It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reserved Seating
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:34 am 
UserName Retired

If the middle section of the upper deck is reserved seating (not talking about the purple seats, but the benches), SOMEONE NEEDS TO FREAKING TELL PEOPLE BEFORE THEY SIT DOWN!

It's freaking ridiculous for someone to show up a few minutes before the game and say that everyone has to leave. If it's reserved fine. But tell people before the whole freaking stadium fills up.

My wife and jpeepz's wife went into the stadium at 4:45 to make sure they had seats. Then, suddenly with two minutes remaining before kickoff. They don't have any! My wife = pregnant with twins. jpeepz's wife = pregnant. That's why the went into the freaking stadium an hour and 15 minutes early! To be 100% sure they could have a seat.

I wasn't up there. But, that's probably a good thing. I would have said, "fine, we'll move - when you find us somewhere else to go." Otherwise, your fault usher for not notifying people of the situation. I don't care if you're a freaking volunteer.

I have no idea what happened to the other people sitting around them that were forced to get up, including joshuca.

Summary: Thanks to Bruce Newcomer for finding seats for our wives. It's bullcrap. I and others I've talked to will be voicing my opinion with phone calls and letters. It worked for the fireworks. Luckily the game distracted me from being so pissed off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:33 am 
All-Conference

I totally agree. That's why I now sit on the East side. For those unfamiliar, I suggest giving it a try sometime. Guaranteed good time!
And please bring back the fireworks! If not the BOOM, just a SPARKLE will do. PLEASE!!!

GO BEARS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:51 am 
All-American

Trey, I would STRONGLY suggest you visit with Brad Teague about your complaint.

Also, I have heard of several fans, who have moved to the east side and loving every second of it.

As far as the fireworks are concerned, I am told booms, sparkles, everthing are history.

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 am 
UserName Retired

Yeah, about 10 mintues before kickoff I was sitting with them and then someone came along and said that I was in their seat....we were all looking around wondering what they were talking about, but finally I just moved to the East side and had a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:20 am 
Team Captain

I am sorry that happened to your family. I would encourage you to visit with BT about some solution. In the Purple Circle area, I am sure there were several hundred empty "scholorship seats" that were empty. I think you have to open that up after the first quarter or at least at the half to accomodate large crowds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:49 pm 
UserName Retired

Shame on the athletic department for pulling such a shady deal. I might be wrong but was there any advanced notice of this new "Reserved" section being sold as such before the game? If not then there is a big communication problem over there. With all the outlets for advertising and notifying the public for ticket sales this should have been avoided.

No doubt more tickets than seats were sold for the game. However, these near record crowds we keep getting for the ball games is a very good thing indeed but if stadium expansion is not put on the front burner for new improvements soon then I foresee the fanbase dwindling sooner than later. People are not going to consistantly continue to stand in the endzones to enjoy the ball games. We are approaching 3,500-4,000 more people for the games than can be officially seated. The 1,200, I believe that is the number, seat expansion for the luxury boxes won't be near enough new seating if that is all that is planned for the next expansion phase.

This is definitely one time the "little" man should be given more consideration for his money than opposed to those that will be sitting behind glass windows. It's been stated several times this year that our team feeds off the crowd noise. Don't know about the rest of you but if it is noise the Bears need to help them pull out a win at Estes then I say let them have it with more fans sitting within shouting distance of the field.

Luxury is fine but not necessary. Accommodating 4-5 thousand new Bears fans is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
UserName Retired

Like I said, I'll be contacting both Teague, Walsh and anyone else I can think of. I was just about to walk over to Darrell when I got the call to say that seats had been found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:16 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Is there some way to add bleacher seating in the north endzone to accomodate overflow crowds? We would not be the only stadium to use that type arrangement. I hope they have a master plan to add seating in sections even if it takes a decade to get to 25,000....just go to Knoxville to see how Nelyand Stadium is sandwiched in between other buildings....

In the event no one has noticed, money is tight ......be prepared to help finance construction. Most of all we need more people to buy season tickets to all sports to help put money in the Athletic Department's bank account...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 am 
All-American

I'm in the reserved section of the upper deck and yes, it is a constant battle to keep your place. I'm usually in my place 30 minutes to an hour before kickoff just to be sure I get my place.

Before last season, it was announced the center section of the upper deck would be reserved, but they don't seem to have a good system to make sure that it's enforced. Once you get to the upper deck there is absolutely no signage that I can see that tells what section is reserved and what section is not. They are relying on two ushers to spread the word and check tickets, and those ushers can't be everywhere at once. There needs to be some kind of improvement in making sure people really are getting a place reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm 
All-Conference

old bear wrote:
In the Purple Circle area, I am sure there were several hundred empty "scholorship seats" that were empty. I think you have to open that up after the first quarter or at least at the half to accomodate large crowds.

