It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Cheerleaders -- Again
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Having been to all Bears games so far, both on the road and at home, it has become very disturbing to the fanbase that has followed the team on our road trips that in two of those three games that no UCA cheerleaders have been present at the games. Seeing as to how no one in the stands has an explanation for their absense we are hoping that some or one of you in Wingo Hall might be able to shed some light on this travesty of nonsupport from the so-called cheerleading squad.
It is an insult to the team and the fans who take up a weekend to follow their beloved Bears to not have the "what is supposed to be number one spirit group of a university" nowhere in sight at any ball game.
Now if anyone at UCA can't make the cheerleaders, whether it be part of that group or all of them, attend all football games, then what exactly is their purpose concerning UCA sports. If they are so concerned about their competitions showings, then so be it but let's remove the name of cheerleaders from their job description and call them something else.
Surely there is money somewhere that can be used to rent a van and haul a portion of the squad to the ball games.
Now, seeing as to how Mr. Weems from UTM got recognized for his complimentary post on UCAFANS.COM to this university on the atmosphere of UCA football and tailgating, maybe President Hardin will address this situation tomorrow at Bear Backers and let us travelling faithful know why no cheerleaders.
It has become rather embarrassing at NSU and now MSU when I am asked by some of our player's parents "where are our cheerleaders" and all I know to do is just answer them with a shoulder shrug. Please provide us with a legitimate answer for their question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:58 am 
Redshirt

Was anything said about this in bearbackers? Is it a financial situation. I know a lot of schools just don't have the money to pay for the cheerleaders to travel to all away games, especially if they are funded through athletics rather than student services. Are our cheerleaders under the athletic department or the student services? I bet their are a few cheerleaders on here that could shed some light?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 am 
Two-Time All-American

Maybe they're just too busy. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:56 pm 
All-Conference

Who cares if they're not at road games. This isn't high school, where they load up on the yellow bus and travel on Friday night. Besides, with their academic record over the past few years, they need to stay at home study.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:36 pm 
UserName Retired

BadNewsBear wrote:
Who cares if they're not at road games. This isn't high school, where they load up on the yellow bus and travel on Friday night. Besides, with their academic record over the past few years, they need to stay at home study.

Well, me and a hell of a lot of other fans at the ball game the other night care. And you're right, high school cheerleaders travel to all away games, ours don't. What's your point? I don't know where the blame lies on ours not being in Springfield but there was a good group of students there. If they can make the closest away game why not the "so-called spirit leaders" of UCA.
How much would it actually cost to rent a van and pay gas for a 350 mile round trip. $250 max to haul 8-10 of them up there and back.
BTW PP, nice pic of the group on the Florida beach. Wonder how much that little trip cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 am 
UserName Retired

I'm not trying to disagree with you HB, but I think the students are just as good - really better - at starting the cheers/chants than those designated to lead the cheers. The good news is that we only have three more road games. The bad news is that two of those games are pretty far away compared to the three we've had already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:18 pm 
UserName Retired

treyuca wrote:
I'm not trying to disagree with you HB, but I think the students are just as good - really better - at starting the cheers/chants than those designated to lead the cheers. The good news is that we only have three more road games. The bad news is that two of those games are pretty far away compared to the three we've had already.

Point taken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

5 days and counting. I can't believe noone's got on here and "lined" everyone out yet. 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Purple Pride wrote:
5 days and counting. I can't believe noone's got on here and "lined" everyone out yet. 8-[

Games probably interfere with their practice schedule for competetive cheering practice. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:59 am 
2nd Team

Okay, seriously are we at this again? I can't say that I know what the budget is this year, but I know in years past the cheerleaders received about $12,000. After purchasing uniforms for the new kids (about $2,000), shoes for the new kids ($800) cold-gear for the new kids ($1500) a few t-shirts for each of them ($800) and this is all just guess-timates... you have about $6,900.
To travel to away games you have to get one of the UCA vans which is about $1/mile meaning a trip to Springfield and back is about $400 you feed the 10 people attending two times and the trip costs about $550. And that is the short trip. A longer trip means more money for the van(s) plus hotel rooms, plus more meals. That $6,900 has to last all through football and basketball season, not to mention that they also often purchase spirit items to do give-aways for special events, etc. And if the coach wants to do anything special for them, say an end of the year dinner, this comes out of that budget....
And they have, in years past, raised about $15,000/year doing their own fundraisers so that they can attend the national cheer competition. SFA and others on their level that attend don't have to fundraise-it is built into their schedule...
So before everyone jumps on the cheerleaders (I mean seriously) think about how hard they work and how little they actually get out of it. Maybe they should not expect to get a lot out of it, but they do deserve the respect of the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:25 am 
UserName Retired

GoBears02 wrote:
Okay, seriously are we at this again? I can't say that I know what the budget is this year, but I know in years past the cheerleaders received about $12,000. After purchasing uniforms for the new kids (about $2,000), shoes for the new kids ($800) cold-gear for the new kids ($1500) a few t-shirts for each of them ($800) and this is all just guess-timates... you have about $6,900.
To travel to away games you have to get one of the UCA vans which is about $1/mile meaning a trip to Springfield and back is about $400 you feed the 10 people attending two times and the trip costs about $550. And that is the short trip. A longer trip means more money for the van(s) plus hotel rooms, plus more meals. That $6,900 has to last all through football and basketball season, not to mention that they also often purchase spirit items to do give-aways for special events, etc. And if the coach wants to do anything special for them, say an end of the year dinner, this comes out of that budget....
And they have, in years past, raised about $15,000/year doing their own fundraisers so that they can attend the national cheer competition. SFA and others on their level that attend don't have to fundraise-it is built into their schedule...
So before everyone jumps on the cheerleaders (I mean seriously) think about how hard they work and how little they actually get out of it. Maybe they should not expect to get a lot out of it, but they do deserve the respect of the fans.

Maybe they should petition to get some of this stuff included in the athletic budget if other schools do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:41 pm 
All-Conference

Bear Backers today, The Cheerleaders are going to SHSU, also the ENTIRE band is going!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Good deal about SHS trip....we need to step up and find the money for the cheer group and the band for every game..at least a pep band like at Ruston...they were terrific....

How many of us will pay a ticket surcharge dedicated to cheer and band for football games??

A $1 surcharge raises about $35,000 so it would take a bit.....how about a corporate sponsor for band?????

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
UserName Retired

I wouldn't mind paying $5 more a semester to have the band and cheer teams at every game possible. Heck, it's only $5, you really wouldn't notice it gone with all the other fees listed in your payments. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

What are ya'll talkin about? Pay for it with student fees like soccer? Sounds good to me. :wink: