It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am 
Two-Time All-American

I agree that winning will definitely help keep the fans. UCA football was promoted at a higher level and look what it did for attendance. In minor league baseball it doesn't matter whether you have a winning or losing team it is all about promotions. I think we really need to take a look at that approach. If recruits visit and see well attended ball games it makes it much easier to get better players, more wins. But, even winning programs (UCLA above) still have to promote to keep their attendance up.

The Razorback football and basketball teams in recent seasons have had losing records and they still had very good attendance marks b/c they know how to promote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 pm 
All-Conference

Cub Club has been done and failed. It was given up on two years ago due to lack of Cubs.

Volleyball's two biggest crowds ever happened in the fall. The biggest was against Arkansas State (416 in the crowd). The second was against Sam Houston State (408), which was also free smoothies from Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Most of the fans stayed until the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:27 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah I liked the Topical Smoothie night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

[quote="BadNewsBear"]Cub Club has been done and failed. It was given up on two years ago due to lack of Cubs.
quote]
Why do you have to have a club? Have a "student promotion" everyone with a school ID, from wherever, gets in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm 
UserName Retired

=D> for all the sane suggestions.
Now, for the insane suggestion. Have an elected, or required, course for all freshmen and sophomores to attend athletic events held at UCA. Could be called Student Athletic Participation, or something like that. Any games starting at 6 p.m. or later their attendance would be required. The more games they attend, the better their grade. Make it a 3 hour credit course. If they sign up then it's a must do thing. Scan their student ids on the way out of the game, download it into the system and voila, an easy A. No books to buy, no studying to do, all you do is just show up.
Hey, I don't know what crip courses are offered today to help with the old gpa, but this would be doable. Back in my days we had badminton, bowling, and archery. I took 'em all. Still had to study (a little) for a final, though.
I got an idea on how to make money grow on trees if anyone is interested. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:10 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BadNewsBear wrote:
Cub Club has been done and failed. It was given up on two years ago due to lack of Cubs.

Volleyball's two biggest crowds ever happened in the fall. The biggest was against Arkansas State (416 in the crowd). The second was against Sam Houston State (408), which was also free smoothies from Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Most of the fans stayed until the end.

Was the Cub Club being run by volunteers or by someone employed by the athletic dept? Was it being promoted or funded in anyway? I guess the question I am asking is "Was it being run properly"?

416 & 408 to a volleyball game? Man that is bigger crowds than the Sugar Bear Basketball! Does anyone still think that promo's can't be done successfully at UCA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:14 pm 
Team Captain

BadNewsBear wrote:

I graduated from UCA in 2005 and I had no idea there was such a thing. Maybe it was not promoted very widely, or maybe I was just in the dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:54 am 
2nd Team

The cub club was run by the athletic department. Not to say it was done quite as well as it could have been, due to lack of personnel and lack of funding, but there was a good idea behind it.
It was for kids up to 6th grade. We went ot all of the Conway elementary schools, etc to promote it. One problem is the Conway schools are not really that easy to work with. We wanted to bring Victor E Bear to each school, but the admin thought that might get the kids too "excited". It was difficult working with the school system, so we also promoted it at local businesses, but it just did not really go anywhere. For $5 they got a t-shirt, a membership card which got them into all the home athletic events for free, and special offers like birthday parties at an athletic event, etc.
That is not to say though that it is not worth another try. Sometimes new blood with new excitement makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That's the Conway community for you, if it had been a pig mascot I bet they wouldn't care if all those kids peed their pants! :roll: :( :evil:

It is necessary that we give it another try. If not through the schools then via the city rec/youth leagues and advertising. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

something a little off topic, but yet in the general vacinity. When we were at Taco Bell in Nacogdoches TX Wednesday night, we ntoiced all the decorative tiles in the place around the counter area had SFA logos on them. That just showed me one way some communities and businesses in those communities support their local university. Now before I get jumped on, I know there are local establishments in conway who support UCA. But I just htought it was cool to see a major food chain support their local univ. like that. Made me wish we had some here do that with ours, like Mc Donalds, Wendy's BK, Taco Bell fo that matter....but I figure if any of them put any decorative tiles up, they would likely have hogs on them. Is that too pessimistic of me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

(Sugar)Bear Fan 101 wrote:
something a little off topic, but yet in the general vacinity. When we were at Taco Bell in Nacogdoches TX Wednesday night, we ntoiced all the decorative tiles in the place around the counter area had SFA logos on them. That just showed me one way some communities and businesses in those communities support their local university. Now before I get jumped on, I know there are local establishments in conway who support UCA. But I just htought it was cool to see a major food chain support their local univ. like that. Made me wish we had some here do that with ours, like Mc Donalds, Wendy's BK, Taco Bell fo that matter....but I figure if any of them put any decorative tiles up, they would likely have hogs on them. Is that too pessimistic of me?

Not pessimistic at all! We have way too many local businesses that support a NWA school by hanging their memorabilia! Even local businesses with UCA alumni! It is both embarrassing and gets my blood boiling!!! It wouldn't bother me if it Hendrix or CBC logos but a school that does nothing locally for our community is a slap in the face to all three of our schools! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Now with that said it would be nice for the school to make some better banners, flags, wall clocks, sweatshirts more readily available! The bookstore website offers a bunch of junk! Who wants a freakin $99 UCA rocking chair? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:29 pm 
Team Captain

BadNewsBear wrote:

True, and I don't even think there was a promotion for the ASU game but it was an in state match up. The one thing volleyball has going for it is the size of their gym. It is small, but creates a fun atmosphere where a couple of hundred make for a loud evening. ( and up close to the action)

Also, I agree that winning will solve some of the problems. I know McMurry University in Abilene, TX (D 3) had low attendance until a new coach brought in the run and gun. After 1 season it was standing room only. They started winning, but it was also fun to watch. Not sure if that coach is still there or if they still do that but they were in the late 90's early 00's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 am 
2nd Team

[quote="(Sugar)Bear Fan 101"]something a little off topic, but yet in the general vacinity. When we were at Taco Bell in Nacogdoches TX Wednesday night, we ntoiced all the decorative tiles in the place around the counter area had SFA logos on them. That just showed me one way some communities and businesses in those communities support their local university. Now before I get jumped on, I know there are local establishments in conway who support UCA. But I just htought it was cool to see a major food chain support their local univ. like that. Made me wish we had some here do that with ours, like Mc Donalds, Wendy's BK, Taco Bell fo that matter....but I figure if any of them put any decorative tiles up, they would likely have hogs on them. Is that too pessimistic of me?[/quote]

Nacogdoches is an incredible community. They support every team in full force down to their rodeo team and their cheerleaders.
Conway on the other hand: 2500 or so UofA football season tickets are sold in Faulkner Co. every year. Anyone want to guess how many UCA football season tickets are sold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 am 
UserName Retired

GoBears02 wrote:
(Sugar)Bear Fan 101 wrote:

Nacogdoches is an incredible community. They support every team in full force down to their rodeo team and their cheerleaders.
Conway on the other hand: 2500 or so UofA football season tickets are sold in Faulkner Co. every year. Anyone want to guess how many UCA football season tickets are sold?

I am guessing less than 2500... :oops: