It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No ASU game?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:57 am 
Team Captain

Coach Brady just said on the Jonesboro radio show "Front Row with Budro" that Williamson gave him a no thanks on playing.

Post subject: Re: No ASU game?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I'd heard there had been contacts but didnt realize it had even gotten that far.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 am 
All-Conference

I was told a while back that the game was set and UCA called and backed out because there was another opponent they wanted to schedule instead. I wasn't told where the decision came from but I know Brady wasn't happy about it.

I can't imagine what the reason would be. Aside from Lu making unreasonable demands I don't see a reason for ASU not to play UCA in any sport either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 am 
Team Captain

A home and home offer at that.

Got to say I'm disappointed, I like short road trips that I can make it to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

It'll happen eventually, don't worry about it.

Of course before Corliss was hired you guys weren't worried about it to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:17 am 
All-Conference

Beary Manilow wrote:
It'll happen eventually, don't worry about it.

Of course before Corliss was hired you guys weren't worried about it to begin with.

Not true. The negotiations started before Corliss got here and he put the brakes on it according to Brady.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:59 am 
Team Captain

Crump I believe he was talking about you wonderful A-Sate fans not worrying about the series.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm 
UserName Retired

Maybe Coach W knows that what he can put on the court next year isn't going to be a whole lot of good? Hopefully saying no now doesn't affect ASU's willingness in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:04 pm 
All-Conference

Full Grown Bear wrote:
Crump I believe he was talking about you wonderful A-Sate fans not worrying about the series.

Your sarcasm aside, that is exactly what I thought he meant and why I replied as I did. If they were working on it BEFORE Corliss was hired then there was obviously interest in the series before he got there. I think the stoppage in play had more to with Hardin and this is a sign of improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:06 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
Maybe Coach W knows that what he can put on the court next year isn't going to be a whole lot of good? Hopefully saying no now doesn't affect ASU's willingness in the future.

I hope so as well, but I also hope the position isn't that he only wants to play us if he has a good team. That is not the strongest stance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Maybe he doesn't need a good team, just one that wins more than three conference games a year (10 the last three years).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm 
Team Captain

If you don't mind being dishonest, then sure that's it, we never cared.

I've said repeatedly that ASU should ALWAYS offer UCA or UAPB the opportunity before playing any out-of-state FCS as our buy game in Jonesboro

I've said plenty of times before that I favored home and home in basketball.

So yeah, as long as you ignore those little pesky facts, I've never cared about playing UCA until Corliss got hired.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

What am I missing? Lu?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 pm 
Team Captain

Corliss is probably trying to have a real year to recruit and it least get some semblance of his stamp on the program before playing a crucial series like ASU before he has the players he needs to compete. A lopsided loss could hurt in recruiting an in state prospect or western TN youngster. He will play them for sure next year. Houston (James Dickey) offered us a home and home as well and he turned that down as well. I was disapointed, we could have filled the FC for that one. CW knows more about this than we do, he has lived it at the highest level. Give him a year or two to get some players and a system and then see if UALR, ASU, OLE MISS, AR want to play!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 pm 
All-Conference

old bear wrote:
Corliss is probably trying to have a real year to recruit and it least get some semblance of his stamp on the program before playing a crucial series like ASU before he has the players he needs to compete. A lopsided loss could hurt in recruiting an in state prospect or western TN youngster. He will play them for sure next year. Houston (James Dickey) offered us a home and home as well and he turned that down as well. I was disapointed, we could have filled the FC for that one. CW knows more about this than we do, he has lived it at the highest level. Give him a year or two to get some players and a system and then see if UALR, ASU, OLE MISS, AR want to play!

No offense, old bear, but this year or next year won't matter. The gap is going to be tremendous either year and most likely for as long as Brady is at ASU. The guy can flat out get players and he has made improvements to already respectable facilities.

Houston wouldn't put near as many butts in the seats as ASU. I know you follow UALR too and nobody sells more tickets for a UALR game than ASU. Intrastate games are like that.