It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scottie Pippen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I just wish the amount of recognition we give Scottie in the Farris Center was somehow related to the amount of support he gave UCA and the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm 
Redshirt

Always gives me a laugh when people presume to know what Pip did or didn't give back to UCA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

wampa bear wrote:
Always gives me a laugh when people presume to know what Pip did or didn't give back to UCA.

Glad to help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Pippen Statue - Chicago Bulls

http://www.nba.com/bulls/history/pippen-bust-adds-new-jewel-united-center.html

Chicago Bulls story on Arch Jones

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/pippen-celebration-wont-be-same-without-arch-jones.html

Attachments:
20110411 Pippen Statue at Bulls 60739422-07212313-187105[1].jpg
20110411 Pippen Statue at Bulls 60739422-07212313-187105[1].jpg [ 7.61 KiB | Viewed 9687 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Another nice story:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/670873-remembering-scottie-pippen-a-tribute-to-all-around-greatness

"We should remember Pippen for being one of the most versatile players ever. He should be remembered as perhaps the greatest defensive forward of all time, capable of guarding anyone—from point guards to centers.

Remember Scottie for his power and his grace on the basketball floor. Just please, when you think of Pippen, don't think of a sidekick.

Scottie Pippen's jersey is hanging alongside Michael Jordan's in the United Center, not in its shadow."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Looks like Pipp is cracking heads at eateries....

Quote:
Pippen came in voluntarily to a substation after he was named as a suspect in an investigation of an assault with intent to commit great bodily injury, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/24/malibu-fight-involving-scottie-pippen-being-investigated/#ixzz2XBN4mDpZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 pm 
UserName Retired

[url]http://www.forbes.com/sites#/sites/danschawbel/2016/02/03/scottie-pippen-how-he-set-a-standard-for-his-team-with-michael-jordan/#153cd4081332[/url]

Feb 3, 2016 @ 02:29 PM 1,146 views
Scottie Pippen: How He Set A Standard For His Team With Michael Jordan
By Dan Shawbel

I spoke to Scottie Pippen, a 17-year NBA veteran most noted for winning six NBA World Championship titles and playing side-by-side with the great Michael Jordan. Pippen, now retired from basketball, is speaking at the Market America 2016 World Conference starting tomorrow, hoping to empower over twenty thousand entrepreneurs in attendance. In our conversation, Pippen talks about the leadership lessons he learned from Michael Jordan, how he was able to stay motivated even after winning so many championships, how he’s aligned with brands like Market America, and his best advice to aspiring athletes.

Pippen played in 1,178 games and averaged 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists and 1.96 steals during an illustrious career that placed him among the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players of all-time in 1996. Pippen’s 208 career playoff appearances ranked second in NBA history behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s 237. He is also one of only two players, with the other being Michael Jordan, to have won an NBA title and Olympic gold medal in the same year. And Pippen did it twice (1992, 1996). Pippen was originally drafted by the Seattle SuperSonics in the first round of the 1987 NBA Draft.

Pippen won two Olympic gold medals, the first as a member of the 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team TISI +%” and the other when he returned to help lead the USA to gold at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on August 13, 2010. Pippen is one of four players to have his jersey retired by the Bulls.

Pippen re-joined the Bulls organization as an ambassador on July 15, 2010. He was then named Senior Advisor to the President and COO of the team on October 31, 2012, a position he currently holds.

Pippen was born in Hamburg, Arkansas. He walked on at the University of Central Arkansas, where he eventually graduated. Scottie resides in Florida with his wife, Larsa, and four children, Scotty, Preston, Justin and Sophia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 pm 
UserName Retired

https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-news-legend-scottie-pippens-son-scotty-pippen-jr-pledges-to-vanderbilt-university/

Bulls legend Scottie Pippen’s son, Scottie Pippen Jr., pledges to Vanderbilt University

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Scotty's son (SP, Jr) is playing well at Vandy…..scored 19 tonight vs Mizzou.....averaging 11+ ppg with avg 27 minutes played.....I have seen him a few times on TV......has improved notably as a freshman this year....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:47 pm 
UserName Retired

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/steph-curry-klay-thompson-changed-game-michael-jordan-scottie-pippen

Nice article.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:32 am 
UserName Retired

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2020/apr/19/razorbacks-had-ties-bulls-glory-years/

