It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:05 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I know 2 kids who love the kaboom. But that's neither here nor there.

Pretty fireworks WERE SHOT OFF after every score tonight, no loud booms, but Fireworks were shot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:44 am 
All-Conference

There are folks in this world that think if they didn't have something to gripe about, they would probably explode!

I've been to high school games that shot off fireworks (my hometown Charleston Tigers, among others), and even a few that shot off a cannon.

I live about 20 miles of so from a military base (Fort Chaffee) that used to rattle the windows when they set off those 16 inch Howitzers. And I'm talking about all hours of the day or night. Our men and women in uniform would be on drill setting those off for sometimes a week at a time before a break was taken. But I knew when I moved there that this would take place.

I love the fireworks.
I think this goes hand-in-hand with what got me started painting my face and acting stupid at ballgames in the first place. I got tired of people sitting there, chit-chatting, text-messaging, or acting like they're at a dad-gum picnic! It's a football game! Act like it! If you want a church service, go to church!
That's one thing that's wrong with the world today. We don't have enough people that's cheering for these young men and women, patting them on the back and saying "good job", or picking them up when they fall. Are they not worth it? Leave the fireworks, and let's celebrate their accomplishments (i.e. touchdown).

GO BEARS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:03 am 
UserName Retired

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:47 pm 
All-Conference

86bear wrote:
First of all, UCA is in a residential part of town. Many of those residents have lived in their homes for several years and bought them knowing they had a university for their neighbor. They understood there would be football games, various band concerts and students probably walking through their yards at some point. They did not understand that loud cannon noises would be booming during the games scaring animals and small children. Second of all, I think the onus is on UCA to be a good neighbor and respect its location. Thirdly, not everyone attends games. Some people don't care about football and others listen to the game on the radio. Finally, UCA has just gone through a very rough period in her history. The less we do to upset people, the better off UCA will be, especially in terms of fundraising.

Ocho, this sort of gets at the point I was(n't) making in my earlier post. UCA is in a more residential part of town, and as such there are more people nearby who will be annoyed by any little (or big) thing that happens at the campus. Conway is not a college town, and there are many residents who have a "I-could-do-without-it" attitude when it comes to UCA, even though the entire economy of the place practically revolves around it (money brought back from LR may be the exception).

People originally came to Conway to live in a nice, quiet, homogeneous suburb of LR. Now Conway is becoming a vibrant town w/ a more collegiate, youth-oriented atmosphere, a little more artistic & liberal, a little more cosmopolitan, a little less suburban. This doesn't sit well with everyone, maybe not even with the majority. UCA is, for these folks, a physical manifestation of the unwelcome changes in Conway. There's no "brand loyalty" involved like with other certain schools....

People in Conway don't like/embrace/tolerate change or growth much, in my experience living there for about 6 years. So we're not just trying to win over students to UCA, we're trying to win over residents of Conway, which is much harder. As much as some may think it doesn't matter, it indeed does matter that the town backs the university. There are multiple examples where this is the case.

This is the type of problem that erupts when UCA starts breaking out of the box it has been put in by so many for so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 pm 
Redshirt

I want the cannon explosions to cease. I endured it for the celebration of the 100 years, but that milestone is passed. What about the elderly people living in the near vicinity of UCA that may have different types of dementia that have care provided in their private residence and nursing care facilities? Not to mention folks in my neighborhood with small children trying to sleep at 9:00 p.m. My family attends the games and I still hate the noise. Being at the game does not make the noise less offensive! The College grew to our community -- not the other way around. You bet I knew when I bought my house I could hear football games, football practice, band practice, etc. These are normal activites. Having cannons explode in your back is NOT NORMAL!

The poster who is concerned about being a good neighbor is right on target. Should the entire community have to endure this noise because "the fans" enjoy it? The main difference here is when I bought my house 12 years ago, THIS NOISE WAS NOT PRESENT. What gives you the right to infringe upon my rights as a property owner? If this noise had been present 12 years ago, I would not be here now. All I'm asking is that the status quo return to what existed prior to your 100 year celebration. I guess you just can't enjoy football unless there is deafening noise to accompany it. Guess that explains why the past years of football were so horrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:31 pm 
All-Conference

Quote:
The College grew to our community -- not the other way around.

I don't think that's technically correct. I believe when UCA was first established it was "out in the fields" outside of Conway proper (maybe I'm wrong, but it looks very rural in pictures). Indeed, the dense residential community around UCA grew out to meet the college much faster than UCA grew.

I personally could do without the cannon shot myself. I like the fireworks though, they should definitely stay for the end of the games. However, a friendly note to those who live near the stadium(s): the crowds and the structures are only going to get bigger and louder and brighter over the next few years. So, if that's going to be a problem, you may want to start thinking about an escape plan. That's by no means a threat, just facts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 am 
Two-Time All-American

BearBandMan wrote:
86bear wrote:
First of all, UCA is in a residential part of town. Many of those residents have lived in their homes for several years and bought them knowing they had a university for their neighbor. They understood there would be football games, various band concerts and students probably walking through their yards at some point. They did not understand that loud cannon noises would be booming during the games scaring animals and small children. Second of all, I think the onus is on UCA to be a good neighbor and respect its location. Thirdly, not everyone attends games. Some people don't care about football and others listen to the game on the radio. Finally, UCA has just gone through a very rough period in her history. The less we do to upset people, the better off UCA will be, especially in terms of fundraising.

Ocho, this sort of gets at the point I was(n't) making in my earlier post. UCA is in a more residential part of town, and as such there are more people nearby who will be annoyed by any little (or big) thing that happens at the campus. Conway is not a college town, and there are many residents who have a "I-could-do-without-it" attitude when it comes to UCA, even though the entire economy of the place practically revolves around it (money brought back from LR may be the exception).

