It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:22 pm 
All-American

I would like to see Pippen but that will never happen. Williamson would be awesome. Just don't know if these guys would be interested.

Lets just hope they get someone that is gonna move this program forward instead of the same ole mediocrity that this program has had the past few years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:34 pm 
Team Captain

Pippen and Williamson would be great asst. coaches, c'mon guys.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA vacancy: Part II

Quote:
We'll give our take on what happened to UCA basketball coach Rand Chappell and an overview of the situation in Tuesday's column in the print edition.

For now, here's a quick analysis, based purely on how I see it without any inside information, on some who might emerge as serious candidates, plus few longshots:
Russ Pennell: Conclusion: He should be on the short list.
James Dickey: UCA cannot likely afford him anyway. Conclusion: Obvious candidate but unlikely.
Mark Downey, Arkansas Tech:Conclusion: On the radar but not in the middle of it.
Wes Flanigan, assistant coach, Alabama-Birmingham:Conclusion: Somebody to keep an eye on.
And some candidates that would be clear longshots at this point:
Corliss Williamson, head coach Arkansas Baptist
Scottie Pippen
Joe Kleine
Joe Foley, UALR women's coach

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm 
Redshirt

The guy deserved a chance to coach at least a year or two after the probation period. Basically, he has done the grunt work, and someone else will come in with no chains attached.
Who will replace him? Someone who will use UCA as a stepping stone for a better job. I'm not sure what UCA is after as far as their program goal. To me, at best, they will be a low mid-major team. A coach who achieves any level of success at UCA will leave for more money in a better conference. You folks want another 'Matt Daniel' for the men's side? He has done a great job. That said, how long do you think he will be at UCA? Another couple of seasons like this one, and majors will be calling him and good for him! For those of you who say, 'Look at what Matt Daniel did with the women's team..see it can be done.' Don't compare the men's and women's situation as far as getting talent especially in this region. You can't. It's not that clear-cut. They are two different things. Anyone who has been around the game knows that.
I was only able to attend 5 or 6 games this year. Although it was a small number of games, I didn't get the impression that his coaching was an issue. I saw an uncomfortable number of mental errors on the part of the players. Most of those errors are things you can't really coach and/or should be second nature to players at this level...missed layups, missed foul shots, dribbling into traffic for some reason, ball-handling issues, not boxing out around the boards. Those things really hurt when most of the established teams you play have better overall athletes. I think the UCA players have the ability to do those things...I saw it a few times. At times, they executed well. For some reason, they just didn't do those things consistently. Is that purely the fault of the coach? I don't know. I know a little about the game as a fan, but I'm not a basketball expert. However, I wouldn't think things like that should be put squarely on the shoulders of the coach.
I'm not sure they had a pure point guard. I think Pouncy getting hurt was a big injury for them. It seems like the other guards they have were more suited for the 2. Clayborn(sp?) seems like he has some ability at point, but he needs to develop. He didn't strike me as yet having the 'court vision' to effectively distribute the ball.
Bottom line here is what I started with. The coach deserved a chance to recruit and play now that the probation is over.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Welcome to the board sportfan12. As you can tell from the posts we enjoy a wide array of opinions.

Personally I would like someone in the mold of Mike Anderson who teaches in your face defense coupled with constantly changing looks like Nolan made so popular. Of course, I would like someone who really emphasizes the fundamentals like blocking out and hitting 80% Free Throws.

As a fan I have no illusions of grandeur. However, we need to be competing for the SLC crown every year and win every few years and go to the NCAAs. Of course, we will lose the best coaches to "big" schools (ie, those with more money) but that only makes the job more attractive. Along the way we will find someone like a Ron Marvel at the D1 level who finds his home and builds long term like the fellows at Gonzaga and St Mary's.

If UCA wins 20+ every year and does well in the SLC we will see attendance at the FC greatly increase.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

sportsfan12 wrote:
I saw an uncomfortable number of mental errors on the part of the players. Most of those errors are things you can't really coach and/or should be second nature to players at this level...missed layups, missed foul shots, dribbling into traffic for some reason, ball-handling issues, not boxing out around the boards. Those things really hurt when most of the established teams you play have better overall athletes. I think the UCA players have the ability to do those things...I saw it a few times. At times, they executed well. For some reason, they just didn't do those things consistently. Is that purely the fault of the coach? I don't know.

Uhh ... who scouted, graded, recruited and signed those players?

Quote:
The coach deserved a chance to recruit and play now that the probation is over.

No he didn't. He hadn't shown any signs of doing much of anything the right way and there was no hope by much of anybody in the future of the program.

It was clearly the right move. I don't know how, looking at the entire body of work, anybody could disagree.

Anyway now on to McCollum ...

Quote:
Corliss Williamson, head coach Arkansas Baptist: A "wow factor" name. Popular in state. No Division I experience.

No Division I experience? Whoopdeedo. He's got to get it somewhere, right? Where better than the lower end of D-I? The UCA position, right now, is where you take a flier and hire a guy with big upside potential and let him get his experience and hope that experience is good enough for him to go get a bigger, better job. Then you become a good stepping-stone job. You're a long way off from being a destination job in D-I. Might as well jump all over the guy who has a whole lot going for him and will generate interest in your program.

