It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Basketball Coaching Search
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 pm 
Two-Time All-American

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
As I said before aside from being unproven he will put butts in the seats. Looking at comments on local news sites, and feedback from people I work with that don't care about UCA, they were all excited to see CW coaching UCA. This is a big name in Arkansas, which will help with recruiting, yes hes never done it before but hopefully he will get an experience assistant that has. Remember the last two coaches UCA hired (Daniel (21-8 last season) & McRoberts(27-3 last season) ) I'd say Brad knows what the hell hes doing. So please before you continue to bash because hes not who you with your no basketball experience wanted to hire, give this guy a chance. Really this program has no where to go but up, in wins and attendance. Maybe its because I'm a Cubs fan, optimism runs in our blood, but I am really excited about next season and plan to catch as many games as I can.

Coach Corliss welcome, and may many wins & success follow.

Who is bashing? Examples please?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
UserName Retired

My question is who is this Two time all american everyone keeps posting about? I thought that was a posting rank not a user-name! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
Team Captain

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
As I said before aside from being unproven he will put butts in the seats. Looking at comments on local news sites, and feedback from people I work with that don't care about UCA, they were all excited to see CW coaching UCA. This is a big name in Arkansas, which will help with recruiting, yes hes never done it before but hopefully he will get an experience assistant that has. Remember the last two coaches UCA hired (Daniel (21-8 last season) & McRoberts(27-3 last season) ) I'd say Brad knows what the hell hes doing. So please before you continue to bash because hes not who you with your no basketball experience wanted to hire, give this guy a chance. Really this program has no where to go but up, in wins and attendance. Maybe its because I'm a Cubs fan, optimism runs in our blood, but I am really excited about next season and plan to catch as many games as I can.

Coach Corliss welcome, and may many wins & success follow.

Just FYI...McRoberts was hired by Vance Strange back in '05 where he promptly produced the first winning VB season in 10 years at 24-14. And who coached the last winning vb season before McRoberts you might ask? Why it was Darrell Walsh. I know I know back to CW. Welcome Coach Williamson.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:42 pm 
Starter

I'm very optimistic about next basketball season for the Bears.

WELCOME TO UCA COACH WILLIAMSON!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:52 pm 
Team Captain

Well, here's a full grown opinion. Coach Nasty wasn't in my top 3 or 4 for that matter, but he will bring fans, just alone on who he is and that great fast paced style of play. He will recruit well because kids like NBA players and/or former NBA players. Now, if he doesn't win in at least his second year, the Corliss autographs and coming to the Farris Center to see a former NBA player not win will get old. I for one hope that he can not only win but can take us dancing. Now, lets see if the shoe fits Cinderella.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 am 
Two-Time All-American

Well, Corliss is a surprise and certainly is not the "safe" pick. Everyone I know who knows him always talked about how genuinely nice he was.

I have followed his career since high school and have friends who have known him since elementary school. His play in the old King Cotton Holiday Tourney in Pine Bluff vs Jason Kidd's high school team was legendary stuff. After seeing him in that tourney I knew he was a team player all the way which he proved over and over for Nolan.

His talent as a player is well known and his NBA years no doubt gives him lots of ins with people. He probably has great credibility with high school coaches and NEVER under-estimate the importance of high school coaches in recruiting.

The question is whether he can coach effectively at D1 level and only time will tell. Corliss and Sidney are two different people with different styles....both are beloved favorite sons in Arkansas....they may well have different passions .....different styles in coaching and leadership...I would have thought Sidney would have been successful at D1 but that just shows what I know.

This hiring plus a 6th 1-and-out in the SEC tourney by a local team sorts of rachets up the pressure on the Hill. After all he is one of the most admired uaf players in any sport of all time.

I can't wait for the Bears to play 40 minutes of hell.....if Corliss can find a credible inside threat (6' 8"-6' 9") and a bunch of high energy guard/forwards, this will be fun. If you are a player coming back you have to be both estatic and petrified...who would not want to have a coach with Corliss' achievements as a player..you also worry if you can match his expectations and standards...

Will be interesting to see who he has as assistants and how he goes about personnel.

Corliss may not have been my first choice as I never thought he would want the lower D1 life. He will certainly get my support.

Corliss, Welcome to UCA.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbmltemp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204907039

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:49 am 
Team Captain

52, just who is this UAF you speak of. Univeristy of Arkansas at Fort Smith, University of Air Force, oh you meant the University of Arkansas, good ol UofA , gotcha. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:00 am 
Two-Time All-American

uaf, not with caps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:07 am 
Two-Time All-American

http[url]://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4989802[/url]

Updated: March 12, 2010, 7:10 PM ET
Williamson takes over Bears

CONWAY, Ark. -- Corliss Williamson is taking over as Central Arkansas' new coach, promising a style similar to the way his teams played when he was a star with the Arkansas Razorbacks.

