It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:44 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Now that the search is on, anyone got any comments on possibilities?

I was told James Dickey is "coaching" junior high in Stillwater.

If Nolan had not taken the Tulsa WNBA job, I could see him doing something like this to stick in someone's face.

Who is the "Matt Daniel" candidate for the men's team?

Post subject: Re: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 am 
Two-Time All-American

Want to put butts in seats with a guy almost universally revered in Arkansas (and liked pretty well beyond), have a young guy who recruits could relate to and want to play for, a guy with an NCAA AND NBA championship pedigree who has NBA connections and knows folks all over, and has played under some of the all-time greats, and a guy who has as much name recognition as anybody around the state (in basketball circles, casual fans, etc.). And on top of it all, a guy who has shown he doesn't require a bank-breaking huge paycheck? This sound like the right guy for the job?

Does to me.

Sign him up tomorrow.

Unless maybe Scottie Pippen wants the gig.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:25 am 
UserName Retired

I don't have any ideas for his replacement, but I do know that I am going to send Rand a thank you email (if he can get it in his listed account) He and his staff did work hard as our coaches and talking with him as often as I did, I can tell you that he had a tough hill to climb and did it the best he could. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes! =D>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:35 am 
Team Captain

My vote is for Mark Downey at ATU. He has had the #1 team in D-II most of this year and is a favorite for the national champ. He has only been there a few years. If my memory serves me, UALR's women got a coach from Tech and he has done okay for them. Some guy named Foley or something! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am 
Team Captain

Rand and his staff are all really good people. Coaching is the most heartbreaking business there is, so much uncertainty for your family and oftentimes, not enough patience on the part of all the folks you are expected to please. But, that is the nature of that business and that will never change. I appreciate all that Rand has done for UCA and I wish him and his lovely family all the best.

James Dickey is a volunteer assistant with his son's Jr High team in Stillwater. His wife is a very successful realtor in Stillwater. James has not ridden a bus to a game in 30+ years, AR, KY, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State. He loves his home state and university but to root his wife from a successful career and to pull his last at home child out of a school he loves for a job that pays less than his wife makes where he will be expected to win and win quick probably does not make sense. James wants that high mid major job that will pay 500,000 +.

Russ Pennell is coaching at a D11 school out west after taking AZ to the sweet sixteen (I believe) last year as their interim coach. He is still the all time leader in many categories on UCA's books. Nice legacy, Ole Miss, AZ, AZ State - when Ole Miss beat AR with east AR kids on a regular basis, he recruited our state for Rob Evans at Ole Miss.

There will be plenty of good candidates. Coaching at D1 is so different in that you must be a bit of a showman, a salesmen, a fundraiser, a constant source of confidence and consensus building and you have to be able to recruit. On top of that, graduate your players or be punished by the NCAA, win without breaking the rules, put up with every armchair point guard in your fan base, and keep your AD and administration happy. Easy job, and do all that at this level with about 32,000 a piece for you assistants who are worked to death. All those interested, sign up!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 am 
UserName Retired

Given the success that Coach Daniel is having with the women's program, I've got to believe that Dr. Teague is going to look strongly at someone who is young and energetic with a proven recruiting track record.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 am 
All-Conference

Quote:
My vote is for Mark Downey at ATU.

That's the guy we need to stay away from. On the current Wonder Boy roster there are 19 players. 5 are D1 transfer, 5 are JUCOS, 9 came from the high school ranks. We don't need another D2 coach who relies on JUCOs and D1 transfers for success.

Russ Pennell has a lot of D1 assistant coaching success in major conferences. In his first season at D2 Grand Canyon, the Lopers are 16-16 overall and 10-6 in Pacific West Conference. He went 21-14 at Arizona last season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:29 am 
UserName Retired

No doubt it's a pretty thankless job - moreso when you're not winning. However, winning is what makes or breaks most college programs when it comes to sports. Our football program is evidence of that over the tenure of our present coach. As fans, the mindset of success is based mostly on "what have you done for us lately". No one has attacked Coach Chappell's character and most people haven't attacked his coaching/recruiting style until the last year or two.

I sympathize with practically all in the coaching ranks who sooner or later get the ax but they also realize that is part of the game that they are involved with. There are a lot of CEOs in the business world that get canned even though their company might have shown a profit. Problem being, it wasn't profit enough. Stockholders want more profitabilty in their company much like fans expect more success with their athletic teams.

