It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General UCA B-ball question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:35 pm 
UserName Retired

How do you guys feel about promotional nights at Bball games? I was just thinking about them and I feel like we need to have more of them. I know there was the Centinial celebration night this year, but why can't/don't we have them on a regular basis? Things like "Purple or White Out Nights", more discounted food nights, Community Appreciation Night (discounted admissions to non-students)...just random things like that to hopefully boost attendance. Also, what about offering incentives for students to come, like cash awards for the loudest groups, or the most spirited fans, or maybe gift cards or other prizes. Just random thoughts of mine, so what do ya'll think? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:42 pm 
UserName Retired

How about giving nonstudents more reason to come to the games. Yes, the product is typically good to really good and yes college is for college kids, but there has to be something that ties the general public with the university that makes them motivated to spend the cash to show up. Halftime shows are good and halftime games are great too. Halfcourt shots for cash, actual concession stands that can serve more than 1 or 2 customers every 15 minutes would be better. How about a little TV face time for the fans. Record the game, record the fans and play the game later on tv for all the fans to see themselves..sounds dumb I know but hearing the announcer say "smile for the camera and you are going to be on tv on channel XX, watch for it" drives fans crazy! Theme nights, although high schoolish, work just as well. Who knows what will work, the product is typically there, it's just a matter of filling the seats I guess....I know one more thing....bring on DUKE to the Farris Center :shock: .......uh....nevermind............. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 pm 
UserName Retired

BEARS2006 wrote:
How about giving nonstudents more reason to come to the games. Yes, the product is typically good to really good and yes college is for college kids, but there has to be something that ties the general public with the university that makes them motivated to spend the cash to show up. Halftime shows are good and halftime games are great too. Halfcourt shots for cash, actual concession stands that can serve more than 1 or 2 customers every 15 minutes would be better. How about a little TV face time for the fans. Record the game, record the fans and play the game later on tv for all the fans to see themselves..sounds dumb I know but hearing the announcer say "smile for the camera and you are going to be on tv on channel XX, watch for it" drives fans crazy! Theme nights, although high schoolish, work just as well. Who knows what will work, the product is typically there, it's just a matter of filling the seats I guess....I know one more thing....bring on DUKE to the Farris Center :shock: .......uh....nevermind............. :lol:

Thanks for the input, Bears2006....I agree with all of your ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 pm 
UserName Retired

Be careful :shock: ......agreeing with all of my ideas.... :shock: ......dangerous....... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 pm 
All-Conference

All you folks need is a 25 CENT JUMBO HOT DOG NIGHT!

Works well! :)

From SHSU's PR department...

"Fans at Thursday night's men's basketball game consumed a reported 2,113 25-cent jumbo hot dogs. The promotion is scheduled again for Saturday afternoon's 4 p.m. women's game. Ed Chatal, Johnson Coliseum manager, said that the total number of jumbo hot dogs sold in the past 12 years is more than 46,000. Thursday night's total fell short of the 2,643 served during a Feb. 2004 doubleheader."

My personal record in a given night is 12...and this while working the game! :)

Please note, this was when the SLC did doubleheaders. Four before the womens. Four at halftime of the womens and four throughout the mens' game...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I am for anything that will boost attendance and get the students/community behind all of our athletic programs! We don't have to reinvent the wheel to come up with a lot of these promotions! All you have to do is search the internet and look at a few minor league baseball sites to pick and choose which promotions will work for our schools. I would like the AD to be able to hire a promotions director to get this ball rolling. The good thing about hiring someone for promotions is that he/she will pay for themselves. Most of these promotions would have some type of corporate sponsorship. Attendance and community support will increase as well as the corporate $ generated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:
I am for anything that will boost attendance and get the students/community behind all of our athletic programs! We don't have to reinvent the wheel to come up with a lot of these promotions! All you have to do is search the internet and look at a few minor league baseball sites to pick and choose which promotions will work for our schools. I would like the AD to be able to hire a promotions director to get this ball rolling. The good thing about hiring someone for promotions is that he/she will pay for themselves. Most of these promotions would have some type of corporate sponsorship. Attendance and community support will increase as well as the corporate $ generated.
=D> =D> =D> I nominate you for the job, although we already have a Director of Marketing and Sponsorships...http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=staff&sportid=16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:
=D> =D> =D> I nominate you for the job, although we already have a Director of Marketing and Sponsorships...http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=staff&sportid=16

I am flattered by your nomination but it looks like someone already has this position. I am sure Lisa Cooley is figuring out ways to help market all of our programs. I just hope she has the support and backing from the administration to implement game day promotions.

