PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm 
UserName Retired

9:19 left in 1st

UCA 6
Nicholls 24

Post subject: Re: UCA cd Nicholls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm 
All-American

:oops: Is it me, or has our shooting gone south for the winter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm 
Two-Time All-American

With 4:28 to go Bears have hit 14 of 37 from field for 38%.......30% from 3s and 50% from FTs....only 3 offensive rebs is a killer....however, only 9 TOs.....

Nicholl's Anatoly Bose is very good....19 points with 13 rebs...as I recall he was tough to guard last year at FC and could make shots even when doubled....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bears fall 70-48.....now 5-21 and 1-12...ouch....

Coach not very happy with lack of focus, and being out rebounded at home and getting whipped off the dribble....got outshot from field by 55% to 38% with almost identical number of shots....whipped 38-23 on boards.....Nicholls was +7 (18/11) on A/TO while Bears were 9/9...at least much better ball protection with only 9 TOs....

NSU's Bose ends up 21/14.....Qahwash leads Bears with 13 ponts (only Bears in doubles) and Sheppard does 6/6....Colonels had threee double figures .....21/17/15...

Got to keep working......they beat SELA at FC....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:35 pm 
Redshirt

Having fun yet? What a season! Just wait till next year when all of Chappell's seniors are no longer eligible to play. A true farce!

One thing for sure, though, someone will make sure those attendance figures soar. Wouldn't matter if only a dozen people showed up the rest of the season the average attendance will be higher, for sure. More enthusiasm, too. Maybe you should ask the players about their enthusiasm.

Sell a president down the river after doing someone else's bidding...fire a coach who doesn't play a certain unqualified player enough....a classy program

Division I? What a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Have not seen the bears play this year, so someone who has may be able to
answer this question for me. Do we have any (PLAYERS) on the team? Not bodies
in uniforms, but true basketball players. I'm not trying to be critical of the kids, but
it seems to me that our talent level may be at an all time low. What do you guys
think?

Post subject: Re: UCA vs Nicholls
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm 
Practice Squad

Talent is definitely low. Last year's team had more overall talent in Rueter, Rehmel, and Poellnitz. Also, these guys are not built for the style Coach W wants to play. It is hard to win games when your margin for error is so small.
Look forward to next season with so many new, talented, young players coming in; including three redshirts who have been learning the new system for a year now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 pm 
Redshirt

Disaster of a game. Players played hard enough but could not stop the drives. And, bluntly, they got not much help from the bench. Playing out the string getting blown out in a conference that is considered very weak.

Better be able to recruit because past reputation as a player at another time and place will have no bearing on kids who will have lots of opportunities at established programs with experienced coaches. We can hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 am 
2nd Team

Nicholl's Anatoly Bose is very good....19 points with 13 rebs...as I recall he was tough to guard last year at FC and could make shots even when doubled....

uh, looks like he scored 6 points last year at the FC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 am 
Two-Time All-American

Bear76 - You forgot to mention that Chappell was also winning and losing with a handful of thug players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am 
UserName Retired

'76, Chappel did nothing for this program except run it further into the ground after we moved to DI.

Here is his record at UCA

03-04 20-10
04-05 23-8
05-06 18-10
06-07 10-20
07-08 14-16
08-09 10-19
09-10 9-21

For an even 0.500 record at 104-104.

I'll grant you the fact that he had nothing with which to recruit (no hopes of post season play, poor conference, etc.), but his teams were showing no signs of improvement. His teams were undisciplined and he constantly filled his roster with JC players which is no way to build consistency in a program.
When CW took over, he inherited the players already in the program. These players were not recruited to play CW's style of basketball, and it shows. Once CW has a couple of years to fill his roster with his players we can then judge to see what type of coach CW will be. Until then, bringing up the fact that you are mad Chappel was fired isn't doing anyone any good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Obviously we were not able to recruit the type talent we needed for D1 basketball as we did for football......academic standards are tougher at D1 ...affects all sports but basketball may be harder to work around grades and ACT scores....not much margin for error....

I only get to see a game or so a year so it is hard to tell talent from stats ...every time I have seen Pouncy and Qahwash play they have played hard. Pouncy showed some real promise early in his ability to create good shots and distrbute the ball well....his injuries may have really held him back.....Mitch was very solid and those type guys are never easy to replace....

As to Anatoly Bose...the guy averaged 21+ last year and almost 22 this year to lead SLC....he scored only 6 on Pippen Night at the Farris Center but he scorched us for 23 a month later in a 68-51 win at T-doux...

Per Nicholl's media guide in 2009.....Shot a season-best .778 on 7-of-9
shooting against Central Arkansas on Jan. 21 (scored 17 and NSU won by 63-42) ...

.....then he scored 20 at our place in a 60-58 Colonels win...in 6 games vs UCA, Bose has averaged right at 18.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:58 am 
2nd Team

never said Bose wasn't a good player. just disputing your original statement:
"as I recall he was tough to guard last year at FC and could make shots even when doubled...."
six points, 2-8 shooting, 1-6 from the three, 1-3 free throws
not exactly hard to guard that night. apparently we did a pretty good job

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Sorry...must have been the other game I recalled....