This is something I also noticed on Saturday night Old Bear. There are people standing all over the place and yet I can clearly see from my rather nice vantage point directly in front of the band on the East Side that there are several empty chair-back seats on the bottom level of the west side stands. Empty seats in a crowded stadium will not do. We need a butt in EVERY seat, and if said seat is still empty with 5:00 to go in the 1st, I say open the gates and let people sit. You should know what time the game starts if you want to keep your chair-back seat; heck, you should be there early!!

Also, the East Side (capitalized for effect) is great.... no, incredible. Please come join us, won't you? We're all equals over on the East Side.

Also also, I don't think we're packing people in quite as closely as they could be. Not on the East Side and I suspect there is still some room over on the west side. 18" is a standard seat width is a lot of stadiums..... elbow room is a luxury you pay for, but shouldn't expect with GA tickets. :D If you want elbow room, please fill out the Purple Circle brochure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 am 
Two-Time All-American

This bridges a topic that was also started on the board regarding expanding the stadium.

I am tired and old but I am going to climb back up on my soapbox another time.

There are more members on this board than there are Purple Circle Members. As our success continues there will have to be a stadium expansion of some type and I do not know how that would be financed (old bear would know). I do know that successful athletic programs need private funds.

It is not too late to join the Purple Circle Club. ANY AMOUNT HELPS!!!

If you do not want your name posted in the program so people know the level of giving, I am sure you can request that your name not be listed.

This post is not directed at those who truly can not afford to give. If you can afford even a minimum donation to start, please give it.

If you are already a member and giving and can afford to increase your level a little each year, please do so.

Our recruiting budget is going to continue to grow as fuel and travel costs increase. With other schools starting football, the battle for talent will increase. Facilities are probably the second most important factor in recruiting players behind a winning tradition. We need to improve all our facilities, not just add seats.

I believe McNeese has some 2,000 members in their "Cowboy Club" and raises well over $1,000,000 annually. We have between 400-500 members in the Purple Circle Club and are raising nowhere near that amount.

Please support the teams with a contribution if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 am 
Team Captain

Now you are trying to get me tarred and feathered. If we spent general funds on expanding the football stadium, many in our college community would go crazy. I was publicly dressed down recently because all anyone cares about at UCA is "football and Division I athletics." Some just don't understand that a successful program like football builds positive vibes on campus. We are constantly beaten up about our coach's compensation. We are fortunate to have him for what he is paid and all assistants in all sports are woefully underpaid. Yes, a great professer and educator is vastly underpaid as well. I think the short term answer is to enclose the south endzone with office space underneath for the athletic department. With the emphasis on needed office space and some classroom space, potentially we could use some public money. Let the boxes and club seats be paid from 100% private money. I would be honored to seat on the East Side! Save me two of those 18 inch seats - 26 inches for me and 10 inches for Linda!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 am 
All-Conference

old bear wrote:
I would be honored to seat on the East Side! Save me two of those 18 inch seats - 26 inches for me and 10 inches for Linda!

Old Bear,

There is no "sitting" on the East Side. So wear comfortable shoes and warm up your vocal chords.

But come on over any time. However, get there early. We fill up quickly as well.

VIVA MORE SEATS AND NEW ATHLETIC OFFICES!!!!!!!! DEATH TO THE TRI-PLEX!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 am 
Two-Time All-American

old bear, wasn't trying to add to the heat. I just knew that you knew much more than any of us how the deal works.

I like the idea of enclosing the south end zone and using the space for offices, football headquarters, classrooms, study labs, etc.

Also something I have seen at other locations (McNeese I think for one) is building a covered separate stet of stands for the band. Maybe it could be placed next to where they sit now and that would free up more space for the Bear Den bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am 
Two-Time All-American

An additional comment on what old bear said about "getting beaten up" about athletics, compensation, etc.

Everyone, faculty, students, community business leaders, etc. need to realize that whether they like sports or not the kind of atmosphere we are building at UCA (football in particular) ultimately helps them all.

More student excitement leads to increased enrollment, more people on campus and around town on more weekends (spending money in Conway instead of "back home") more tuition for facilites and faculty pay, etc.

A more active campus life makes UCA more attractive to qualified students who want the full college experience, more qualified faculty who want to be part of a vibrant campus, and more attractive for alumni to come back and mabye even support their alma mater not only in giving and support for athletics but giving and support for academics as well.

I would hope as these "crazies" (Bear Den and others) graduate that they remain loyal supporters of THEIR university. Come back frequently, join the alumni association, give to athletics and to the departments they graduated from, etc.

I still find it mind-boggling that some Conway businesses fail to support UCA (and Hendrix for that matter) more than they do. Whether they are UCA fans or not, all these fall weekends are adding $$$$ to their pockets!!!

I have some knowledge of how hard and how many hours the coaches work in all sports. They ain't overpaid!!!!!