"It'll be pick up and play," Williamson said. "Full-court pressure."

Williamson was introduced Friday by the Bears, who fired coach Rand Chappell after the team went 9-21 this season. Williamson, who led Arkansas to the 1994 national championship as a player, was the coach at Arkansas Baptist before leaving the junior college and accepting the Central Arkansas job.

Central Arkansas, where Scottie Pippen played college basketball, is a relative newcomer to Division I but will be fully eligible for postseason play next season.

"The fact that he's got a name, was an NBA star and a college star will certainly help him," athletic director Brad Teague said. "He will be able to get in some homes that other coaches can't, he'll be able to attract some student-athletes that other coaches couldn't."

Teague said that wasn't Williamson's only virtue.

"It was the plan he showed me and the values that he is going to instill in these young men -- that's what sold me on Corliss Williamson," Teague said. "Coach Williamson wants to mentor these young men and be a role model for these young men so they can grow, learn in life, get a degree and, oh by the way, have a great experience on the basketball court, too."

Williamson is from Russellville, which is about 45 miles from Conway. He won an NBA championship with the Detroit Pistons in 2004. He retired from playing in 2007 and spent the last three seasons at Arkansas Baptist, the last year as head coach.

"We're just excited for him," said Charles Ripley, the athletic director at Arkansas Baptist. "He'll do very well."

Williamson played for Nolan Richardson at Arkansas, part of a team that won the national championship with a style known as "40 Minutes of Hell" that was both entertaining and effective. Williamson was the Final Four's most outstanding player in '94.

"It means the world to me to get the opportunity to represent the state of Arkansas again and a great university that's on the rise," Williamson said.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://search.espn.go.com/corliss-williamson/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=936

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 am 
UserName Retired

Here's most of the article by Nick Walker in today's ADG:

“I feel like this is a perfect fit,” Williamson said, flashing his trademark smile, the one that belied the tough, physical play that earned him the “Big Nasty” moniker. “This is the youngest program in the Southland Conference, and I’m a young coach, but we both want to win, and we’re both going to win.”
Williamson spent the past three seasons at Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock, recently completing his first full season as head coach.
He said he plans to move the ball up and down the court in the style of former Arkansas Coach Nolan Richardson.
“You can pretty much guess that it’s going to be full court,” Williamson said. “You’re going to see us put some pressure on defense, open-court offense. I don’t like watching paint dry. I enjoy pushing the basketball up the court. The game is supposed to be fun.”
It’s been a quick ascension from his hometown of Russellville to Arkansas to the NBA, where Williamson played from 1995-2007, to head coach at Central Arkansas. Williamson won a national championship with the Razorbacks in 1994 and an NBA title with the Detroit Pistons in 2004.
Williamson retired from the NBA in 2007 after playing for the Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Detroit Pistons and Philadelphia 76ers and became a volunteer assistant for Coach Charles Ripley at Arkansas Baptist, a junior college. Williamson took over for Ripley midway through the 2008-2009 season after Ripley gave up his coaching duties for health reasons.
Even Williamson was surprised at how quickly he made the move from NBA retiree to NCAA Division I coach.
“I had a timeline and a plan, and sometimes God has a different timeline for you,” Williamson said. “I spent a lot of time praying and thinking about this job, and I look forward to the task.”
So much so that after being offered the job by Central Arkansas Athletic Director Brad Teague on Thursday, Williamson spent the next 17 hours studying for the NCAA Coaches Recruiting Test. A passing grade of 80 is required before any coach can recruit off campus.
Williamson took the exam Friday and missed only one of the 40 questions, Teague said.
“He was ready to hit the ground running,” Teague said.
Immediately after the news conference, Williamson loaded into a car bound for Hot Springs to watch the Conway and Fayetteville boys play in the Class 7A state championship game.
“I have to get out there, sell myself and sell the University of Central Arkansas,” Williamson said.
There is certainly a buzz about Williamson’s hiring.
The board of trustees room in Wingo Hall was full with members of the Central Arkansas athletic department, students, news media and members of the Williamson family.
“There’s too many of them to name them all,” Williamson joked.
Still, Teague insists Williamson was hired for what he did on the sidelines, not in between them.
“We needed a coach, not a name,” Teague said. “I appreciate all the things that Coach Williamson did as a player, but that’s not why I hired him.”
Williamson’s contract calls for him to earn the same amount annually as Chappell, a three-year deal for $109,000 a year.
Teague said he can understand there being some sentiment that he hired Williamson because of Williamson’s name.
“I get that,” Teague said. “People that weren’t in those interviews don’t know. But, I’ll say this: All they have to do is just meet him. Talk to him for five minutes about basketball. Then they’ll see why I hired him.”
Richardson agreed.
“The keys to any success is to first get the opportunity,” Richardson said. “You’re never going to be anything if you don’t get the chance. I know that Corliss is going to be successful. And, now, he’s got that opportunity.”