Here are a few minor league promotions with some adjustments that I think would work in several of our sports!

Tattoo you

Before they became known for their pitchers throwing at ospreys, the Daytona Cubs earned national notoriety for their outrageous offer to fans.

The team granted a lifetime general admission pass to anyone 18 or older who shelled out $100 to get the team's logo tattooed on their bodies from Willie's Tropical Tattoo in Ormond Beach, Fla. (Tattoo parlors are illegal in Daytona Beach). Twelve fans took GM Buck Rogers up on his offer last year - "If we're permanent on your body, your body is permanent in our ballpark," he says. Four more fans signed up this year.

Collector's item

Mike Veeck, son of master promoter Bill, is sure to hear from Randy Moss' attorneys about his latest St. Paul Saints stunt: Randy Moss Hood Ornament

Night. Moss, you may remember, was charged with bumping a Minneapolis traffic control agent last fall with his Lexus when she tried to stop him from making an illegal turn. The first 2,500 fans who attend the Saints' Aug. 16 game will get this Moss memento.

The beer batter

Before every home game, the San Jose Giants anoint one hitter from the visiting team "the beer batter." If he strikes out between the first and sixth innings, fans can buy beer at half price for the next 15 minutes.

"They play 'Roll out the Barrel' and the fans really get into it, getting louder and louder with each strike," said Mike Curto, broadcaster for the Tacoma Raniers.

To die for

On Aug. 16, the Hagerstown Suns and a local funeral parlor will team up for Gerald N. Minnich Funeral Home Preplanned Funeral Giveaway Night. Between now and then, fans are invited to write an essay on how they'd want their "dream" funeral to go. Six finalists will be chosen and essays will be read over the P.A. system between innings. The lucky winner gets a casket, flowers, death certificate, the works.

Fear Factor Night

Kids, don't try this at home: Virginia's Potomac Cannons picked eight volunteers from the crowd, who went at it in a three-round grossfest. The events: eating octopus and squid, drinking a dog food milkshake and bobbing for raw hot dogs in a tub of cold oatmeal. Yum.

Win a car

Once a year, the Chattanooga Lookouts hold Used Car Night, where they give away a free automobile every inning. "Some of them are in great shape, some of them don't make it all the way around the warning track," said Sally Violin, the Lookouts' director of marketing. "But people love it and it brings in a huge crowd."

She's having a baby

Delaware's Wilmington Blue Rocks gave new meaning to "Labor Day," when they invited all expectant moms from the area to their final home game last Sept. 2. The mom-to-be to give birth closest to the first pitch received a year's supply of diapers, baby wipes and formula. An ObGyn doctor was on hand just in case. The winning baby was born shortly after 1 a.m. two days later.

Bald is Beautiful Night

In 2001, the Lowell (Mass.) Spinners invited hairless men from the area to the ballpark to celebrate baldness. They sat in the same section, wore "Bald is Beautiful" T-shirts, participated in a pregame "Bald Parade" and posed for a bald team picture.

Mothers' day

Every mom who went to the Mexico City Tigers' game last Mothers Day was greeted at the gate by mariachis and a Tiger player, who handed them a red rose. During the game, the team gave away household appliances and a trip for two to Acapulco.

Build your own bobblehead

The bobblehead craze has swept through minor league towns everywhere - the Sarasota Red Sox even had a Jerry Springer bobblehead giveaway in honor of the team's most famous season-ticket holder - but few do it like the Fort Myers Miracle. Instead of immortalizing a player, manager or mascot, the Miracle drew the seat number of a lucky fan and created 10 special bobbleheads in his likeness.

Free food!

Only in Wisconsin: In the bottom of the fourth inning of every home game, the Appleton-based Timber Rattlers roll a mini-cannon around the field and fire 10-12 free individually wrapped bratwursts into the crowd. The mechanism's name: "The Bratzooka."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Here is UCLA's 2006 Baseball promotions -

I like how they tie involvement with the other programs (M/W basketball games) to the baseball team.