Razorbacks had ties to Bulls' glory years
By: Bob Holt
Published: Sunday, April 19, 20

FAYETTEVILLE — Darrell Walker experienced a lot in his 10 seasons as an NBA player, but nothing like what came with being a member of Michael Jordan’s Chicago Bulls.
“Being with the Bulls was like being with the Rolling Stones,” said Walker, who joined Chicago midway through the 1992-93 season. “Every night wherever we played — home or on the road — was a rock concert.
“If our bus pulled up to a hotel at 2:45 in the morning, you had tons and tons of people waiting and screaming, wanting to get a piece of Michael. They wanted an autograph or a picture or just to touch him or see him.
“Even for a guy like me who had played so long in the NBA, it was pretty eye-opening.”
Led by Jordan — a five-time MVP and 14-time All-Star with a career scoring average of 30.1 points — the Bulls won six NBA championships in an eight-year span between 1991 and 1998.
A 10-part documentary series titled The Last Dance focusing on the Bulls’ 1997-98 season, but also providing an in-depth look behind the scenes at Jordan’s career, will begin airing on ESPN at 8 tonight.
“Everybody’s going to want to watch it,” said Walker, the coach at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. “It’s going to be epic.”
Walker, an All-American guard for the University of Arkansas, is among several of Jordan’s former Chicago teammates with ties to the state.
Joe Kleine, an All-Southwest Conference center for the Razorbacks and co-owner of Corky’s Ribs and BBQ restaurant in Little Rock, played for the Bulls during the 1997-98 season.
Arkansas assistant coach Corey Williams was a rookie guard with the Bulls during the 1992-93 season after playing at Oklahoma State.
“When I was in college I used to dedicate a move in practice every day to Michael Jordan,” Williams said. “I couldn’t fly through the air like Michael, but I’d do a double-pump, spinning move off the glass or take a fadeaway jumper.”
The Bulls made Williams a second-round pick — No. 33 overall — in the 1992 draft.
“I didn’t immediately think about being on the same team as Michael Jordan,” Williams said. “My first thought was, ‘Man, I got drafted.’
“Then once you relax a little bit you realize, ‘I’m on the Bulls. I’m with Mike.’ It was a great day. I had tears in my eyes knowing I would get to play with the great Michael Jordan. I could not believe it. He was my basketball idol.”
The first time Williams walked into the Bulls’ practice facility, he saw Jordan lifting weights.
“He stopped and came over and introduced himself,” Williams said. “He said, ‘Hi, my name is Michael Jordan.’
“I was about to jump out of my skin, but I was trying to remain calm. I said, ‘Yes sir, my name is Corey Williams. It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Jordan.’ He started laughing and said, ‘Just call me Mike.’ ”
Kleine first faced Jordan in a game on Feb. 12, 1984, when Arkansas beat No. 1 North Carolina 65-64 in the Pine Bluff Convention Center. Kleine scored 20 points and Jordan 21.
Kleine and Jordan then were teammates on the 1984 United States Olympic team, which won the gold medal.
“In the Olympics we all knew Michael was going to be a really good pro,” Kleine said. “But what he became? Nobody saw that coming.”
By the time Kleine, who played 15 seasons in the NBA, joined the Bulls for the 1997-98 season, Jordan had led Chicago to five championships.
“I remember before the season started I was walking into practice and a really nice car pulled up right next to me,” Kleine said. “I was kind of like, ‘Who is this?’
“Then the window rolled down and it was Michael. He goes, ‘Well, I guess I’ve got to win your ass a ring, too.’ I looked at him and I said, ‘You’re damn right you do.’
“I was on two teams with Michael, and I got my Olympic gold medal and an NBA championship ring. They’re from the MJ collection. I owe him. He got me some good jewelry.”
Forward Scottie Pippen, a Hamburg native who played at the University of Central Arkansas and was the No. 5 overall pick in the 1987 NBA Draft, became a star with the Bulls playing alongside Jordan.
“Everybody talks about position-less basketball, and it’s new to the game and the [Golden State] Warriors created it,” said Arkansas Coach Eric Musselman, who as an NBA assistant coach faced the Bulls with Jordan and Pippen. “But position-less basketball was created in Chicago.
“Pippen, still to this day, is the No. 1 guy when you think of position-less basketball because he literally played the 1 to the 5. He could bring the ball up the floor, he could guard a center. The ultimate Robin to Batman with MJ.”
Pippen, who like Jordan is a Naismith Hall of Fame inductee, averaged 16.1 points over 17 seasons and 10 times was voted to the NBA All-Defensive Team.
“Scottie was a really, really good basketball player, and I think Michael pushed him to go to another level,” Walker said. “People are quick to say, ‘Oh, Scottie was just on Michael’s coattails.’
“But MJ will tell you he doesn’t win all these championships without Scottie Pippen. Scottie was a phenomenal two-way player that in my opinion doesn’t get enough credit.”
Kleine said he loved playing with Pippen.
“Scottie was such a good defender and so solid in everything he did,” Kleine said. “A great player like that can cover up everyone else’s mistakes.
“You get beat on defense, Scottie could clean it up for you. Or he’d rebound a bad shot somebody took and score on a put-back, catch an errant pass that should have been a turnover and make a play.”
Williams said that during his season in Chicago he and Pippen became friends.
“I hung out with Scottie every single day,” Williams said. “He took me up under his wing, he really did.
“He always was generous with me with his time and with his finances. I never had to pay for a meal. He really took care of me.”