As I've said before, coaches and presidents come and go at the college level but the fans and alumni always remain the same - regardless. I think the PTB owe their allegiance first to the fans of the game. After all, the fans attendance and donations are what are paying for everybody else. I think Teague has taken that into consideration and did what he had to do.

Thanks to Chappell and his staff for trying to put UCA back on the basketball map. Your dedication was never questioned. Good luck in your future endeavors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 am 
UserName Retired

BadNewsBear wrote:
Quote:
My vote is for Mark Downey at ATU.

That's the guy we need to stay away from. On the current Wonder Boy roster there are 19 players. 5 are D1 transfer, 5 are JUCOS, 9 came from the high school ranks. We don't need another D2 coach who relies on JUCOs and D1 transfers for success.

Russ Pennell has a lot of D1 assistant coaching success in major conferences. In his first season at D2 Grand Canyon, the Lopers are 16-16 overall and 10-6 in Pacific West Conference. He went 21-14 at Arizona last season.

DITTO!! We've had that, and it doesn't work!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:04 pm 
Team Captain

Well said, Honey Bear - do not automatically discount the coach at AR Tech because of his D11 status - he came from New Orleans after Katrina gutted their basketball program - they have a young man from Benton on their roster that played AAU ball for me - he can coach - there is a lot to be said for youth and enthusiasm at this level.

New Orleans is going from a fairly strong D1 conference (Sun Belt) to D111 - an unusual drop as they battle to survive their financial struggle.

ASU had to get out of their comfort zone financially to get John Brady, but instant turnaround - There is a guy that went from 1,500,000 to 250,000 to get another chance to prove he could coach - i think he appreciates it and will stick around for a while -

I wonder if Joe Foley could coach boys . . . .????? so many possibilities!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 pm 
Team Captain

Very good post old bear. Badnews, just because a coach needed transfers to win at one school doesn't mean we will need transfers to win at another. Third of all why do most of you think when in doubt give an ARK D2 coach a shout? Not always the correct answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Whoever Brad hires certainly needs to recruit strong out of high school and that means out of Arkansas. We have so few D1 prospects in our high schools compared to bigger states and there are a lot of schools who cover those. ....SEC, Sunbelt, Big 12, Southland, Conference USA and Missouri Valley. Don't get me wrong the state has solid basketball in high school and puts out lots of D2 talent. Some of those can grow into D1 players and there are some D1 sleepers out there no one seems to find. The good side is you only need 3 quality players a year coming into the program unlike football where you need an army every year.

Finding the right person will be a hard job that I am glad Brad gets to do and not me. Few D1 head coaches will find UCA a step up although there are some assistants who would. Plenty of D2 coaches would find UCA of interest but that is clearly an adjustment to make for them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:00 pm 
Team Captain

Well put 52. A couple of experienced head coaches that may be worth looking into would be Tim Welsh former Providence coach and Mark Gottfried former Alabama coach. Its sad to fire a class guy like Rand, but its exciting to see what direction the program chooses to go in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

old bear wrote:
Well said, Honey Bear - do not automatically discount the coach at AR Tech because of his D11 status - he came from New Orleans after Katrina gutted their basketball program - they have a young man from Benton on their roster that played AAU ball for me - he can coach - there is a lot to be said for youth and enthusiasm at this level.

New Orleans is going from a fairly strong D1 conference (Sun Belt) to D111 - an unusual drop as they battle to survive their financial struggle.

ASU had to get out of their comfort zone financially to get John Brady, but instant turnaround - There is a guy that went from 1,500,000 to 250,000 to get another chance to prove he could coach - i think he appreciates it and will stick around for a while -

I wonder if Joe Foley could coach boys . . . .????? so many possibilities!!

I have no problem with Joe Foley coming home.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
Want to put butts in seats with a guy almost universally revered in Arkansas (and liked pretty well beyond), have a young guy who recruits could relate to and want to play for, a guy with an NCAA AND NBA championship pedigree who has NBA connections and knows folks all over, and has played under some of the all-time greats, and a guy who has as much name recognition as anybody around the state (in basketball circles, casual fans, etc.). And on top of it all, a guy who has shown he doesn't require a bank-breaking huge paycheck? This sound like the right guy for the job?

Does to me.

Sign him up tomorrow.

Unless maybe Scottie Pippen wants the gig.

I would rather see UALR Assistant Joe Klein.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next