It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA Bear Shop Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:15 am 
Redshirt

Because of the location of the UCA Bookstore deep in the heart of campus and out of the way of non-students, I think UCA needs to consider building a UCA Bear Shop or something of the likes more on the outskirts of campus. Perhaps somewhere along Farris or Bruce would be ideal, because of the street accessibility and proximity to the tailgating areas, Estes Stadium, the Farris Center, the Prince Center, and UCA Field. It would be close enough to campus (if not on campus) for students to use it as well, so the UCA Bookstore could free up a little bit of space and the UCA Bear Shop could be dedicated to merchandise. I'm not saying that the Bookstore should stop carrying merchandise, but at busy times like the beginning and end of the semester, it would be nice to have the extra floorspace to accomodate all of the students.

Apparel
UCA Bookstore sells Yikes, Champion, Red Shirt, Jones & Mitchell, Jansport, etc. It seems like most universities go with Gear for Sports. Just glancing at the catalog, it gives ideas on the latest styles (which is somewhat important for most college students) and provides a wide variety of apparel. Yes, there's more out there than t-shirts and hoodies!

Merchandise
Let's face it, the only drinkware listed on the UCA Bookstore site is coffeehouse mugs and green acrylic stainless barrel mugs. Where are the tankards, pub glasses, pints, shot glasses, water bottles, tumblers, coozies... These are the things that we need to stamp a UCA logo on and sell like crazy! As tailgating takes off, UCA marketing needs to jump on the opportunity and start selling folding chairs, coolers, more stickers, and more flags. For the wet weather - raincoats, plastic ponchos, umbrellas. Maybe even some of those plastic boots that all the girls wear when campus turns into Lake Conway.

Advertising and Marketing
There are tons of commercials supporting UCA's academic credentials and Centennial Celebration, but how many people know about the UCA Bookstore? Having a UCA Bear Shop that can be seen from the street would advertise itself, especially on gameday. And who knows what the real UCA logo is? We have the script UCA, block UCA, diagonal UCA across a bear... For the commercials, billboards, campaigns (Bear Fever/Paint the Town Purple), and free t-shirt campains, we need to use ONE logo. I think the diagonal UCA across a bear is pretty nice - and it matches the diagonal UCA painted on First Security Field, the logo on the court in the Farris Center, and all the marching band apparel. And I think we have a university approved font, which needs to be used to unify advertising and marketing. We have a gigantic television attached to our stadium - why not advertise UCA merchandise vendors?

Whether UCA develops it or hires someone to come in and develop it, a UCA Bear Shop would benefit everyone. Students, fans, and supporters would have more choices on what to buy. The university would make money on it. School spirit would be better displayed and hopefully increase. Maybe students could get in on the process of developing and running all of this. The community could be more inspired to be involved with the university.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 am 
UserName Retired

Good stuff! I agree that there needs to be another permanent shopping space in a more prominent location on campus for the passersby to see and stop in and shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm 
All-Conference

Slowly but surely guys. :) MORE Drinkware WILL be on our site by Aug. Shot glasses, coffee mugs, etc. The beer glasses we have have been popular. I also have fleece blankets, long sleeve shirts, hoodies (almost), and another item or two that will be added to the website in the coming weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:33 pm 
UserName Retired

ARROWSATC wrote:
Slowly but surely guys. :) MORE Drinkware WILL be on our site by Aug. Shot glasses, coffee mugs, etc. The beer glasses we have have been popular. I also have fleece blankets, long sleeve shirts, hoodies (almost), and another item or two that will be added to the website in the coming weeks.

\:D/ Good stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:05 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ARROWSATC wrote:

Any thermal under garments? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:53 pm 
UserName Retired

I know there is drinkware in the bookstore on campus. I was there today. I saw shot glasses. Mugs, coffee cups etc.. It looks like they upgraded their selections recently. Plus tons of felt banners, jackets, sweats, ties etc. .....but the price remains...well....high. :wink: :lol: