It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battle of The Bears
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:37 am 
Two-Time All-American

Next up for Corliss & Co. are the Badly Drawn Bears of Missouri State.

The BDBs are 5-2 on the season with 43 points of win over Arkansas teams. Missouri State likes to score 80 against Natural State teams, beating stAte 80-71 and uAlr 80-46. One of their two losses was a four-point defeat at No. 23 Tennessee. They did not score 80. MSU is 9-2 all time against UCA.

The guy most likely to give the Better Logo Bears

problems is Kyle Weems, a 6-foot-6, 232-lb. junior forward.

Weems is averaging 14 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1 steal per game. He had led the other Bears in scoring in five of their seven games.

The guy second most likely to give UCA fits is 6-9, 248-lb. Will Creekmore.

Creekmore averages 12.4 points and 6.7 rebounds. He also leads the team with 16 turnovers. Led team with 16 points in win over UALR. Had 12 rebounds in win over Pacific.

When our Bears cheat down to try to force Creekmore into another turnover, the guy most likely to make them pay is 6-1 senior guard Adam Leonard, who has hit 17 3's this year and shoots 34 percent. UCA has three different guys with 8, in one less game.

Leonard hit 103 treys last season, the fifth player in the history of the Missouri Valley Conference to do so.

Missouri State has the coach on our schedule most likely to give Corliss a challenge in a game of one-on-one.

Cuonzo Martin played alongside Glenn Robinson on some damn tough Purdue teams in the mid-90s, basically the same years that Corliss was at Arkansas. From his bio on MSU's website...

Quote:
He went on to compile 1,666 points in his 127 career games at Purdue, including an 18.4 point-per-game scoring average as a senior. He made 43.9 percent of his field goals as a senior, including 46.9 percent from three-point range, and was an 80-percent free throw shooter.

 During his last two seasons, Martin was 179-for-390 (.459) from three-point range to lead the Big Ten. He was fourth in the league in scoring as a senior and helped the Boilermakers to their second of three consecutive Big Ten titles. He also was named to Dick Vitale's All-Defensive team in 1995.

 During Martin's four years, Purdue was 90-37, including 54-12 the last two seasons, with a pair of Big Ten titles.

 Martin played professional basketball for four years, with brief NBA appearances with the Milwaukee Bucks (twice) and Vancouver Grizzlies. He spent most of his playing time in the Continental Basketball Association and Europe. He was team captain and leading scorer for three seasons with the Grand Rapids (Mich.) Hoops and was the leading scorer for the Felize Scandone team in Avellino, Italy, in 1997.

If the game were to go to overtime, I would be totally fine with letting Corliss and Cuonzo settle it mano y mano in a game to 11.

Missouri State plays in a $30-million dollar palace called the JQH Arena. The JQH stands for John Q. Hammons, who owns a bunch of hotels all over the nation.

They are averaging 6,140 attendance in four home games this year. Since the start of the 2006-07 season, the average of their average home attendance is 6,670. This is a place that takes its basketball seriously, and does it up right. MSU is 32-10 all-time in the building.

The Google maps tell us that Springfield is 187 miles away and a 3:34 drive. One could, theoretically, leave at 3 p.m. and arrive before tipoff. This is a trip Bear fans should try to make if they want a good look at what legit Division I college basketball looks like beyond the BCS conferences.

Notable alum:

Rand Chappell (semi-retired golfer)

Chappell is most known for owning a share of the Missouri State record for runs allowed in a game (see pg. 9), having surrendered 13 to Southern on 3/20/84. He was also a successful head basketball coach at Division II Henderson State University in Arkadelphia before taking over at UCA, where he guided the Bears to a six-point defeat to something called Central Methodist in his 7th season.

Tip is set for 7:05. Fans can meet Santa Claus and receive free milk prior to the game.

Post subject: Re: Battle of The Bears
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That is some great information. Thanks! What are the chances of UCA getting
an arena like that?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:10 pm 
Redshirt

Just wanted to stop by and wish safe travels to anyone making the trip up to see the game tonight. Looking forward to seeing our team play against your team's style of play...not many teams press and run in the Valley.

One minor correction on the thread our arena actually cost around $60 million dollars...$30 million was the donation from Mr Hammons to build it. It is a very nice facility and we are 23-2 in our last 25 with a 12 game winning streak (16 game non-con)

Good luck tonight and the rest of the season!

www.msubearnation.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 pm 
Two-Time All-American

TNMSUFAN wrote:
One minor correction on the thread our arena actually cost around $60 million dollars...$30 million was the donation from Mr Hammons to build it.

The Googles can be tricky sometimes. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:55 pm 
UserName Retired

Witty yet informative opening post there BM. I noticed the time - 12:37 am. Wife hadn't got home yet from her hen party? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:32 pm 
Redshirt

Beary Manilow wrote:
The Googles can be tricky sometimes. I stand corrected.

No worries at all and well done on the post.

All of our home games are streamed live so for those not making the trip I would check channelsurfing.net to see if our game comes up there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 pm 
UserName Retired

Half
UCA 26
MO ST 51

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
UserName Retired

FINAL
UCA 61
MO ST 101

Ouch... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 am 
Two-Time All-American

Missouri State obvioulsy has a quality team. Their record speaks volumns
about the program. Hopefully we are headed in that direction. It is going
to take some time. Maybe in about 3 years, we will get to that level. 60 million
for an arena. That seems a little high. Don't think the Jack Stephens center
at UALR cost near that much did it? I thought it was in the mid 20 million range.

GO BEARS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 am 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
FINAL
UCA 61
MO ST 101

Well we could say the refs cheated us like the uaf fans would do, even though
we know it aint true

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:27 am 
UserName Retired

I remember our two trips to Mo. St. for football. Both times taigating there were some of their fans close to us. After talking football for about five minutes they always turned the conversation into roundball. They take their basketball very seriously up there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Redshirt

The final cost for JQH Arena was 67.24 million dollars. It ain't a bad barn. If this series continues, I recommend the trip. Springfield/Branson area is pretty nice. Anyway, have a great season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 pm 
UserName Retired

FOOT84 wrote:
joshuca wrote:
FINAL
UCA 61
MO ST 101

Well we could say the refs cheated us like the uaf fans would do, even though
we know it aint true

I was driving home from work one night and they were winning by 12 and all I heard from the radio guy was how EVERY call against them wasn't actually what happened. Of course, I quickly turned it over to THE BEAR. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 pm 
Redshirt

FOOT84 wrote:
60 million for an arena. That seems a little high. Don't think the Jack Stephens center at UALR cost near that much did it? I thought it was in the mid 20 million range

I went to our game at UALR last year and Jack Stephens is a very nice smaller arena but not on the same level as JQH. JQH seats more in the lower bowl (6054) than Jack Stephens holds (5600) and overall JQH is an 11,000 seat arena with 22 luxury boxes plus club level seating. Apples and oranges but again UALR's gym was really nice.

Good luck the rest of the season!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:55 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
TNMSUFAN

Where exactly did yall get that much money for a basketball court other than the half King Midas donated?