2006 UCLA Baseball Promotions
Bruin Fans, check this page for the most up-to-date events, give aways, and promotional days during this year's UCLA Baseball season.

Bruin Frequent Fan Card
Make sure to pick up your Frequent Fan Card available at the marketing table inside Jackie Robinson Stadium. For each game you attend, you'll receive a stamp good for one raffle ticket at the last home game of the year on Sunday, May 21st vs. Stanford. The more games you attend, the better your chances of winning great prizes at the Sunday, May 21st game vs. Stanford!

Senior Citizen Days
Senior Citizens 55 and older will enjoy FREE admission to all Tuesday home games when they present proper ID at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium! Are you a member or employee of a senior home? Your group can receive FREE admission by calling 310-206-7916.

Youth Baseball Days
Every Sunday is Youth Baseball Day! All youth baseball players (ages 13 & under) will enjoy FREE admission when they wear their uniform to Jackie Robinson Stadium. Coaches can bring their team for FREE too by calling 310-206-7916.

Future Bruins
Your Youth Baseball team can join the Bruins on the field for the National Anthem at select home games at Jackie Robinson Stadium! Contact 310-206-7916 for more information.

Friday, February 3 vs. Fresno State 6:00PM

Present your ticket stub from the February 2 UCLA vs. Arizona State or February 4 Arizona Men's Basketball games at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium and receive FREE admission to today's game!
Friday, February 4 vs. Fresno State 4:00PM

Present your ticket stub from the February 2 UCLA vs. Arizona State or February 4 Arizona Men's Basketball games at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium and receive FREE admission to today's game!
Sunday, February 5 vs. Fresno State 1:00PM

Youth Baseball Day
Sunday, February 12 vs. Miami 1:00PM

Present your ticket stub from the February 11 UCLA vs. Washington Women's Basketball game at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium and receive FREE admission to today's game!

Youth Baseball Day
Tuesday, February 14 vs. UC Riverside 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day

Tuesday, February 21 vs. Pepperdine 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day
Friday, February 24 vs. Cal State Fullerton 6:00PM

Present your ticket stub from the February 23 UCLA vs. Oregon State Men's Basketball game at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium and receive FREE admission to today's game!
Saturday, March 11 vs. Ole Miss 2:00PM

Faculty & Staff Day - UCLA Faculty & Staff will enjoy four free admissions when they present their BruinCard or paystub at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. Click here to see all of our faculty & staff promotions.
Sunday, March 12 vs. Ole Miss 1:00PM

Youth Baseball Day
Tuesday, March 14 vs. UNLV 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day
Sunday, March 19 vs. San Diego State 1:00PM

UCLA Recreation Cardholders Day - All UCLA Recreation Cardholders will enjoy four free admissions when they present their UCLA Recreation ID at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium.

UCLA Baseball Camper Day - All UCLA Baseball youth campers will receive three free admissions to this game when they present a flyer at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. High School aged baseball campers must RSVP prior to the game. For more information contact the UCLA Sports Camps program at 310-206-3550.

Team Autograph Session - Be sure to stick around after the game as members of the UCLA Baseball team will be signing autographs for all fans in attendance! The first 250 Bruin fans into Jackie Robinson Stadium will also receive an exclusive UCLA Baseball team card!

Youth Baseball Day

Tuesday, April, 4 vs. UC Irvine 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day

Saturday, April 8 vs. Washington State 2:00PM

All law enforcement and public safety personnel will receive four free admissions when they present their badge or ID at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. Click here to see all of UCLA's Public Safety Day promotions.

All Veterans and Active Military personnel will receive four free admissions when they arrive in uniform or present proper ID at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. Click here to see all of UCLA's Veterans & Armed Forces Appreciation promotions.

Team Autograph Session - Be sure to stick around after the game as members of the UCLA Baseball team will be signing autographs for all fans in attendance! The first 250 Bruin fans into Jackie Robinson Stadium will also receive an exclusive UCLA Baseball team card!
Sunday, April 9 vs. Washington State 1:00PM

Youth Baseball Day
Tuesday, April 18 vs. Long Beach State 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day
Sunday, April 23 vs. Arizona State 1:00PM

Athletics For Youth - This program provides complimentary tickets to selected UCLA Athletic events to non-profit children's organizations and other charitable community groups. Click here to find out if your group qualifies.

