It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About what I expected
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am 
UserName Retired

Last night's 53 point loss to Missouri doesn't upset me or probably any of you one bit. Anyone expecting anything more might be a true fan but a hopeless realist in life. There were two games being played at the same time last night. The game of basketball and the game of wits. The game of wits was not between two coaches but between a coach and his own players. Corliss wanted to show his players up close and personal just what can happen when you dedicate yourself to a particular style of basketball. One can't help but be impressed by the hustle and performance of a team like Missouri last night.

For those of us that have played the game and studied the game, we know this type of basketball team does not happen overnight or maybe even over a span of a couple of years. Special athletes with special talents and a specific goal are needed to make this type system work. Will Corliss be able to find 10-12 players at our level to put together such a program? Time will tell. If he does, then I see a lot of exciting basketball in the future for UCA.

My only complaint about last night's showing - the uniforms. Have we completely abandoned the official purple and gray colors. Be completely honest here. If you hadn't known our true school colors, what would your guess have been from watching the game? Anyone that answers by saying something other than black and blue (that was the lamest shade of purple I've ever seen) is, to keep it nice, a fibber. I don't care if we accept the rainbow as our official colors but what our official colors are should be our predominent colors of our uniforms. I'm old enough and nostalgic enough to honor that tradition of exhibiting the colors of your school. We are hardly seeing any gray in logos, uniforms, etc. anymore. That's just a little disrespectful to the alumni that have walked this campus for the last 103 years in my opinion.

But hey, if you want the colors changed, then put it to a vote and do it democratically instead of through idealism. I'll have no problem with that.

Post subject: Re: About what I expected
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:55 pm 
All-American

I like the black and purple much better than our old uniforms.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:32 pm 
All-Conference

Can we create a separate section for the color black so I don't have to read about.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:33 pm 
UserName Retired

BadNewsBear wrote:
Can we create a separate section for the color black so I don't have to read about.

Or you can just quit reading when you come to the word black.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm 
UserName Retired

The first 5 minutes or so was fun to watch. I agree with HB, it was about what I expected. I sure hope Coach Williamson can recruit his type of player to UCA and the SLC.
On a personal note, I like the use of black, it looks better than they gray. I understand that black isn't our official color, but it jus doesn't look good on the jerseys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
I like the use of black, it looks better than they gray.

Most of the younger people do , most of the older people don't. The majority of donations being made to UCA are by older alumni and they should have a say about the situation. Coaches shirts are now mostly black, walls are being painted black, warmups are now mostly black, jacketsare black, caps are black... See the trend here. Take a vote to either change the colors or keep them the way they are. Like I said, I don't care either way except for the fact of tradition. I just feel all alumni and students should have a say in what the school colors should be. One person or a small group of people with a personal preference shouldn't have the power to quietly change a 103 year old tradition - or whenever it was it decided that purple and gray would be the official colors.

There's one good thing I can find positive to say about the Razorbacks - they're damn proud of their red and white and proudly display it. I guess tradition is just more important to some people than others.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:39 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm with HB on this but I don't mind black and can see black and gray (grey) are neutral colors that usually go with anything. IF black is used, I'm sure it won't be for more than a few years because color schemes come and go..ask the ducks of that school that changes uniform colors and schemes every game. :lol:

Last edited by BearCountry on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 pm 
2nd Team

the first five minutes was fun to watch? what's fun about being down 12-0 and looking like we were way outmanned?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:48 am 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
There's one good thing I can find positive to say about the Razorbacks - they're damn proud of their red and white and proudly display it. I guess tradition is just more important to some people than others.

Actually, there is/was an entire Web site set up by some Razorback supporter(s) to complain about the use of the color black in logos and apparel.

It's odd to me that you're more FOR changing school colors than just using black in a uniform design. Wouldn't an actual change in the official colors be more upsetting to the older alumni?

And if you take a look around the country, it doesn't really matter what older alumni think any more. How many older alumni like those Nike Pro Combat unis? I'm guessing about 0%. But you sure see more and more schools wearing them occasionally.

bearwithme wrote:
the first five minutes was fun to watch? what's fun about being down 12-0 and looking like we were way outmanned?

Ha. That was my first thought as well. Maybe it was the next five minutes he was referring to. Because it's wasn't any point after that -- unless you're a Tiger fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am 
Two-Time All-American

The game was about what I expected. It will take Corliss a year, two, or eve three to get the players he needs to even begin to play his style of basketball.

Now on to the colors (again).

For YEARS white has been used extensively as one of UCA's colors in uniforms and logos although Purple and Gray are our official colors. Black is a neutral color (just like white) and MANY schools are now using black extensively in their uniforms and logos. This is true in particular of schools whose base color is purple (Northwestern, TCU, Washington, and yes evn convervative Ouachita). The black looks great with purple.

It looks good, the kids LOVE it so it helps in recruiting, and I like it a lot.

For the record I am an alum, I am not young (57) and I give to UCA generously (at least in my opinion I am generous).

And we do use Purple and Gray (sort of silver which I like) in our football uniforms.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 pm 
UserName Retired

Ok, maybe it wasn't the first 5 minutes of the game. I'll just say early in the game instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:59 am 
All-Conference

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Now on to the colors (again).

For YEARS white has been used extensively as one of UCA's colors in uniforms and logos although Purple and Gray are our official colors. Black is a neutral color (just like white) and MANY schools are now using black extensively in their uniforms and logos. This is true in particular of schools whose base color is purple (Northwestern, TCU, Washington, and yes evn convervative Ouachita). The black looks great with purple.

It looks good, the kids LOVE it so it helps in recruiting, and I like it a lot.

For the record I am an alum, I am not young (57) and I give to UCA generously (at least in my opinion I am generous).

And we do use Purple and Gray (sort of silver which I like) in our football uniforms.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Get over the use of black people! It's an official accent color in our official logo! We have used white in uniforms for years! What's the big deal? If recruits like it then I say use the heck out of it! We don't have the luxury of being a Penn State or an Alabama. Our uniform doesn't define our program. As a rising program, I think we should use every thing at our disposal to gain a little bit of an edge. And if that is playing in uniforms that the kids like then by all means, do it!

In 20 years when we have won numerous conference championships and a few national titles, then we can worry about uniforms. Let's focus on a tradition of winning championships before we worry too much with nitpicking what the kids have on their back. I think the Athletic Department is doing a great job with building a buzz around our programs and making them attractive to young people across the country. Go Bears!!!!