Williams said Jordan also watched out for him.
“Michael always treated me well,” Williams said. “I wore Air Jordans, so when he ordered his stuff, he’d order stuff for me, too, and give it to me.”
Williams said it meant the world to him when Jordan was being interviewed by Bob Costas after the Bulls won the 1993 championship and Williams was the first person Jordan mentioned.
“Michael didn’t look at me as the last guy on the bench but as a teammate,” Williams said. “I really admired him for that.”
Williams’ primary role was as a scout-team player in practice to help the starters get prepared for games. Once when Williams guarded Jordan, he stole the ball from His Airness and dunked.
Williams said some of the other Bulls warned him that he’d make a mistake.
“I’ll never forget Stacey King and Scott Williams telling me, ‘You’re in trouble now. He’s going to get you back,’ ” Williams said. “But he didn’t get a chance.
“I didn’t guard Michael again that day, and by the next day, he’d forgotten about it. He had bigger fish to fry than me.”
The Bulls won 99-98 at Phoenix to take the 1993 NBA championship 4 games to 2.
“I sat next to MJ on the plane coming back to Chicago from Phoenix, and we were smoking cigars and having a good time,” Walker said. “Then he said to me, ‘You know D. Walker, I think they’ve just seen the last of me.’
“I said, ‘MJ, you’re just tired. It’s been a long season. You’re worn down. Go spend some time with your family, play some golf, drink some red wine and you’ll be fine. You just need to recharge your battery.’ ”
Walker said he asked Jordan what he’d do if Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf offered him $30 million?
“Michael looked right at me with a stone-cold face and said, ‘I don’t need 30 million dollars,’ ” Walker said. “But at the time, I didn’t think he was serious about leaving the Bulls.”
Walker said he was stunned when Jordan announced in October of 1993 — during an NBA lockout — that he was retiring from basketball to play minor-league baseball for the Birmingham Barons, the Class AA team of the Chicago White Sox, who also were owned by Reinsdorf.
After batting .202 in 127 games as a right fielder for the Barons during the 1994 season, Jordan resumed his basketball career with the Bulls in March of 1995.
“I spent three or fours days with Michael in Birmingham when he was playing baseball,” Walker said. “It was an interesting time.
“I think if he had played baseball from the beginning, he’d have been a major-league player. That’s how good of an athlete he was.”
Phil Jackson was the Bulls’ coach for all six of their championships, then he won five more with the Los Angeles Lakers.
“I liked playing for Phil, because he was really steady,” Kleine said. “There was no emotional roller coaster with him. It was, ‘This is what we do.’ His tone was always the same.
“There was no jubilation after a win or a series of wins and no despair after a couple losses. It was just very consistent game to game.”
Jackson’s teams featured some of the NBA’s biggest stars — Jordan and Pippen in Chicago and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal in Los Angeles.
“Phil had great players, but he was able to reach them,” Kleine said. “He was able to get them to play within the framework of the team, get everybody to adjust and accept their roles.
“I think he was really good at taking what he thought he was going to need from that team at the end of the year and building on that philosophy throughout the year. He always had the end championship in sight. He did a lot of things, had a lot of messages that worked towards that goal.”
Jackson had some fun with Williams during the team’s first film session of the 1992-93 season.
“I came into the film room and there were regular chairs, and then there was a kid’s chair,” Williams said. “I remember laughing and saying, ‘Look at that little, bitty chair.’ Phil said, ‘Peewee, that’s your seat.’
