Do we need a new font?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
"CA" sucks!!! We are UCA and need to stay that way.

The "font" on the helmet is fine, I personally like it.

The "Bear" image is a little weak in my opinion. I loved it back in the '70's or '80's (my memory is fading fast) when we used the Bear Paw on the jerseys. There is no doubt a better "Bear" could be used.

Bennett Brauer wrote:
Maybe I don't "wipe properly"

"Go" "Bears" "!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:38 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Like 75 I love the football uniforms, helmets and "UCA" logo......agreed that the Bear could be meaner looking (not as in Menar the town but meaner the animal) ..... I can assure you that thar are real mean lookin bares in Arkansas as I have come across them wilderness hiking ....come to think of it, bears are actually native to Arkansas unlike some school mascots....maybe a money prize to any student or alum who submits a winning redesign although you might have to have a professional artist touch it up once you know what you are going after. As for "UCA" vs "Central Arkansas"....maybe ESPN , et al have to use "Cent Ark" for their scrolls and national writers pick that up but the "UCA" brand in Arkansas and the region is pretty strong and well-known. I have no problem with the Baseball Bears use "CA" .... Oklahoma State uses State, OSU, spells it out, Cowboys, Cowpokes and maybe others...doubt if people get confused (well maybe Huskers and Tigers fans get confused but you cannot make it too simple for them). As much as I loved the Bears of old, the uniforms of today look much slicker.

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:

The "font" on the helmet is fine, I personally like it.

The "Bear" image is a little weak in my opinion. I loved it back in the '70's or '80's (my memory is fading fast) when we used the Bear Paw on the jerseys. There is no doubt a better "Bear" could be used.

A Paw could look sweet on the helmet too.

ImageImage

Last edited by UCAMonkey on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:41 am 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:

Yes we are .....Universal Cheerleaders Association

http://www.varsity.com/index.asp?brand=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:54 am 
Two-Time All-American

Something like these could be pretty cool.

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:09 am 
UserName Retired

UCAMonkey wrote:

ImageImageImage

I like the Ice one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:06 am 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:

ImageImageImage

Is that first logo from an arena fb team? or hockey? Anyway, someone was mentioning our name sharing with the Universal Cheerleaders Association, and it brought a couple of stories to mind......

When I was in the BMB, I think in '02 or '03, we took a trip to Florence, AL (our big yearly away trip back then) to play N. Alabama. Everyone in the band got a big kick out of the fact that N. Alabama put us on the scoreboard as "CAU" instead of "UCA." It was funny at the time; I guess you had to be there. We adjusted the "YUCA Bear" cheer accordingly :)

Also, I usually opt to say "Central Arkansas" over "UCA" when talking to someone outside of the central Arkansas area about the school, because there are a great many people I have encountered who are familar with UCA = Universal Cheerleaders Association, so I avoid having to explain myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearBandMan wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:

ImageImageImage

Is that first logo from an arena fb team? or hockey? Anyway, someone was mentioning our name sharing with the Universal Cheerleaders Association, and it brought a couple of stories to mind......

When I was in the BMB, I think in '02 or '03, we took a trip to Florence, AL (our big yearly away trip back then) to play N. Alabama. Everyone in the band got a big kick out of the fact that N. Alabama put us on the scoreboard as "CAU" instead of "UCA." It was funny at the time; I guess you had to be there. We adjusted the "YUCA Bear" cheer accordingly :)

Also, I usually opt to say "Central Arkansas" over "UCA" when talking to someone outside of the central Arkansas area about the school, because there are a great many people I have encountered who are familar with UCA = Universal Cheerleaders Association, so I avoid having to explain myself.

Asheville Assault of the National Women's Football Association. :lol:

The reasons you just mentioned are why I wouldn't mind moving away from UCA. Although we may get a ton of hits on the internet = more exposure b/c we share UCA with a major association.

Another confusion I've actually run into is being mixed up with UCLA. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:

ImageImageImage

I like the Ice one!

I would like a Bear version of the second one myself and/or a logo similar to Texas State's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:

National whose-it of the what-now? :shock: :shock: I didn't know there was such a thing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:07 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearBandMan wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:

National whose-it of the what-now? :shock: :shock: I didn't know there was such a thing....

Our athletic program needs to decide which UCA script they want to use on all the uniforms. Right now there is not a consistent logo/image that our athletic teams portray. For instance look at how different our football and soccer uniform scripts are. The more consistent our image is the easier it will be to build a brand image more recognizable and easier to build a brand image.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:59 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCAMonkey wrote:
BearBandMan wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:

Our athletic program needs to decide which UCA script they want to use on all the uniforms. Right now there is not a consistent logo/image that our athletic teams portray. For instance look at how different our football and soccer uniform scripts are. The more consistent our image is the easier it will be to build a brand image more recognizable and easier to build a brand image.

[/img]

This is a very good point. It is unreasonable to expect an athletic department that has a variety of logos and fonts to be able to brand itself. Case in point, those buffoons over at the University of North Carolina. They use a few different looks, and struggle mightily to brand themselves. They hardly sell any memorabilia whatsoever due to this carelessness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that's the best example you could give...of all the schools you picked, u had to pick those crappers? :lol: Although your use of buffoons seems spot on to me!

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The same NC logo is down the side of the basketball shorts, track uniform and baseball cap. So there was a logo that was consistently used as well as Tar-Heel Blue. The script was basically the same on the basketball/baseball uniform as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BF, I picked the Tar Holes just for you. :D Sweet dreams, buddy.

Monkey, the lettering on the basketball and baseball jerseys are not alike. One is a serif font, the other is sans serif. That's pretty easy to distinguish. Additionally, one uses "North" where the other does not. And the track jersey doesn't use any words, only the NC logo. Inconsistency at its finest. They may all have a common thread, but they have their differences as well – which proves my point that all the uniforms do not need to be, well, uniform, in order for the university to be able to properly market/brand its athletics. If you look around the nation you'll find that there are differences all over the board in several places.

Take Arkansas, for instance. The lettering on their football jerseys looks nothing like the lettering on the baseball jerseys. The hog on the football helmet in no way resembles what's tattooed on the basketball floor at halfcourt and what used to appear on the shorts. They do okay in branding, though.

There are other examples I'm sure, I just don't feel like bringing every case to light. The way I figure it, you need one good central theme (the logo), but after that, the more different recognizable symbols, alternate logos, fonts, etc. that you can come up with, that's the more you can market and sell.