It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recruits
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 am 
UserName Retired

Have we signed any yet? Seems mighty quiet out there.

Post subject: Re: Recruits
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am 
Redshirt

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/jacksonuca.html

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am 
UserName Retired

Stats

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:49 pm 
UserName Retired

I read on the school's basketball website that he didn't see much playing time because of some hotshot he played behind. Website listed Jackson as 6 foot.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:18 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The First Corliss Class looks to have some potential....if JaDarius Davis from Lufkin, TX does as well as a Bear as did another Lufkin native, he will be long remembered.

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=6&article=3769

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Looks like a pretty good crew to me. I think those two Texas HS guys look like they could turn out to be the kind of guys we build our program around – JaDarius Davis in particular. At 6'7", 225 lbs. already, he'll be probably the most physically imposing guy we've had since moving up. Already looks like a grown-ass man, and he'll only get bigger/stronger. Looks like just about the right type of guy for Corliss to be able to teach some tricks of the trade to. And the dude has LUFKIN tattooed down the length of his upper arm, so you know he's a badass. According to what I found through the Googling, he had offers to Texas A&M and Oklahoma State and also bench presses north of 300 lbs. Doesn't sound like a guy you want to pick a fight with.

Davis also evidently has a half brother who is also a half brother to Texas Longhorn star and Green Bay Packer tight end Jermichael Finley and former Texas A&M running back Jorvorskie Lane. Not sure how that all works out and if he is also a half brother to those two or not, but he at least comes from some sort of athletic stock.

And then there's this from ESPN - a scout's take from a bigtime summer showcase prior to his junior year:

Quote:
Jadarius Davis, F (6-6, 210)
Junior, Houston/ Lufkin
Davis is a tad undersized for the 4/5 position, but Davis plays with reckless abandon at both ends around the basket. He did an excellent job defending the much taller Evan Anderson and showed no signs of being timid when he attacked the basket. His post moves are raw and he needs to sharpen his footwork, but he has the heart and athleticism to compete at the mid-major level or higher with more skill development.

And that was prior to his Jr. and Sr. years of HS ball with some AAU time thrown in – you would figure he's had some skill development since that was written.

Here's something on Ball, from ESPN as well...

Quote:
Ellis and the Mustangs call Ball “the head of the snake,” because he leads the team on the floor and does a bit of everything, averaging 16 points, five rebounds and 5.3 assists. Built like a strong safety, the 6-foot-2 point guard can post up and bull smaller guards right into the lane.

Sonnier has already signed with Arkansas-Little Rock, while Ball has received interest from Stephen F. Austin and Santa Clara.

“They’re both dynamic players, and they not only have the ability to score by themselves, but to find way to get their teammates shots,” Ellis said. “It’s not just about how much they score. They always seem to keep a steady head.”

Obviously I haven't seen the guys play, but just based on their numbers, where they come from and the kind of stuff written about them, it seems like they'll be guys who can step in and contribute immediately as freshmen. The two junior college guys you would hope to be able to do the same. Jackson from LR Central was a ranked as a national Top 150 prospect earlier in his HS career - not sure about later, couldn't find anything definitive. But he played at a loaded JUCO and while his stats from there aren't great I don't think that really means a lot about what kind of player he is. The guy in front of him went to UCLA. Last I checked, that's a pretty solid program.

With the Rutledge guy, you get a 6'4" guard who is versatile in how you can use him on the floor, and he's got good JUCO experience and had good numbers. And you have to love Corliss' quote about him...

Quote:
We believe he can play three positions in our system. I coached against him last year and was really impressed by his will to compete. Taking charges, playing defense, diving for loose balls, whatever it takes to win, Mark does it."

I can't wait til around this time next year when Corliss and his staff have had a full year to recruit instead of trying to play catch-up in a two-month span.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, you kind of stole the thunder from the next three days' blog posts on the home page. BUT, I did beat you with the JaDarius stuff.

The others are already written, and scheduled to publish the next few days. Some of them didn't have a lot of stuff available though...

I agree with you completely though. On paper, the two high school guys are a great start for building. The JUCO guys were good high school players who need to help immediately - although Jackson still has three years left to play, so he will also have plenty of time for development.

I was hoping for more, long 6-6 guys that are skinny and projects for him to build into his system. But, I can see how these four will be a good start. And I'm interested to see how the returning roster meshes with the changes.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 pm 
UserName Retired

This looks to be a promising class! I can't wait to see how well they all mesh and play together!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Nothing we don't already know, but Davis signs with Central Arkansas.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
All-Conference

I like this new group of Bears. I can't wait to see them in action!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 pm 
Starter

I saw on the home page that Terry Tidwell was added to the roster as well. He played for Conway before going to UAPB for a year. From what little i could find on him, looks like a good addition also.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 pm 
UserName Retired

Where did you see this? What home page?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:33 pm 
Practice Squad

Terry Tidwell is listed on UCA's Basketball roster at ucasports.com.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

For what its worth, he is not listed on UAPB's 2009-2010 roster.....he did have some stats last year for Lions.....

5.3 minutes per game
5 of 10 FGs
3 of 6 FTs
1o rebounds
4 TOs
13 total points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

caught this bit of news today:
http://katfans.com/newforum/index.php?topic=981.0

Quote:
Sachse 2011 forward Darius Singleton, once committed to a Mountain West Conference school, has found a new home and looks to help Central Arkansas become a force in the Southland Conference.

Darius Singleton
Small forward
Sachse, Texas
Sachse
Ht:6'7"
Wt:190 lbs
Class:2011 (High School)