It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scottie Pippen
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearsFan52 wrote:
nice recognition for a fellow arkie......

Awesome! =D>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:14 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Scottie-Pippen-is-getting-a-well-deserved-statue;_ylt=At55dwyYtXMsVqf7.Y_g.4Q5nYcB?urn=nba-265329

Scottie Pippen is getting a well-deserved statue

By Trey Kerby

There is no greater honor in the world of sports than a commemorative statue in or about a team's stadium. Sure, each sport's respective Hall of Fame is commendable and legend-making, but those buildings have hundreds of inductees while only a precious few are worthy of life-size bronze replicas. So while it is very cool that Scottie Pippen was inducted in to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, it is even cooler that he'll be memorialized with his own statue in the United Center...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:17 am 
All-Conference

Very happy for Scottie. Since he is getting a statue in Chicago, can we take down at least part of the shrine to him in the Ferris Center? I think his retired jersey is enough. Those five banners are a little much in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:56 am 
Two-Time All-American

foundingfather wrote:
Very happy for Scottie. Since he is getting a statue in Chicago, can we take down at least part of the shrine to him in the Ferris Center? I think his retired jersey is enough. Those five banners are a little much in my opinion.

I agree. Any time you get the chance to tear down a tribute to a Hall of Famer and display more ugly cinder-block wall you pretty much have to jump at it.

A statue in Chicago doesn't exactly do much good for our students, alumni, fans or recruits. Nobody's seeing that very often, and few are going to see it at all. I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. If it's raining in Seattle, I'm not grabbing my umbrella here.

I think, at a school of this prestige level, to have produced one of the all-time greats you should play that up as much as possible and be proud of that. Just doesn't make any sense to me to think "Well, he's got a statue up in Chicago now, we can pull the plug on what we're doing."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 am 
UserName Retired

Pretty sure he was just using this as an opportunity to throw out that there are an abundance of Pippen banners everywhere you look. My favorite - as it was pointed out to me by an ASU person - is the 5-time All-NBA Defensive team (or something like that) and it's him dribbling or shooting or something that's not defensive.

It's all just a little overwhelming. I don't think it has anything to do with the weather on the west coast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 am 
Two-Time All-American

No of course it doesn't have to do anything with weather on the west coast. You seem to have missed the point of that little exercise. I was doing what they call an analogy to help illustrate my point, in case anybody couldn't grasp why somebody might find events in Chicago irrelevant to events in Conway.

See, here's what he said...

Quote:
Since (cause) he is getting a statue in Chicago, can (effect) we take down at least part of the shrine to him in the Ferris Center?

If he was just looking to throw out that there's an abundance of Pippen banners, why not just say "There is an abundance of Pippen banners."? That could've been done at any point since the things went up. You don't really need the "Since he's getting a statue in Chicago" stuff. It's completely unrelated and sounds nonsensical.

The rest of it ... I'll just say I disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:27 pm 
UserName Retired

I understood the analogy. That isn't an issue.
I also believe I understand that he wasn't being literal in his statement that adding a statue constitutes removing banners.

And it's ok to disagree with not thinking it weird for the defensive-themed banner to have a non-defensive photo. I mean, that sounds nonsensical to me, but...
:thumbup:

I talked with foundingfather last week about all the banners. We just weren't sure how many square feet of Pippen it took to get the point across that he played in the Farris Center. Maybe they have banners like for Karl Malone all over the gym at LaTech. And since I wasn't being recruited to play basketball, I certainly can't speak to whether or not 8 banners would have an impact on where I chose to play ball. But I have my suspicions that it wouldn't have mattered much or at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Keep the Pippen banners....win ball games....put up SLC and NCAA banners and take Pippen banners down over time (not all of course)....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:47 pm 
2nd Team

it's actually five banners. and people, for the love of god, please learn how to spell Farris!!! Bueller didn't go to UCA.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:38 pm 
All-Conference

Beary,

I sure would like to meet you in person at a ball game this fall so I can determine whether or not you are as full of yourself in real life as you are on this board.

I certainly understand that sarcasm, and I guess humor in general, is hard to communicate via a message board, but you really shouldn't take things so literally.

Your rants and diatribes that usually consist of you doing nothing but analytically breaking down other people's posts bring nothing to this board in my opinion. I strongly appreciate and respect your support for the UCA Bears and hope that continues. Just lighten up a bit will ya? If you promise to do that, I'll promise to try to be more succinct and get straight to the point of my opinion when posting. Having said that, let me rephrase my earlier post.

Congratulations to Scottie on his statue in Chicago. It is my opinion that the numerous banners celebrating his NBA career that hang in the Farris Center are a tad bit overwhelming. I think it is time we celebrate and promote our program, rather than one great player.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
I think it is time we celebrate and promote our program, rather than one great player.

Case closed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
All-Conference

Scottie in the news here and here (sort of).

He'll be on the airwaves for the Bulls during the NBA playoffs, and Larsa will appear on the newest season of the Real Housewives of Miami.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:01 pm 
UserName Retired

I didn't read those full stories, but he and his wife are also still trying to sell their $16M house in Miami.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm 
UserName Retired

What 'bout da plane, da plane. Has he still got it? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 am 
UserName Retired

Tonight, during halfitme of the Bulls game, the Bulls are going to unveil the bronze statue of Scottie for the Chicago fans. Stay tuned... :roll: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next