Quote:
Scottie Pippen: UCA legend expressed an interest in coaching when he visited. No coaching experience. Very unlikely UCA could come close to affording him. Only in a fantasy world right now.

Why is it unlikely UCA could come close to affording him? Is his coaching resume so great that he can demand a salary well beyond UCA's range? Oh, wait ... he has none. So while Corliss gets dismissed for having no DI experience, Pippen – who also has no DI experience – is out of UCA's price range? How does that make sense?

What is Pippen doing right now that is so lucrative that he wouldn't take a decent salary at six figures to coach at his alma mater? If he has an interest in coaching, it would be a nice opportunity for him to start out as a head coach, at his alma mater, on the Division I level. That's a pretty good deal for somebody with no real coaching experience.

Quote:
Joe Foley, UALR women's coach: A longshot, but don't chuckle. Before he began a legendary career as Arkansas Tech's women's coach, he assisted the late John Widner with the men. He's well-established as one of the best women's coaches in state history. Would he be interested in trying his skill with men?

Want to talk about people out of UCA's price range ... well here you go. He's making more as UALR's women's coach than Chappell was as UCA's men's coach – I believe. I don't know that for sure, but that's what I've been told. That's probably some factual information worth looking up, though.

Now on to others...

GoldilockswasYummy wrote:
I would like to see Pippen but that will never happen. Williamson would be awesome. Just don't know if these guys would be interested.

1. Why will that never happen?

2. Why wouldn't Williamson be interested? He's at Arkansas Baptist, for crying out loud. I don't know that he is interested, but anybody at ABC wouldn't see themselves as too big-time for UCA - and it's not like he's on the UA radar for head coach.

UCAMonkey wrote:
I would rather see UALR Assistant Joe Klein.

Why? If you're going to bring it up, sell it. Convince somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 am 
All-Conference

First off, I would like to thank Coach Chappell and the assistants for their time and dedication to the program. They are great individuals and I am so happy to have met them and get to know them outside of basketball a few times. I do wish them all the best in their future opportunities.

Second, I don't care what kind of coach we get. As long as they are built right for the program and the university as a whole. Yes men's basketball has had some rough years recently, but we should give it time just like we've done before. The results will be there. I feel whoever we get will do a good job and people who have left us for a while will come back and we may even gain new fans. Let's see how it will go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 am 
Team Captain

BF52 good post, it would be great to be known as the place where "great"
young coaches come and make their name over 4-5 years and go on to
the big money. You might also get an individual that wants to raise their
children in a great town and enjoys not being under the national spotlight.

Thanks to Coach Rand and his assistants for their contribution to Bear basketball.
I hope they all land on their feet and have great careers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 am 
All-American

The reason i say Pippen probably won't happen is because simply he doesn't have any need for a job, this would solely depend on him being bored and wanting something to do other than play on his personal golf course.

As for Corliss

Quote:
Corliss thanks for joining us. I want to ask you, you’re now an assistant for Arkansas Baptist College. A lot of people ask us, you had such a long NBA career, made a lot of money, why are you now coaching for a small school like Arkansas Baptist?

Corliss Williamson: Well I took the opportunity to give back to my community and to start coaching and gain some experience but still have some freedom to do some things with my family rather than being at a Division I program or a bigger school where I have more responsibilities.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/2010/01/corliss-williamson-podcast-big-nasty-back-in-arkansas-coaching-on-the-small-stage-after-playing-with-the-big-boys/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

Good find.

That would sort of make it sound like he's not dying to be a D-I coach, I guess. Hopefully he could be persuaded.

As for Pippen, I don't know if it'd be here or not or how much money he'd demand (maybe it's more because he's Scottie Damn Pippen, or maybe it's less because he doesn't have to have it ... or there's always the possibility that he does?), but a lot of times athletes get a few years removed from their sport and have to find some way to whet their competitive appetite and coaching is a way to do that. A man can only play so much golf.

I don't know if it's a longshot, next to a done deal, something in between or not even a remote possibility, I just know that it would be about a good a way as any to get people interested in UCA basketball. McCollum did say in that blog entry that Pippen expressed interest in coaching ... so who knows?

The Wes Flanigan mention McCollum made is interesting. That doesn't sound like a bad option at all either. The most seasoned coach of the lot, knows the ins and outs of D-I ball and the recruiting process, has been a part of some successful staffs, has worked under Mike Davis, etc. Not as sexy a "name" hire but seems to fit the profile of what you're looking for.

Wes Flanigan bio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:02 pm 
Team Captain

Flanigan can recruit and would be a very good hire.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:29 pm 
UserName Retired

Teague hopes to have new coach by Friday

:shock:

Quote:
"To have it done by Friday, things have to fall into place really well," Teague said. "If our top two candidates turn us down, it will take a little longer."

The top two candidates are believed to be Russ Pennell and James Dickey.

Teague said he has been impressed with the number of inquiries about the job from assistants from major conferences such as the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

For those of you that want the big name and wow factor please remember what happened to UALR when they hired Sidney Moncrief. Not saying a big name can't coach but I trust Teague's ability to find a good fit for UCA. He has made great choices so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:
For those of you that want the big name and wow factor please remember what happened to UALR when they hired Sidney Moncrief. Not saying a big name can't coach but I trust Teague's ability to find a good fit for UCA. He has made great choices so far.

I wonder what dissertation has to say about that... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:20 pm 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:

DITTO!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next