It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm 
Practice Squad

hey guys we should probably be a little nicer on our former coaches. each one of them knows more about the sport than all of us combined. and though they are getting older, all it takes is a 5 minute conversation to know they are just as sharp as they were 20 years ago.

if we were in their shoes and our wives were upset, we would either go along with it to make her happy or get used to eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I'd eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before I gave up my manhood and dignity.

Like was stated earlier, it's only 1 day a week 7 times a year. Tell her to suck it up and quit being a :-#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Purple Pride wrote:
I'd eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before I gave up my manhood and dignity.

Say PP, I'm betting your wife doesn't read this board does she? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:03 pm 
All-Conference

I say we go get that cannon the National Guardsmen set off at the UAPB game!
They'll be happy to go back to the fireworks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Purple Pride wrote:

Say PP, I'm betting your wife doesn't read this board does she? :lol:
She does, I just get :roll: from her a lot.

After putting up with me for so long, there's not much that phases her anymore. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 am 
Two-Time All-American

YuckaBear wrote:
hey guys we should probably be a little nicer on our former coaches. each one of them knows more about the sport than all of us combined. and though they are getting older, all it takes is a 5 minute conversation to know they are just as sharp as they were 20 years ago.

if we were in their shoes and our wives were upset, we would either go along with it to make her happy or get used to eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner.

I have to disagree somewhat. I never coached nor played at UCA. But my butt is in the stands and so is my wife's (who has no connection to UCA other than mine).

My wife yells like crazy for the Bears. Drives or flies all over the country with me supporting them and this person (whose husband has made a living out of UCA athletics) is a little annoyed by a few fireworks 5-7 nights per year. Give me a break.

We have way, way to many "former greats" at UCA who never show up for games unless they are being honored or there is some type of reunion; never write checks (or only tiny ones); and simply use UCA without paying back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 am 
Practice Squad

this is interesting. While lu was still here, all the evidence in the world was out there against him and people continued to support and publicly defend him. We don't have all the facts straight on this fireworks ordeal yet and all of a sudden our former coaches are bad people and less greatful to uca than the rest of the fans?

we need to get the particulars straight before we start tarnishing good names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 pm 
Redshirt

I think you all are missing the larger picture. First of all, UCA is in a residential part of town. Many of those residents have lived in their homes for several years and bought them knowing they had a university for their neighbor. They understood there would be football games, various band concerts and students probably walking through their yards at some point. They did not understand that loud cannon noises would be booming during the games scaring animals and small children. Second of all, I think the onus is on UCA to be a good neighbor and respect its location. Thirdly, not everyone attends games. Some people don't care about football and others listen to the game on the radio. Finally, UCA has just gone through a very rough period in her history. The less we do to upset people, the better off UCA will be, especially in terms of fundraising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm 
All-Conference

I agree, to a point.

Mainly I agree that the arguements given by some of the residents around UCA could sound just like yours, given this is the topic you chose for your first post, you may be one.

I don't want UCA to scare small children....is this a major problem? I would like to hear if anyone has children who are being awakened by booms...if so eliminate the boom as much as possible and shoot some purple and grey fireworks that are quieter and more dramatic than an air burst.

Dogs, whatever

Fundraising, I would be amazed if anyone upset with UCA about the fireworks would withdraw support based on that, They can't believe that the university choosing celebrating a score/victory with 10,000+ people in the stands (who paid to be there) is outweighed by their dog not being trained well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:21 pm 
UserName Retired

75 wrote:
We have way, way to many "former greats" at UCA who never show up for games unless they are being honored or there is some type of reunion; never write checks (or only tiny ones); and simply use UCA without paying back.

This is a very true statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:14 pm 
Redshirt

You might be surprised at the reasons people give or don't give to institutions. What seems petty to some is very important to others, it's all in the perspective; usually, logic is not involved.

I don't think this should be about personalities. If what UCA is doing is offensive to some, UCA should quit doing it; especially if it's an easy, quick fix that will not result in harm. I've been going to Bear football games for over 20 years. A cannon bomb post touchdown does not make the touchdown any sweeter. Perhaps a compromise would be to shoot "pretty" fireworks (that don't make noise) or something similar.

I have run in Westgate and see families walking or biking w/ young children. While I don't know that those children are frightened by the kaboom, I can certainly understand it if they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 pm 
UserName Retired

I think a good comprimise for the residents and UCA would be if we just didn't score so much....

Instead of 6 or 7 booms a game..maybe just 4 or 5.... :shock:

Against Quincy I do believe one boom will be all that is necessary... :lol:

........hey, where's Monkey??? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:20 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:
I think a good comprimise for the residents and UCA would be if we just didn't score so much....

Instead of 6 or 7 booms a game..maybe just 4 or 5.... :shock:

Against Quincy I do believe one boom will be all that is necessary... :lol:

........hey, where's Monkey??? :?:

Do these neighbors flee the country on the 4th of July? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 pm 
UserName Retired

I'm just wondering what they do during thunderstorms? Maybe earplugs for the dogs would be an option. Seriously, I think it's real sad that the one making the biggest stink is an ex-coache's wife especially when he is on the UCA payroll. What's next - the band?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
If what UCA is doing is offensive to some, UCA should quit doing it

You have go to be kidding.....we often offended ATU but never would I want to quit beating their wonder-utts....

Estes has been where it is for a very long time as has the baseball field....live near any stadium and you can expect some inconvenience and noise..... just wait til the baseball stadium is filled some night. and the Bears win in the 12th inning late one night...are the dogs in therapy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next