“So I sat in that little, bitty chair that whole film session and those guys were laughing up a storm. That lasted for a couple weeks. Then I got a regular chair. I was a part of the team.”
Williams said Jackson benefitted from Jordan’s attitude.
“Michael allowed Phil to coach him,” Williams said. “So if he’s coaching Michael, that allowed him to manage everybody else. Michael set the tone, so that made it easier for Phil to do his job and make sure everybody understood their roles.”
When Walker was released by the Detroit Pistons and joined the Bulls, he made an immediate impression on Williams.
“The first day I met Darrell, we were playing after practice for conditioning, and I was thinking it was a regular pickup game,” Williams said. “Then I drove to the basket and Darrell hit me so hard I went out of bounds.
“I thought, ‘Who the heck is this guy?’ We’re just trying to stay in shape, but he’s serious.
“Darrell was old school. He was like, ‘Nah, rook. No layups.’ ”
Walker and Jordan became so close that when Jordan was the Washington Wizards’ president of basketball operations, he hired Walker as the team’s interim head coach in 2000, then retained him as director of player personnel.
“When I got picked up by the Bulls, Michael and I just gravitated towards each other and became good friends,” Walker said. “MJ was a great teammate and he was loyal to you if you were loyal to him. That’s why I’ve always had a good relationship with him.”
Walker recalled that after he and Jordan retired as players, he visited Jordan at his office in downtown Chicago.
It was a warm, sunny day in September, Walker recalled, and the Chicago native was in town to visit some family members.
“I told Michael I was getting ready to take a walk and shop on the Magnificent Mile,” Walker said. “He said, ‘Hold up, I’ll go with you.’
“He took a couple of steps and said, ‘No, that’s not a good idea D. Walker.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ He said, ‘Because we won’t be walking alone if I go with you. It’ll turn into a circus.’ That’s when I knew this guy was a prisoner of his own fame and stardom.”
Kleine was among 106 people interviewed for The Last Dance along with Pippen, Sidney Moncrief and President Bill Clinton.
Moncrief, a Little Rock native and All-American guard for Arkansas, played against Jordan in the NBA and was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame last year.
“When you play against Moncrief, you’re in for a night of all-around basketball,” Jordan told the Los Angeles Times. “He’ll hound you everywhere you go, both ends of the court. You just expect it.”
Clinton, also a former Arkansas governor, was interviewed to talk about Pippen because both are from Arkansas.
“I can’t believe they didn’t want Clinton to talk about me,” Kleine said with a laugh. “Honestly, I was surprised they even interviewed me.
“I’m excited to watch it because that was my era in the NBA. But I’m not anticipating a lot of camera time for myself.
“They were really detailed when they talked to me. I think it’s going to be a good series.”
The title for the ESPN documentary comes from the last dance theme Jackson had for his team going into the 1997-98 season.
Jordan, Pippen and Jackson all had contracts that were expiring after the season, and they had been feuding with Jerry Krause, the Bulls’ general manager.
Jackson made it clear he wasn’t returning and Jordan said he wouldn’t play for another coach.
Jordan retired after the season, though he later played two more seasons with the Wizards. Pippen was traded to Houston during a lockout.
Jackson sat out for one season, then returned to coaching with the Lakers.
“Everybody knew going into the season that Michael, Scottie and Phil weren’t coming back,” Kleine said. “That was well known from Day One.
“Breaking up the Bulls, that was a head scratcher to me. It still is. I just think they were all burned out from the bickering between management and Michael, Scottie and Phil.
“It was sad it had to end the way it did.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:57 am 
UserName Retired

