It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm 
Team Captain

Kind if makes you feel good about the prospects though doesn't it. We knew that they would at least inquire about Dickey and Pennell, but to receive interest from assistants from big time programs makes you feel good about your program.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 pm 
Team Captain

I was just dreaming about one of my favoritie UCA alum coaches, Joe Foley. He is very happy, well paid, and content at UALR. I predict he will win a game in the Big Dance or get to the final 8 in the NIT.

My thoughts on men:

1. James D - still yearns for the big time, he will not be a candidate.
2. Russ Pennell - he gave a commitment to his new employer, he is a man of his word and he will honor that commitment.
3. Rob Flaska - former hog assistant beat Texas Tech when he was head coach at Centenary. You got to be a coach to do that. He loves AR, currently an assistant at Texas State.
4. Wes Flanagan - handsome, cocky, articulate, beautiful wife and family, former UALR assistant head coach, son of a coach, great recruiter.
5. Jeremy Cox - won national JUCO at UAFS, coached with Billy Gillespie at AM and KY, currently at South FL with Heath.
6. Dennis Nutt - former NBA Nutt, now in North Carolina
7. Corliss - class act, humble man, great baller, would he move to Conway??
8. Mike Newell - mean as a snake, tough as nails, wants to prove he belongs at D1 level, been to the big dance when UALR was in our shoes, whipped two giants, I know about all the reasons why not but big risks often pay big dividends.
9. Many young cocky assistants from major conferences that are "moosed up" and ready to prove they are the man, cut from much the same cloth as our successful "moosed up" coach of the year, Matt Daniels.

Brad Teague will make a great hire. MD will be a great resource in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Wes Flanigan no doubts knows basketball...his dad was one of the best college guards I ever saw play...tenacious defense, constant hustle and a good shooter....plus learned coaching under Cahrles Ripley at Parkview...surely some of that rubbed off on Wes along the way....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 pm 
Team Captain

Old bear 1,2,4,5, and 9 were your best suggestions. 7 is ok.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:58 am 
UserName Retired

UCA’s Teague getting many inquiries about men’s basketball job

Quote:
Things are moving rapidly in the search for a new University of Central Arkansas men’s basketball coach.

But the process that athletic director Brad Teague wants to complete as soon as possible has hit some speed bumps.

The dynamics of the search changed Monday within a couple of hours.

Teague told some of UCA’s core supporters at the Bearbacker luncheon that his goal was to have a coach in place by Friday if one of the two candidates on the short list said yes.

Later Monday afternoon, Teague conceded that goal was too ambitious and impractical and amended that goal to make it more vague.

“Soon as possible might be the correct term right now,” Teauge said. “It’s gonna take a little longer because of logistics and setting up interviews with people.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Chappell’s dismissal illustrates painful realities in Division I

Quote:
One incidental situation, a footnote, actually speaks volumes to why Rand Chappell is no longer the men’s basketball coach at the University of Central Arkansas.

The Bears had just shot awfully and been pounded 71-47 by Texas-Arlington at the Farris Center in a Southland Conference televison game. For the Saturday afternoon game and to enhance student involvement, UCA officials had planned postseason “shootout” contest with some nice prizes with the new UCA logo. A cheerleader went to UCA officials after the game and said there were no students interested in hanging around and participating in games, even for prizes.

That sense of a lack of excitement and continued apathy for the program apparently got the attention of Brad Teague, UCA’s athletic director, who fired Chappell and his staff late last week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm 
Team Captain

Full Grown Bears are just as smart as old bears, your assesment of my assesment has much merit. Tossing out some names for fun, some for consideration, but you sound like you know basketball. I am proud of Russ Pennell. He said, "these people have given me everything I asked for and all they asked of me was a commitment to stay at least 3 to 5 years. I need to honor my commitment to them." A refreshing attitude in today's world! A lot of really good folks interested in the job. I am really appreciative that some really experienced folks from some excellent backgrounds are interested.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm 
Team Captain

Well, I got the furthest in life in baseball, but football is my love. I have kept up with college sports since I was too small to be keeping up with sports. Losing a coach doesn't excite me much but I love coaching searches and recruiting. Mainly because I like moving on, and want the programs I keep up with the most succeed. I like to see who we can get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 am 
All-American

Why has no one brought this name up yet. I would like to see Phil Jackson as head coach of UCA. Forget all the other guys. Imagine what he'd do for recruiting. I mean a 12 time NBA Champion as coach. Players would be banging down our door to play for us. :D Well just thought I'd share my never in a million years dream with you guys. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 am 
Team Captain

Well, since you want to play, Mike Dunleavy was fired as Clippers GM yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:46 am 
UserName Retired

Actually, I contacted my good friend Larry Bird yesterday and told him about the situation. He's from a small town and seemed very very interested in the possibility of coaching again. I'll tell him the position is still open and he will be in consideration. :roll: 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:26 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm figuring we could get old bear for a song. He could give up his day job - too much pressure anyway - and do something he has always wanted to do. Heck, he might even get rich in the coaching ranks. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Analyzing UCA coaching possibilities from off the radar

Quote:
The search for a University of Central Arkansas men’s basketball coach is at the seed stage, but there will be a lot of tilling and fertilization over the next few days.

There are mixed reports on Russ Pennell and James Dickey, former UCA players considered the top two candidates going in. There are reports things have cooled in both cases, possibly neither is seriously interested or there are issues and/or commitments that might prevent them from being active candidates. Or the pool of quality candidates is deeper than anticipated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm 
All-Conference

Jeremy Cox was my favorite to replace Dickey Nutt before Brady came into the picture. If you can lure him to Conway I think he's be a very good one.

Newell has perceived baggage, but the guy can flat out coach.

I think UCA's location is good and having football and a more traditional campus is beneficial. A nicer arena would help but you have to play the cards you are dealt and a young up and coming coach should not be too hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm 
Team Captain

Thanks, Honey Bear, 13 hour bus rides to Corpus Christi would probably get me, but teaching/coaching at some point has always been my dream. For the skeptics who might not think the interest out there is deep and real, Brad has been at the Big 12 tourney today and SEC tonight. He has a list and he will hire whomever "blows him away" in an interview.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next