It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terai Sadler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:42 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/sport/82726750/Terai-Sadler-set-for-3x3-basketball-world-championship-charge-with-Cook-Islands

Nice story on Terai who turned out to be a solid basketball player for SugarBears.

Terai Sadler set for 3x3 basketball world championship charge with Cook IslandsCHRISTOPHER REIVE

Last updated 13:20, August 2 2016

Terai Sadler is set to represent the Cook Islands at the 3x3 basketball world championships.

Terai Sadler didn't intentionally link up with the Cook Islands 3x3 basketball team, but now she's going to the world championships with the side.

"That's a funny story," the former New Plymouth Girls' High School student said.

"I was filling out the paperwork for the Tall Ferns trials and I put Cook Islands in the other nationality box. They were sent off and the lady going through them was actually looking for a player for the Cook Islands three on three team.

"She knew who I was but didn't know I could play for them. So she got in touch and asked if I wanted to play and it went from there."

READ MORE: Jordan Ngatai signing completes first all-Kiwi local roster for NZ Breakers

After clinching a qualifying spot at the Oceania Championships, the Cook Islands team will be one of 40 from 30 countries competing in China at the World Championships in October.

The 23-year-old, who was part of the Women's Basketball Championship winning Canterbury Wildcats this year, qualified for the team as her mother was from the Cook Islands.

She said the team wouldn't get to train together until a week out from the tournament as players were spread across the globe.

"It's okay though because three on three is a lot more about individual skills.

"It's a lot more offence than defence so we can work on what we need to individually."

Sadler spent the past four years playing at the collegiate level in America for Crowder College and the University of Central Arkansas, won a title with Canterbury and represented the New Zealand Select team in the five on five game.

However, she said she found the three on three format to be a lot like street ball and more fun to play.

While she could play for both New Zealand and the Cook Islands, Sadler said for the three on three format, she could imagine leaving the Cook Island side now.

"I guess it's a bit weird to represent two countries in the same sport, but I think it's cool that I can represent both sides of my culture."

While she's hard at work preparing for the World Championships, Sadler said she wasn't sure where her future in the sport lied, despite developing a nice resume in the full game.

"Somedays I want to go all out and somedays I don't so I'm not sure.

"But I'll keep going with three on three because it's a lot of fun and I know I'm going to enjoy it."