It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Markell Carter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Redshirt

So, Larry Hart has had some playing time with the Jaguars and Markell Carter might be in that same fifth round draft range. Carter might be looked at as a possible 4-3 DE if he can bulk up 10-15 pounds and enter the NFL at 6'4"/265. I think playing as a 3-4 OLB is more likely right now but he at least has some options.

What We Know: 11.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks in 2009 -- 19 TFL, 5.5 sacks in 2010. Lanky, long arms, good athlete, deflects some passes, leader, durable, good drops in coverage.

Now, I didn't see a single UCA game this year so I'm hoping you can help me out here. What can you pass along about Carter? Pass rushing -- moves, penetration, leverage, disengagement, explosiveness, strength at POA, speed, etc. Run defense -- play behind the line, anchor, technique, containment, lateral movement, change of direction, tackling, etc.

I tried to find any available video footage of UCA online and came up empty.

Thanks for the responses.

Post subject: Re: Markell Carter's Draft Potential
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:16 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, I'm sure you'll get many responses on Carter because he's cut from the same cloth as Jacob Ford and Larry Hart. Coach chooses a particular style of Defensive End to play at UCA and Carter fits that mold. Let's look at his speed first. Carter is explosive toward the ball and if the RB or QB runs to the edge, he's there to lay down the punishment. He has a high ability to hold onto a ball carrier. I can't remember very many leaving his grasp..if any at all. He's a team leader also. Point of Attack is huge in his game. Killer speed. Very agressive but plays extremely smart. His field intelligence has allowed him to remain healthy. I've watched him survey the field looking at schemes before the ball is snapped and blow up a runner who thought his path was easy. Carter is an EASY 4th or 5th round pick DE and will work out just as Jacob and Larry have done. When you see a football player on the field that stands out from all the rest game after game, you KNOW he's professional bound...he deserves to be there. Just an EASY draft choice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 pm 
2nd Team

I'm not sure I'd put him in the same league with Ford or even Hart. he needs to gain some weight to play end in the NFL. look at those guys, they are a lot bigger than he is. speed only gets you so far when you are taking on 275 lb tight ends and 300 lb tackles
also not sure he can gain weight. he hasn't gained much since coming to UCA under Briscoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:22 pm 
UserName Retired

Agree with bearwithme. I think he certainly has the ability, but he needs to get stronger. And he's been here for four full years - unlike Ford and Hart who only had two years with Briscoe. Ford and Hart (who hasn't really "worked out" yet for the Jags; he's been deactivated several weeks) certainly appeared to be stronger in both their upper and lowerbody.

Markell looked like he always had the frame to get bigger but never did - or at least as much as I would expect. He moves well and was always around the quarterback, often one step away from getting to him. If you could find film from the McNeese game he certainly seemed to be asserting himself even more in his farewell game.

I could see someone taking a chance on developing him - similar to Larry Hart. I think physically he's obviously more of the NFL prototype guy over a 6-0 Larry Hart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Team Captain

Has Carter been invited to any of the college all-star games? I would think he would be looking to showcase his talents for the scouts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Former Bruin eyes NFL draft: Markell Carter rated High in defensive end rankings
Quote:
His best marks have been a time of 4.66 in the 40-yard dash, a broad jump of 10-feet-2-inches, and 17 reps benching 225 pounds.

That last number is bit misleading, Carter said, because he actually had 21 reps, but four were not counted.

Carter also was measured in the vertical jump at 35-feet-and-a-half-inches.

He also worked out for two pro teams, who may be interested in either drafting him, or in a free agent look, depending on what happens later this month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Very nice story on Markell....my friends in Bartlesville reinforce everything I have seen from his play for UCA.... certainly deserves a chance... his stats last fall may not have been what some people predicted but he drew doubles and sometimes triple teams and most teams went the opposite way....some team could pick up a good talent in a low round draft and be pleasantly surprised......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 pm 
UserName Retired

Story on Markell....all that info certainly looks familiar....read above. Maybe we need to be in sports writing...LOL

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=5676

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.kffl.com/player/24717/nfl/news

Falcons | Markell Carter to visit

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:13:54 -0700

Central Arkansas LB Markell Carter is scheduled to visit the Atlanta Falcons Tuesday, April 19, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Comment (0) | Share: | Source: NationalFootballPost.com - Aaron Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buccaneers | Markell Carter visiting

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:59:55 -0700

Central Arkansas LB Markell Carter is visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Monday, April 18, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rams | Interested in Markell Carter

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:42:33 -0700

The St. Louis Rams have been displaying interest in Central Arkansas LB Markell Carter, according to Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Jaguars | Markell Carter works out

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:40:49 -0700

Central Arkansas LB Markell Carter conducted a private workout for the Jacksonville Jaguars Thursday, April 14, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/24717/nfl/news#ixzz1JzxtvqE9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Anything further on Markell???

NFL draft underway ...... Cam Newton goes #1 to Carolina (can hand off to D'Aneglo Williams from Wynne, AR) ......SEC has 5 of Top 10...Big 12 has 3 with 2 from Mizzou.....

Hoping to see Lee Ziemba (Rogers/ Auburn) get taken pretty high.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm 
UserName Retired

Carter goes in the 6th round to the Patriots!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Pick #194. Congrats to Markell. Same round as Tom Brady was drafted in and we all know what a bust he has been. :wink:

And here's Image to Tom Murphy of the ADG for not even giving Markell some pub for being a possible draft choice from the state of Ark.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Pick #194. Congrats to Markell. Same round as Tom Brady was drafted in and we all know what a bust he has been. :wink:

And here's Image to Tom Murphy of the ADG for not even giving Markell some pub for being a possible draft choice from the state of Ark.

You talking about this, from Friday's paper?

The complete lack of attention/respect for UCA from that Razorback propaganda machine newspaper continues to boggle the mind.

Attachments:
WhereTheHellIsMarkell.jpg
WhereTheHellIsMarkell.jpg [ 204.21 KiB | Viewed 10849 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:08 pm 
Redshirt

Congrats to Markell!n =D>

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am 
Practice Squad

The lack of exposure the ADG gives Bears' sports is shameful. It is like if your initials don't start with UA, then we will bury your story (if they print it at all) as deep in the small print columns as they can.

Hey, the UAF sports play at the highest level of competition, no one questions that. The SEC is the best overall conference in America. But, UCA is central Arkansas premier sports program and its sports are great to watch. It is still what College sports are suppose to be about. The ADG could use its "ink" to introduce thousands of central Arkansans to great entertainment, if they would take their blinders off.