It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coach Doesn't Like Cupcakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 am 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Why the UCA volleyball coach doesn't like cupcakes

Quote:
The UCA volleyball team heads to a tournament in Florida this week with a 1-5 record.

“And we staring right in the face of 1-8,” he said, noting the tourney field this weekend includes Samford, LSU and Florida State.

The Sugar Bears are 60-14 the last three years...
-----------------
The scheduling is all on me,” he told Bearbackers on Monday. “I can schedule 12 (nonconference wins). I wanted to schedule tough. I thought this would be best for this team. I thought playing a tough schedule would reduce the learning curve for making our newbies better.”

The Sugar Bears lost seven seniors and five starters from last year’s team that made the NCAA field.

“It’s tough but because we’re used to winning.”

The Sugar Bears’ problems were punctuated when they lost their best player, Scout Brooks, to a season-ending labrum (shoulder) injury in the preseason alumni game.

“She was the heart and soul of our team,” said McFatrich.

That slow start has not hampered recruiting so far.

That’s because recruits who visit the tiny and loud Prince Center discover one of the best settings for college volleyball in the country.
----------------
The women we are recruiting are unfazed by the record,” McFatrich said. “It doesn’t bother them because of the atmosphere in the Prince. I had one recruit, who is being recruited by some major powers, text me Monday that she can’t wait to come here.”

McFatrich’s approach is rather strange by modern standards.

So many coaches — because of ego, job security, fan pressure, confidence-building etc. — prefer to schedule sure victories.

McFatrich prefers to challenge himself, his staff and his players — even when they are young and even when it might dramatically affect the overall record.

“I’m not gonna schedule wins,” he said. “I want to play big names. I want to schedule games against teams that will help us improve the fastest.”

Post subject: Re: Coach Doesn't Like Cupcakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 pm 
Practice Squad

I've kind of always loved his attitude. He's very very into getting the best from everyone on the court.

Post subject: Re: Coach Doesn't Like Cupcakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:08 pm 
UserName Retired

Amen. Recruit the right kind of players and they WANT to play top teams..... eventually you start beating them.... great turnout last Sat at the PC.....