It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raggin on the West side
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 pm 
Redshirt

For the life of me I do not understand why everyone is so concerned with the lower west side and their activities when there are so many other things to worry about; like getting everyone on the east side and still out on Bruce to join the purple circle like the ones getting ragged on. I am personally glad when I look around and I see 80 year old people there, I hope that I am still going to games and cheerin the bears on when I am that old. So what if they are not screamin and jumping around they are there to support the bears and doing their part both physically and financially. Some of you seem to equate yelling and acting crazy with how big of a fan you are and that is simply not true. To say that someone like Coach Bright that came to all the games he could was somehow less of a fan because he didn't stand the whole game and scream is wrong. Yes alot of the "Blue hairs" you refer too aren't bundles of energy but alot have been UCA Fans longer then some of the people ripping them on this board have been alive and their hard earned retirement money is paying for the likes of Nathan Brown. From my vantage point at the last game there were very very few empty seats around me on the lower side and I saw big gaps on the east side towards the top, south of the band, after half they were even bigger. I love having the band play towards us they are awesome and I love watching the students (they are crazy). I completely agree that if the seat is empty then put a booty in it but if the person shows up you gotta go because they chose to make UCA a financial priority. I am thankful for every fan from the 80 yo that sits the whole game, to the drunk tailgater that never makes it in, to the student that jumps the whole game, to the middle age( :shock: )mom like myself that screams "You're pathetic" at the officials and embarrasses her whole family. I will never cast stones at other fans that do not express their "BEAR EMOTIONS" the way I do, because no matter how you choose to support the Bears I am thankful for that support. GO BEARS and SUGARBEARS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:15 am 
UserName Retired

Mom, welcome to the board. Glad to see that you are not a lurker any more. We need more Bear fans on here expressing their opinions and support for things involving UCA. We don't really consider ourselves stone throwers on here, just opinionators - like when someone comes on here and cast stones, or should I say gives their opinion, on our opinions. See how it works. :wink: I can promise you we are all adamant about the Bears on this board.

There is a lot of merit in what you posted but refering to the LWS as the blue haired section is only a figure of speech. There are plenty of 30, 40, and 50 year olds in that section also. I really don't think any of us expect the older folks to be as vocal or as energetic as 19 or 20 year old students. I do find it a little embarrassing though that when it is time for the crowd to be on their feet and to be vocal at a certain point in the game, that 90% are being rather quiet while sitting down. It appears the one thing that gets them on their feet is the players themselves turning around and flapping their arms for us to stand up and make some noise. Seems to work every time when the guys do that. All I'm saying is that the players shouldn't have to do that.

As far as the people on the outside looking in, that's to be expected to a degree. Also, if every one of those folks did come into the stadium where are they going to sit? I know I wouldn't want to stand in the endzone 5 or 6 people deep for three and a half hours. As has been stated in previous posts if we don't get some temporary seating for the overflow crowds then we will start losing some of those people.

As far as the Purple Circle numbers, I find that a little misleading as to the way they count heads. I'm a paying member with an option of up to four seats at football games. I consider my wife a member also because I buy a seat for her. According to PCC guidelines she is not though. My other two seats that I could use, I don't, therefore allowing someone else to be a member and have the seats. But if each individual member used their allotment of seats allowed at whatever level they joined you wouldn't have nearly enough reserved seats for new members without using more of the general admission seats like those that are being used now in the upper deck.

I suppose in a perfect world that all seats at UCA would be reserved for PCC members. That's several years down the road I expect. It is rather evident that something needs to be done in the immediate future about the lack of seating. Here's to hoping that our admin leaders find a good solution to what I consider a good problem with the overcrowding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:57 am 
Redshirt

Thanks for the welcome, I believe the currently correct terminology based on my children and facebook is no longer lurking but being a creeper or creepster. HAHAHA.

I agree with you on a solution needs to be found before we lose folks and hopefully this will come soon. And I missed the fireworks :cry: on Sat and I love a good cannon after a touchdown. I also dug the new bear on the scoreboard "SCARY".

GO BEARS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:13 pm 
UserName Retired

I think almost everybody at the games are missing the fireworks. It still amazes me how a handful of people in the minority can so easily dictate the feelings of the majority. :( That's basically how it is with anything in life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 am 
All-American

IrememberHuggyBear wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, I believe the currently correct terminology based on my children and facebook is no longer lurking but being a creeper or creepster. HAHAHA.

I agree with you on a solution needs to be found before we lose folks and hopefully this will come soon. And I missed the fireworks :cry: on Sat and I love a good cannon after a touchdown. I also dug the new bear on the scoreboard "SCARY".

GO BEARS

"Creeper or creepster?" Hmm, I've been called a creep, maybe that's the same thing. :roll:

At any rate, welcome to the board! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 pm 
Practice Squad

Being one in a purple circle section on the west side and not one to be too quiet I must defend our section. We have folks from all age groups, it appears, and they are loud and stand up quite often! Granted they may not be as wild as the students - nor should they be expected to be so- but they are loyal and very much into the action. Some are quieter, to be sure, but don't judge all by a few. The 90% figure related to not participating is not correct...at least in my part of the stands.

Many of these same folks, by the way, are often among the real noisemakers during basketball season...where we could really use more and more student action...although that has been slowly getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:55 pm 
Practice Squad

Bear friends wrote:
Many of these same folks, by the way, are often among the real noisemakers during basketball season...where we could really use more and more student action...although that has been slowly getting better.

Amen! Not only am I one of those "crazy" students at the football game, but I love going to basketball games, but I can never drag myself to a UCA Bears basketball game. It is a real shame, and I hate it. You are right it is getting better, though.

I've been trying to go to the games for 3 years, but every time I go thee stands look like a quilt. You have your maroon fraternity section over here. Your pink sorority section over there, then over in the corner your purple sorority section, then over there your camo wearing sorority, then up there is your red and green fraternity. . . and they don't mix. Some may actually sit next to each other, but they can't intermingle for some reason. . .hmm. Why can't we all just be bears? At least people are putting forth some kind of effort and actually wearing purple now. Even then, nobody seems to actually be there for the game, they are just there because their fraternity/sorority has to be the best one on campus and they have to show their amount of school spirit.

...it just frustrates me. I hope the energy of this year's football season will carry over to the basketball season as well.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
This bridges a topic that was also started on the board regarding expanding the stadium.

I am tired and old but I am going to climb back up on my soapbox another time.

There are more members on this board than there are Purple Circle Members. As our success continues there will have to be a stadium expansion of some type and I do not know how that would be financed (old bear would know). I do know that successful athletic programs need private funds.

It is not too late to join the Purple Circle Club. ANY AMOUNT HELPS!!!

If you do not want your name posted in the program so people know the level of giving, I am sure you can request that your name not be listed.

This post is not directed at those who truly can not afford to give. If you can afford even a minimum donation to start, please give it.

If you are already a member and giving and can afford to increase your level a little each year, please do so.

Our recruiting budget is going to continue to grow as fuel and travel costs increase. With other schools starting football, the battle for talent will increase. Facilities are probably the second most important factor in recruiting players behind a winning tradition. We need to improve all our facilities, not just add seats.

I believe McNeese has some 2,000 members in their "Cowboy Club" and raises well over $1,000,000 annually. We have between 400-500 members in the Purple Circle Club and are raising nowhere near that amount.

Please support the teams with a contribution if you can.

AMEN MY BEAR BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!