I think Nick made a little gaffe in the last two paragraphs. Anybody else catch it? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:59 am 
UserName Retired

Here's DMc's column in the LCD about the hire:

LINK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Here's most of the article by Nick Walker in today's ADG:

“I feel like this is a perfect fit,” Williamson said, flashing his trademark smile, the one that belied the tough, physical play that earned him the “Big Nasty” moniker. “This is the youngest program in the Southland Conference, and I’m a young coach, but we both want to win, and we’re both going to win.”
Williamson spent the past three seasons at Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock, recently completing his first full season as head coach.
He said he plans to move the ball up and down the court in the style of former Arkansas Coach Nolan Richardson.
“You can pretty much guess that it’s going to be full court,” Williamson said. “You’re going to see us put some pressure on defense, open-court offense. I don’t like watching paint dry. I enjoy pushing the basketball up the court. The game is supposed to be fun.”
It’s been a quick ascension from his hometown of Russellville to Arkansas to the NBA, where Williamson played from 1995-2007, to head coach at Central Arkansas. Williamson won a national championship with the Razorbacks in 1994 and an NBA title with the Detroit Pistons in 2004.
Williamson retired from the NBA in 2007 after playing for the Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Detroit Pistons and Philadelphia 76ers and became a volunteer assistant for Coach Charles Ripley at Arkansas Baptist, a junior college. Williamson took over for Ripley midway through the 2008-2009 season after Ripley gave up his coaching duties for health reasons.
Even Williamson was surprised at how quickly he made the move from NBA retiree to NCAA Division I coach.
“I had a timeline and a plan, and sometimes God has a different timeline for you,” Williamson said. “I spent a lot of time praying and thinking about this job, and I look forward to the task.”
So much so that after being offered the job by Central Arkansas Athletic Director Brad Teague on Thursday, Williamson spent the next 17 hours studying for the NCAA Coaches Recruiting Test. A passing grade of 80 is required before any coach can recruit off campus.
Williamson took the exam Friday and missed only one of the 40 questions, Teague said.
“He was ready to hit the ground running,” Teague said.
Immediately after the news conference, Williamson loaded into a car bound for Hot Springs to watch the Conway and Fayetteville boys play in the Class 7A state championship game.
“I have to get out there, sell myself and sell the University of Central Arkansas,” Williamson said.
There is certainly a buzz about Williamson’s hiring.
The board of trustees room in Wingo Hall was full with members of the Central Arkansas athletic department, students, news media and members of the Williamson family.
“There’s too many of them to name them all,” Williamson joked.
Still, Teague insists Williamson was hired for what he did on the sidelines, not in between them.
“We needed a coach, not a name,” Teague said. “I appreciate all the things that Coach Williamson did as a player, but that’s not why I hired him.”
Williamson’s contract calls for him to earn the same amount annually as Chappell, a three-year deal for $109,000 a year.
Teague said he can understand there being some sentiment that he hired Williamson because of Williamson’s name.
“I get that,” Teague said. “People that weren’t in those interviews don’t know. But, I’ll say this: All they have to do is just meet him. Talk to him for five minutes about basketball. Then they’ll see why I hired him.”
Richardson agreed.
“The keys to any success is to first get the opportunity,” Richardson said. “You’re never going to be anything if you don’t get the chance. I know that Corliss is going to be successful. And, now, he’s got that opportunity.”

I think Nick made a little gaffe in the last two paragraphs. Anybody else catch it? :wink:

Um...a paragraph should have at least 3 sentences..that post has single line sentences..where does the paragraph begin? :lol: As for the gaffe.."giving a coach an opportunity".... :wink: :lol: No idea. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:46 am 
UserName Retired

double post :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 am 
UserName Retired

Read it close BC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 pm 
Team Captain

Had the strangest dream last night. I dreamed UCA hired Corliss Williamson was hired as basketball coach. Woke up with the sweats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next