Post subject: Re: No ASU game?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 pm 
All-Conference

FOOT84 wrote:
It may be because UCA offered ASU a three game contract in football a few
years ago. The first two games in Jonesboro and the third one in Little Rock
and ASU said no thanks. What goes around comes around. ASU wants the
hogs to play them in football but when they have a chance to play an instate
school they decline. kinda like the pot calling the kettle black.

ASU is not going to play UCA in LR unless someone makes it financially worthwhile. Just doesn't make sense. As for the pot and kettle, you might want to review history a little.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Question for Bear fans. No doubt ASU can't pay us the kind of money that a "bigger" school can. Are you willing to, say, take half the amount of money from ASU just to play them as opposed to a fat paycheck from another school? Remember, at this level, money is what pays the bills and not bragging rights.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Question for Bear fans. No doubt ASU can't pay us the kind of money that a "bigger" school can. Are you willing to, say, take half the amount of money from ASU just to play them as opposed to a fat paycheck from another school? Remember, at this level, money is what pays the bills and not bragging rights.

Yes, I want to play them regardless, but not every year...like you said, we have to pay the bills.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:44 pm 
All-Conference

Yes. I would love to play them. But I also understand we have to pay the bills. So I am fine with playing OSU, Ole Miss, Colorado, etc.

But in my heart, I'd rather see an ASU-UCA game. I think that could develop into a good hearted, fun rivalry over the next 20 years. At least for all us fans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 am 
Team Captain

Crump1 wrote:
I am pretty certain that ASU contacted UCA and UAPB recently about future FB schedules. Let's hope so. It would be nice to see 40,000 people packed into the stadium for that!

We had deals with UAPB fall apart this year and last.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 am 
Team Captain

Beary Manilow wrote:
But my main point was that stAte isn't going to take some meteoric rise to a super-elite status where it can't be bothered with home-and-homes with piddly Southland schools (UCA included) ... which is what the other guy was saying.

That's not what I said.

I said the risk exists that if ASU begins drawing well that we will play fewer home/home series. Simple economics your response was not in any way justified based on anything I wrote, but rather your twisting to be something different.

A school averaging 6,000+ (which ASU has been before) tends to play fewer home and home games. That's the economics of the business. It also isn't something that requires a "metoric rise to super-elite status".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:20 am 
Team Captain

Beary Manilow wrote:
The difference is, last time you were drawing well there wasn't an in-state team a couple hours from Jonesboro in the Southland.

That's the draw and what Brady is really concerned about (right. :roll: ) - playing an in-state school, not playing a Southland school. The conference affiliation shouldn't have any bearing on it.

It's one thing to pass on a home & home with Sam Houston State - where you're bringing in a team nobody really cares anything about (even though they're pretty good) and going the following year to a place where nobody cares about you; and passing on a home & home with UCA - where there's the wonderful in-state competition angle and you bring in an opponent that will bring some fans and generate local interest and then, on the other side, have a short road trip in an area where a lot of your alumni are and many of your fans can attend.

No there was a TAAC team in Central Arkansas and we are such elitists that when the American South and Sun Belt merged and your now conference mates at Lamar tried to block UALR's admission, ASU got them in despite the fact that UALR had canceled a multi-year contract that cost ASU thousands of dollars a few years earlier in a political move pushed by the UA system.

Weird thing about college athletics. Most schools do what is economically best for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 am 
UserName Retired

arkstfan wrote:
Crump1 wrote:
I am pretty certain that ASU contacted UCA and UAPB recently about future FB schedules. Let's hope so. It would be nice to see 40,000 people packed into the stadium for that!

We had deals with UAPB fall apart this year and last.

Did they double-book? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

As much as I like Monte Coleman, something always seems to happen when uapb is involved...they need to prove they are a reliable game partner....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 am 
All-American

Dead topic, UCA VS ASU on Sept. 24th 2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:54 am 
UserName Retired

Shouldn't this no longer be a topic in the Football forum? We got a little sidetracked here. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 am 
Team Captain

GoldilocksWasYummy wrote:
Dead topic, UCA VS ASU on Sept. 24th 2011

The basketball issue remains and I still don't get to drive over to Conway to see ASU and UCA play in basketball.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

or woman's basketball, or baseball, or volleyball, etc... yep still a long way to go, but this is a start at least.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 pm 
Team Captain

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
or woman's basketball, or baseball, or volleyball, etc... yep still a long way to go, but this is a start at least.

Baseball sort of went sour when UCA demanded the buyout fee rather than reschedule for a future date when a schedule conflict arose. Maybe the coaching change at ASU will change that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

arkstfan wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:

Maybe the coaching change at ASU will change that.
and UCA too...