Children's Day - This program is designed for children currently in foster homes or foster care in the Southern California region. Call our Youth Programs office at 310-206-5990 to see if your group qualifies.

Reading Day - Children who have participated in UCLA's Reading Day program will receive four free admissions when they present a stamped flyer from their local library. Click here to find out more about UCLA's Reading Day program.

Team Day - All southern California high school baseball teams are invited to receive FREE admission to this game when they RSVP for this event online by clicking here!

Youth Baseball Day
Tuesday, April 25 vs. UCSB 6:00PM

Senior Citizen Day

Saturday, May 13 vs. USC 4:30PM

Faculty & Staff Day - UCLA Faculty & Staff will enjoy four free admissions when they present their BruinCard or paystub at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. Click here to see all of our faculty & staff promotions.

All [b]UCLA Alumni Association members [/b]will receive two free admissions when they present their Alumni Association Card at the main gate of Jackie Robinson Stadium. Join fellow Alumni Association members for a pre-game tailgate before the game at Jackie Robinson Stadium. To RSVP for this event please call 310-206-3798 or e-mail NFarnham@UCLAlumni.net.
Sunday, May 14 vs. USC 4:30PM

Youth Baseball Day
Sunday, May 21 vs. Stanford 1:00PM

Youth Baseball Day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

We also shouldn't overlook the possibility of hiring some outside help to promote our athletic dept. Here is one firm out of TX that appears to have an impressive history of promoting events and raising attendance.

http://www.hometownsportspromo.com/htsp_projects.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 pm 
Team Captain

This might sound really corny and you can let me know. What about something like the "Purple Cubs Club" where the kids from different elementary schools in the area/county get into the game for free and get discounted concessions. It could be a different elementary school for each home game throughout the season. They could buy Purple Cubs Club T-Shirts and sit in their own section (kinda like the Burls kids in Fayetteville). This would bring some more parents to the game and we would be "raising up" a new and younger generation of Bear Fans. Just something to think about, but I think it could work.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:03 am 
Two-Time All-American

philgood80 wrote:
This might sound really corny and you can let me know. What about something like the "Purple Cubs Club" where the kids from different elementary schools in the area/county get into the game for free and get discounted concessions. It could be a different elementary school for each home game throughout the season. They could buy Purple Cubs Club T-Shirts and sit in their own section (kinda like the Burls kids in Fayetteville). This would bring some more parents to the game and we would be "raising up" a new and younger generation of Bear Fans. Just something to think about, but I think it could work.

Phil

Phil, this is exactly the type of program we need to put an emphasis on. It is grass roots and it gives us an opportunity to introduce our program to the community and create fans for life. Once these familys see that UCA athletics offers extremely affordable family entertainment it will definitely build up our fan base.

Let's just shorten your organization to the "Cub Club".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:03 am 
Team Captain

Cub Club sounds good to me. I really think it would work and create lifelong UCA fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:10 am 
UserName Retired

I have no idea whether the Cub Club would work, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I think it's a great idea Phil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:43 am 
UserName Retired

IMO, most of the suggestions mentioned by several of you have merit when it comes to using promotions and/or gimmicks to help increase attendance at our athletic events. Playing devil's advocate here, the only thing that is going to fill the seats and keep them full, is a winning tradition in said sport. It has already been posted on here that on food night promotions, that by the second half that nearly half of the crowd ups and leaves. I'm more concerned about our fans having the mindset that we are a winning team and let's stay to the end of the game to celebrate another victory.
I know that consistent winning is probably a couple of years down the road therefore the promotions approach is a viable alternative to wanting to build up a fan base. Promotional nights might be a quick fix to the problem but I would be suspect of its longevity to success in building up a fan base.
There's no doubt that the new tailgating promotion we had this past year for football had a great influence in the increase for attendance. However, the fact that we have established a winning tradition in football brought more people out to the tailgates. I think both the success of the team and the success of the tailgating made for an ideal situation for the fans.
I feel that this same situation will have to be created for the other sports as well. I know we can't have tailgates for all athletic events, so the promotional idea is good. But, in the meantime, we will have to put together a winning program to go along with it.