It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jordan Malone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:18 pm 
UserName Retired

Anyone recall Coach Malone at UCA?

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/new-msu-football-coach-has-familiar-face/article_4e025c30-1fea-11e5-b5d3-175fbb72ff2d.html

Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:11 am

By Chad Courrier ccourrier@mankatofreepress.com

When Jordan Malone wrapped up his football career at Minnesota State in 2004, the program wasn’t in very good shape.

The Mavericks had endured an 0-11 season in 2003, and even though Jeff Jamrog led the team to a winning record in 2004, he was the Mavericks’ third head coach in four seasons.

The biggest thing has been the consistency,” Malone said. “Coach (Todd) Hoffner has been there awhile, coach (Brian Bell) was there for a long time, and coach (Joe Klanderman) was there for many years. That has been a change for the better. The other thing is back in the (North Central Conference), we weren’t fully funded. Now, (Minnesota State) is fully funded and able to compete with every team in the (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference)

Malone will join the Mavericks’ coaching staff today, working with defensive backs and coordinating recruiting, replacing Bell, who left earlier this offseason to coach at Division I New Mexico State. Malone is the second defensive coach to come to MSU from Augustana; defensive coordinator Jake Dickert joined the Mavericks staff last summer.

“I had a very good job at Augustana,” Malone said. “But when you get a chance to go to a place that meant so much to you, it’s tough. (Minnesota State) is a top-5 program, and I still have purple in my blood. I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.”

Malone was a four-year letterwinner at Minnesota State, earning All-North Central Conference and All-American honors as a senior after making 29 solo tackles and 22 assists, with four tackles for loss, in 11 games. He had 13 pass breakups and one fumble recovery.

In 45 games in his career, he made 216 tackles, seven interceptions and three fumble recoveries. He ranks eighth at Minnesota State with 141 solo tackles.

“Jordan was an All-American, which gives him instant credibility with the defensive backs,” Hoffner said. “Coach Bell is going to be tough to replace, but Jordan is a proud alum who understands (Minnesota State). His knowledge of the league is invaluable.”

Last season, Malone coached the defensive backs at Augustana, and the year before, he coached defensive backs at another Augustana, the Division III school in Illinois. He has also coached at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C., Central Arkansas, Waldorf College and Emporia State.

«‹12›»