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/apr/22/tv-series-puts-uca-back-in-spotlight-20/

TV series puts UCA back in spotlight
by Trenton Daeschner | April 22, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.

Steve East was one of the few who knew about Scottie Pippen before the name carried any sort of meaning -- much less a championship legacy.

East was still a student at the University of Central Arkansas when Pippen, a Hamburg native, showed up on campus in 1983.

Over the next four years -- first as a student, then later as a reporter for the Arkansas Democrat -- East witnessed firsthand Pippen's near-mythical and famous basketball transformation, growing from an undersized and unknown walk-on manager for the Bears into a freakish athlete, a two-time NAIA All-American and eventually the fifth overall pick in the 1987 NBA draft.

"My claim to fame is I played some pickup games with him before we figured out he was good," said East, who's worked as UCA's sports information director since 1994. "And then I didn't want to have anything to do with him because he was really good."

On Sunday evening in front of millions of viewers -- and more than three decades after Pippen's UCA days ended -- East got the momentous chance to shed light on the Pippen he saw in Conway during the premiere of ESPN's much-anticipated documentary series The Last Dance, which pulls back the curtain on the legendary 1997-98 Chicago Bulls and their frontman Michael Jordan.

Pippen became a basketball legend in the 1990s with the Bulls, tag-teaming with Jordan to turn the franchise into a dynasty with six championships in eight seasons, the final one coming during the season that is the focal point of the series. A considerable chunk of the second episode focused on Pippen, including everything from his difficult upbringing in Hamburg to his controversial contract situation leading up to the 1997-98 season.

East was one of more than 100 people interviewed for the series -- but he had no idea what he was in store for on Sunday night.

East recalled producers contacting the school late in 2018 looking to interview people who could expound on Pippen's UCA career, but two key sources were unavailable.

Don Dyer, who was UCA's head coach when Pippen was there, is in poor health and was unable to do an interview, and Dyer's former assistant coach, Arch Jones -- who was close with Pippen -- died in March 2011.

UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said he suggested the producers talk to East, as well as Ronnie Martin, Pippen's former Hamburg and UCA teammate and close friend who also appeared in the show Sunday.

One early morning in January 2019, Jake Rogal, a producer for The Last Dance, showed up at UCA along with a lighting guy and sound guy to interview East. It was 6:15 a.m., and East and the UCA men's basketball team were supposed to leave for the airport at 8 a.m. to catch a flight for a game.

The interview lasted 30-40 minutes, East said, but he never figured a second of it would make it to the screen.

"I [thought] I'd be on the cutting floor," East said. "I just figured they were wanting background and this and that, which I gave them good background stuff, [but] I had no idea that I'd actually be on the show itself. I was shocked."

But millions saw East's face as he sported a black and dark grey Nike pull-over with UCA's purple bear logo, helping recount the days of when an all-time NBA legend once graced the Farris Center floor in the mid-1980s.

"He came in as a 6-1, 155-pound guard," East said early in Episode 2 of The Last Dance. "I got to watch him play, and I thought, 'Wow, this guy's got a little something if he can fill out.'"

Former president and ex-Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton also was shown speaking about the NBA Hall of Famer's UCA days.

Old, grainy highlights from inside the Farris Center rolled as a younger Pippen threw down dunk after dunk. East was thoroughly surprised at how much footage existed of Pippen playing at UCA. He said he didn't know how producers found it, especially considering UCA couldn't provide any when asked. The school doesn't have very many photos of Pippen on file, either, East said.

But East still carries countless memories with him from watching Pippen back then.

East's phone quickly lit up with messages Sunday night following his cameo in the documentary.

"Oh gosh," East said. "I got [Facebook messages] from people I hadn't talked to since high school probably."

Said UCA men's basketball Coach Anthony Boone: "I'll have to get his autograph next time I see him."

An average of 6.1 million viewers tuned in, ESPN announced Monday, making it the network's most-watched documentary ever, with still eight more episodes to be aired over the next four Sundays.

In an instant, it can be argued East became one of the school's most famous alums, while his alma mater was thrust onto the national stage in a way it had never been before.

Normally UCA is used to being second, and often third or even fourth, fiddle to the Division I sports scene within Arkansas. The University of Arkansas typically consumes the state's oxygen.

But for just a few brief minutes Sunday night in front of millions, it was UCA that had everyone's attention -- not just in the state, but across the country.

And it came with a small assist from East.

"The fact that they kept saying 'Central Arkansas' and 'the University of Central Arkansas' and they showed our gym and it said 'Bear Country' -- it was a proud moment for us," Teague said. "It's huge. You can't put a price on it at all."