People originally came to Conway to live in a nice, quiet, homogeneous suburb of LR. Now Conway is becoming a vibrant town w/ a more collegiate, youth-oriented atmosphere, a little more artistic & liberal, a little more cosmopolitan, a little less suburban. This doesn't sit well with everyone, maybe not even with the majority. UCA is, for these folks, a physical manifestation of the unwelcome changes in Conway. There's no "brand loyalty" involved like with other certain schools....

People in Conway don't like/embrace/tolerate change or growth much, in my experience living there for about 6 years. So we're not just trying to win over students to UCA, we're trying to win over residents of Conway, which is much harder. As much as some may think it doesn't matter, it indeed does matter that the town backs the university. There are multiple examples where this is the case.

This is the type of problem that erupts when UCA starts breaking out of the box it has been put in by so many for so long.

Last edited by Purple Pride on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 am 
UserName Retired

STOPTHENOISE wrote:
I want the cannon explosions to cease. I endured it for the celebration of the 100 years, but that milestone is passed. What about the elderly people living in the near vicinity of UCA that may have different types of dementia that have care provided in their private residence and nursing care facilities? Not to mention folks in my neighborhood with small children trying to sleep at 9:00 p.m. My family attends the games and I still hate the noise. Being at the game does not make the noise less offensive! The College grew to our community -- not the other way around. You bet I knew when I bought my house I could hear football games, football practice, band practice, etc. These are normal activites. Having cannons explode in your back is NOT NORMAL!

The poster who is concerned about being a good neighbor is right on target. Should the entire community have to endure this noise because "the fans" enjoy it? The main difference here is when I bought my house 12 years ago, THIS NOISE WAS NOT PRESENT. What gives you the right to infringe upon my rights as a property owner? If this noise had been present 12 years ago, I would not be here now. All I'm asking is that the status quo return to what existed prior to your 100 year celebration. I guess you just can't enjoy football unless there is deafening noise to accompany it. Guess that explains why the past years of football were so horrible.

To paraphrase from an earlier post - how do you feel about God and His thunderstorms then? You can't run from them so you learn to accept them. I would think you could learn to accept seven nights of football per year. The centennial thing, just as it says - once every 100 years. I'll go out on a limb here and will make you a promise that you won't have to live through another one of those celebrations. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:12 am 
Two-Time All-American

Post subject: Fireworks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:21 am 
Redshirt

The cannon explosions are usually louder than most thunderstorms. Yes, these acts of God can be disturbing to older/younger folks as well, but this is part of the life. When you have had life for 99 years (UCA time) without the noise, it is rather unnesscary. Can you not celebrate football without the cannon?

To the poster who hinted I should move -- would you like to buy my home? Didn't think so!

Post subject: Re: Fireworks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm 
UserName Retired

STOPTHENOISE wrote:
Can you not celebrate football without the cannon?

Yes maam/sir, you can. Can you not drive your car so as to cut down on pollution? That's not a stupid question but a fair one in my opinion. I live right in the flight training path of the C-130s from Little Rock. I have two cracked windows in my house from the vibrations they create because of their flying so low when they come over my house. Yeah, I could move too but I have decided that the 45 or 50 seconds it takes them to fly over my house every day is a sacrifice I'll make to live where I enjoy living. I also feel a little patriotic when they fly over knowing the worldwide situation these days. I would think a few seconds of sacrifice in a year for the spirit of your local university would not be asking too much on your part.

Just for curiosity sakes, do you have any involvement with UCA other than living close to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

STOPTHENOISE wrote:
Guess that explains why the past years of football were so horrible.

hmmm...I have trouble figuring this one out? I know that the past 5 years they haven't been horrible...In fact they won a conference title in those 5 years and made the playoffs...Let's recap shall we..

2007- 6-5(4-4)
2006- 8-3
2005- 11-3 (8-1)
2004- 8-3(6-3)
2003- 5-6 (3-6)
2002- 8-3
2001- 9-3

So I just mentions 7 years and they had winning records all but 1 year.

And if you go back the past 15 years they have had 12 winning season.

So I guess what I am trying to say is get your facts straight before you make yourself look like an ass on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:08 pm 
Redshirt

I was at the game Saturday (as always). I pleased that the cannon fire ceased. I thought the fireworks were fine. While I am a fan and I'm always at the games, I hate those cannons.

Points about thunderstorms, etc are irrelevant. These are forces of nature that cannot be controlled. The cannons can be controlled. It seems that we've been able to celebrate football games and enjoy each touchdown w/out the cannons. I think we can continue to do so.

Go Bears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
STOPTHENOISE wrote:
Guess that explains why the past years of football were so horrible.

hmmm...I have trouble figuring this one out? I know that the past 5 years they haven't been horrible...In fact they won a conference title in those 5 years and made the playoffs...Let's recap shall we..

2007- 6-5(4-4)
2006- 8-3
2005- 11-3 (8-1)
2004- 8-3(6-3)
2003- 5-6 (3-6)
2002- 8-3
2001- 9-3

So I just mentions 7 years and they had winning records all but 1 year.

And if you go back the past 15 years they have had 12 winning season.

So I guess what I am trying to say is get your facts straight before you make yourself look like an ass on here.

In prior years 3 national championships and numerous conference championships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:30 pm 
Redshirt

I didn't mean the football play was horrible. The ability to have fun and enjoy the games because of the lack of cannon thunder is horrible and must have made the games very hard to endure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next