I feel like CC is going no where. He has started something and I believe he will finish it unlike a lot of college football coaches are doing now. He says he wants to bring a National Championship here and I have no reason not to believe him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
UserName Retired

Can't argue with any of that, and - again - I don't think it's going to matter.

I feel like I always agree with the things you say, so I was just trying to argue out of boredom I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm 
All-Conference

I think Conque is a hell of a coach and would win at ASU. I don't think he is on the short list but if you don't think he would go then you are as foolish as ASU fans who thought Gus wouldn't leave. ASU is a very attractive job right now and had one of the youngest roster in FBS during this year's title run. It is now seen as a springboard to opportunities and that is fine with me. It beats the alternative.

As for the conference, I believe things will change again very soon. App. State and Ga. Southern are likely to join the SBC and I won't be shocked to see ASU in CUSA or MWC in the future. The SLC loses teams as well. It is part of life these days.

If ASU decides to go the FCS HC route again they won't be paying $200K. Those days are gone. The new President, AD and Chancellor will make sure they pay a competitive salary and for the right guy it will be $850 or more again.

I am not here to knock UCA or Conque. I would be happy to have him. It is just silly to say he wouldn't be interested or to knock the Sun Belt. The team that are leaving are not the teams that are going to bowls. They are crappy teams in big markets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

If you look at Clint Conque's body of work at UCA...stAte would be
foolish to not offer him a job at say, $ 500k a year. The guy has proven
he can win at any level. He is a solid coach, well spoken and he knows the game
of football better than most of us can imagine. Don't sell this guy short on his
ability to coach. UCA will be lucky to keep him this year. He has won 2 conf.
championships in the Southland since 2006 and finished 2nd twice. That's
good stuff in my opinion...being under NCAA probation for 4 of those years.

I certainly hope UCA can keep CC around. He is for sure a great asset for
the university and has taken the BEARS to the next level.

THANKS COACH CONQUE FOR YOUR SERVICE... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Crump1 wrote:
I think Conque is a hell of a coach and would win at ASU. I don't think he is on the short list but if you don't think he would go then you are as foolish as ASU fans who thought Gus wouldn't leave. ASU is a very attractive job right now and had one of the youngest roster in FBS during this year's title run. It is now seen as a springboard to opportunities and that is fine with me. It beats the alternative.

As for the conference, I believe things will change again very soon. App. State and Ga. Southern are likely to join the SBC and I won't be shocked to see ASU in CUSA or MWC in the future. The SLC loses teams as well. It is part of life these days.

If ASU decides to go the FCS HC route again they won't be paying $200K. Those days are gone. The new President, AD and Chancellor will make sure they pay a competitive salary and for the right guy it will be $850 or more again.

I am not here to knock UCA or Conque. I would be happy to have him. It is just silly to say he wouldn't be interested or to knock the Sun Belt. The team that are leaving are not the teams that are going to bowls. They are crappy teams in big markets.

I agree. La Tech may come knocking on his door too. Is it possible for La Tech to join the SBC?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm 
Team Captain

In my opinion ASU is not going anywhere crump, and for the same reason u brought up- markets. Jonesboro is not really in the Memphis market and on its own is not going to attract a better conference. Uca has a different problem we are in a large market 900k-1million thanks to little rock, but if you look at marketshare, we probably only carry 10% on any given Saturday.

Not bashing ASU (I have family enrolled there now), just stating the facts you don't have enough TV sets to ever get conference USA invite. I honestly believe the best way to improve both of our situations is to play each other every year in basketball, football, and baseball. If people can build traditions around yearly games then it can do nothing but help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm 
All-American

Hasn't CC turned down other offers that had more money in the past? From what I hear he and his family really like the city of Conway. Much like the reason Peterson hasn't left Boise St. Some things are worth more than money. Though I believe we don't pay him enough.