All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do we need a new font?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: UCA Font
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:11 pm 
All-Conference

Okay, I just gotta say this: I hate our font.

You know, that scraggly, scribbled typeset that I guess is supposed to evoke the image of a bear's claws marks, but to me just looks like it was scratched out by a 1st grader.

For a reference example, see the side of the guy's football helmets.

Rationale: the font just doesn't look dignified to me. The collegiate style that I have noticed in many places emphasizes the block lettering, though with local influenced added. You just expect a college to have it's typeset look a certain way, and to me ours just doesn't work. I hate to say it, but it looks sort of high school-ish.

Maybe it's time to consider a helment redesign? A new font, please Lu! And, I may get the chair for this, but I think we need a logo redesign. The Kentucky Wildcat knock-off just isn't kosher anymore now that we're running with the big boys. I mean, we may even play them!

One request: let's not do a "running bear" redesign, okay? :D :shock: :D

Post subject: Re: UCA Font
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearBandMan wrote:
Okay, I just gotta say this: I hate our font.

You know, that scraggly, scribbled typeset that I guess is supposed to evoke the image of a bear's claws marks, but to me just looks like it was scratched out by a 1st grader.

For a reference example, see the side of the guy's football helmets.

Rationale: the font just doesn't look dignified to me. The collegiate style that I have noticed in many places emphasizes the block lettering, though with local influenced added. You just expect a college to have it's typeset look a certain way, and to me ours just doesn't work. I hate to say it, but it looks sort of high school-ish.

Maybe it's time to consider a helment redesign? A new font, please Lu! And, I may get the chair for this, but I think we need a logo redesign. The Kentucky Wildcat knock-off just isn't kosher anymore now that we're running with the big boys. I mean, we may even play them!

One request: let's not do a "running bear" redesign, okay? :D :shock: :D

Great points BBM!

I would like for our athletics to move in the direction of simply going by Central Arkansas. It would look better on our uniforms and memorabilia. If you read most articles and polls we are referred to as Central Arkansas and will continue to do so.

Our baseball team use to use just the CA logo on our uniforms and then went back to the UCA just recently. I think the old baseball logo would look cool on all of our athletic uniforms. It looked almost identical to the Augustana College logo. Just think how cool our football team would look if this helmet was Purple and Gray!

I would also like to go a different direction from the current Bear logo. We need a design that is much easier to produce. The current bear is too cartoon like and is harder to produce.

I like the Icon style images. Very simple one or two color designs. Here are some examples of what I am talking about if we used a bear of course.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Now compare ours to the above.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:18 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I kinda like the idea of a new set of wordmarks and logos if it unifies the entire university's athletic programs, Bears and Sugar Bears.

Now a good question could be is this. If/when this would even be thought about, could the school find someone to do it? Or would the school have to shell out a ton of money to a firm to create a new brand and identity for UCA, which is what we are talking about, a new identity and brand, not a font.

History lesson, or at least I'm curious to know, but didn't Coach Conque create the current helmet logo when he got here to UCA to stand out? I thought that is what I heard, and it worked too!

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:47 am 
UserName Retired

I voted yes, we do need a new font because I don't really like the lower case script, but I do like have UCA on the helmets and jerseys. As for the Bear image, I think it is time for an updated version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 am 
UserName Retired

No doubt that we're not following the crowd, and this is one time where we need to be. I've complained about this for years.

And we have an art department on campus. Instead of shelling out thousands to some random firm, make it a campus-wide competition and shell out some cash to the winner. I know I've read other places updating their logos have contests.

Even use that great uca.edu website and add a poll so everyone can see the nominees and vote for their favorite. And if the administration isn't wild on the results, they can doctor them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:10 pm 
All-Conference

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I kinda like the idea of a new set of wordmarks and logos if it unifies the entire university's athletic programs, Bears and Sugar Bears.

...would the school have to shell out a ton of money to a firm to create a new brand and identity for UCA, which is what we are talking about, a new identity and brand, not a font.

Good points Bear Fan, so good I wish I had said them originally. We need to unite the Bears & Sugar Bears in to one group. I think the Sugar Bear think is sort of cute, but hard to take seriously -- and we want the girls teams to be taken just as seriously as the guys.

I also agree that this is really about creating a new brand and image to convey our growing reputation & status, but I just wanted to start out with something simple like a new font for the helmets. I'm sure there are people already on the job of tweaking the university's image. Using the art department & including public input is an excellent idea, for sure.

Oh, and no respect to our great coach -- his design did make us stand out in DII, but now it's time to look like the other big boys in the crowd Coach Conque has helped us join!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 pm 
UserName Retired

I think the Penn State logo would be cool if it were a side view of a bear's face and in deep purple to black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BEARS2006 wrote:
I think the Penn State logo would be cool if it were a side view of a bear's face and in deep purple to black.

and the Kansas St would be good too. They both would be good logo's to build from. They are clean, crisp and very sharp.

ImageImage

The other thing we have to do is to come up with a specific shade of color for Bear Purple & Gray. I believe we still have teams playing in different shades of purple. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Personallly I think the font looks good on the helmets and such...In fact I had some friends from Sam Houston who commented on our uniforms this past season...

Now with that said I think we could find a new bear behind the UCA, that one looks kind of pansie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
Personallly I think the font looks good on the helmets and such...In fact I had some friends from Sam Houston who commented on our uniforms this past season...

Now with that said I think we could find a new bear behind the UCA, that one looks kind of pansie

I think the uniforms and helmets are great! After all these years of bland uniforms they finally got it right, I would just like to change the logos and lettering on them.

Not only is the Bear outdated but he is standing behind the old UCA logo that was on the old white helmets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 am 
UserName Retired

I do like the way the script uca looks on the helmets.
But when I've tried to use it and the bear logo on my own image-playing-around it's hard to get them to work.

And, I love the idea of setting some exact color of purple and gray. There might actually be colors that have been determined in the past, but I'd like to know what they are...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

UCA does have official color pantone's somewhere, but not sure how to go about finding them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 am 
UserName Retired

That's what I figured...

But look at all the stuff around your post - avatar, 3 signature images - they all have different color purple...

It's not really a problem in that case, but if we're using different colors within our own sports team/branding, that's a little weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yep, I just go by eye sight on the shade of purple! I perfer the darker shades really. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:54 am 
Two-Time All-American

"CA" sucks!!! We are UCA and need to stay that way.

The "font" on the helmet is fine, I personally like it.

The "Bear" image is a little weak in my opinion. I loved it back in the '70's or '80's (my memory is fading fast) when we used the Bear Paw on the jerseys. There is no doubt a better "Bear" could be used.