It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLC Website
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:49 pm 
UserName Retired

Anybody besides me thinks their website sucks. Not the first score on there yet. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

It's right up there with the UAPB site. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:51 pm 
UserName Retired

That's what ESPN is for.
They show all FCS scores on the bottom line these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:17 am 
UserName Retired

Yeah if you want to sit there for 30 minutes and five commercials just praying that they don't go to a commercial just seconds away from showing the scores you want to see. Anyway, by that time of night, the eyes are bloodshot, the head is hurting, and the body is weak.

Kinda the same type of syndrome like people who lose their nametags one week and then lose their cellphone the next week. :lol: Maybe they need a fanny pack - you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:24 am 
UserName Retired

BTW, still no update at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:25 am 
All-Conference

Update is up...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1576888

Stop with the criticism...there's a lot that has to happen before the SLC SID can put up an update. The conference SIDs rely a lot on the SIDs at the member institutions to come through. If those individuals drop the ball (which happens a lot in certain conferences), it slows things down.

I'd never want to work in a conference office because of the reliability you have to put on others. One weak link can really mess things up and this happens at even the FBS level -- trust me, I've seen it!

As far as the web site, EVERYTHING is easy to find. It's actually one of the easiest conference web sites to maneuver around and find what you want. Better than most conference web sites out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:48 am 
UserName Retired

TT wrote:
Stop with the criticism...

Spoken like a true reporter/sportswriter there TT. If I can get scores off of ESPiN so can the office. !0 hours probably after the last game and no update for a conference website, no excuse.

If teams and fans can be criticized by the media for whatever reasons then turnaround is fair play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:58 am 
All-Conference

Honey Bear wrote:
Spoken like a true reporter/sportswriter there TT. If I can get scores off of ESPiN so can the office. !0 hours probably after the last game and no update for a conference website, no excuse.

The conference office is waiting for game files and game recaps from all the schools. Why post the scores and nothing else? Does that do much for you? Wouldn't think it does -- especially when you can get the scores elsewhere.

The conference does a great job in gathering all the recaps when they are made available them. Heck, it may have been UCA's fault that you had to wait so long for the information as far as you know.

Most conferences have in their manual that football stuff will be posted by X time on Sunday morning. The SLC has continued to deliver early on Sunday morning...

You have to realize the conference offices are also scrambling to do a lot of things that you do not see after all the football games -- getting POTW nominees together and out, getting a head start on the weekly football release, handling requests by the media and member SIDs, etc.

Honey Bear wrote:
If teams and fans can be criticized by the media for whatever reasons then turnaround is fair play.

Yep -- but at the very least, I can actually give you a factual response on how things work, instead of you just throwing criticism. Heck, you may learn something about a position that gets no respect from anyone, but probably does more than you realize in terms of filling your desire for information! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:09 am 
UserName Retired

TT, all I'm trying to say if that if the office is closed between 5 pm Sat. and 8 am Sunday, that's fine. I understand the money crunch thing. And yes, a score without the recap is important to me. We don't get recaps on the scroll on ESPiN but we're still interested in the scores.

If the Pope can sneeze in Rome and 10 minutes later it's known worldwide because of the internet, I'm just wanting to know why our conference school's scores can't be posted any sooner that 8 am. Oh well, I guess I can find them in the paper at 5 am when I'm having my coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
TT, all I'm trying to say if that if the office is closed between 5 pm Sat. and 8 am Sunday, that's fine. I understand the money crunch thing. And yes, a score without the recap is important to me. We don't get recaps on the scroll on ESPiN but we're still interested in the scores.

If the Pope can sneeze in Rome and 10 minutes later it's known worldwide because of the internet, I'm just wanting to know why our conference school's scores can't be posted any sooner that 8 am. Oh well, I guess I can find them in the paper at 5 am when I'm having my coffee.

Or on a number of sites like ESPN.com or Yahoo that update their scoreboards pretty much live through the evening.

On ESPN.com there is a black bar running the width of the page, it has tabs for many sports. Find the College FB one, let your mouse rest on it briefly and a pop-up menu will appear. Scoreboard will be the top option – click that.

When that loads, you will be taken to a list of scores – most of which have recaps shortly after the game and box scores updated as the game goes on. At the top right-hand corner of the main part of the page is a drop-down box that is set to Top 25. If you click that, you can choose to see scores from Top 25, all Div I-A, all Div I-AA, or by a particular conference.

The SLC is third from the bottom.

I use it quite frequently and highly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:36 am 
All-Conference

Honey Bear wrote:

The office is not closed when you are an SID -- ever!

Something tragic could happen and you could get called into duty in the middle of the night.

Ask any SID that evacuated during the recent storms and they'll tell you, they had to work and even harder...

The SLC SID is working his tail off on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. Never gets a night off at this point of the year and probably won't until June. As I said above, you see the one thing, but there's a lot more that is being done.

I think you are just making a big deal out of nothing. You can get the SLC scores easily. The SLC SID would rather not use the AP stories that many conferences do and wants all the information they can get from their member schools. Again, it could be UCA holding them up! It's not necessarily the SLC office...

Honey Bear wrote:

Your right. You can get the scores everywhere else. The SLC does not need to post the scores, it needs to do more -- post the recaps.

Turd Ocho Cinco wrote:
Or on a number of sites like ESPN.com or Yahoo that update their scoreboards pretty much live through the evening.

Actually, ESPN and Yahoo do not update their scoreboards. They are using statistical services to update their sites. There are about three that make the calls to press boxes all day. ESPN and Yahoo buy the rights to that information.

As for the live box scores, that's a school piping in live stats through the ESPN or Yahoo 'game tracker-like' programs similar to programs who churn out live stats through CSTV's GameTracker, JumpTV or in the case of UCA, through the basis stat crew live stats program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:15 am 
UserName Retired

TT wrote:
I think you are just making a big deal out of nothing.

I would be disappointed if you thought otherwise. A good defense of one's profession is a good offense on someone else's opinion. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:24 am 
Two-Time All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
Actually, ESPN and Yahoo do not update their scoreboards. They are using statistical services to update their sites. There are about three that make the calls to press boxes all day. ESPN and Yahoo buy the rights to that information.

As for the live box scores, that's a school piping in live stats through the ESPN or Yahoo 'game tracker-like' programs similar to programs who churn out live stats through CSTV's GameTracker, JumpTV or in the case of UCA, through the basis stat crew live stats program.

I know all of this, jackass. I guess I slightly misspoke and should have said "their scoreboards are updated" instead of "they update their scoreboards". Simple semantics. But thanks for jumping all over it and impressing us once again with your never-ending wealth of knowledge. You deserve a giant, delicious cookie.

I figured, given the target audience here, I'd spare the details and just let the guy know the basic info on how to find what he wants. No need for the rest of it.

But I should've known the ever-vigilant TexasTerror who spends an inordinate amount of his time on a UCA message board would be quick to come in and set me straight.

I apologize for my egregious misinformation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:47 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
The conference office is waiting for game files and game recaps from all the schools. Why post the scores and nothing else? Does that do much for you? Wouldn't think it does -- especially when you can get the scores elsewhere.

Because we're looking for the scores from the conference. You'd think the conference Web site would be a place to find that.

Yes, I want to know the freaking scores.

Sure I can go somewhere else, but the real question is why would I need to? And my answer, I shouldn't.
Quote:
The SLC has continued to deliver early on Sunday morning.
Nothing like getting your news - in the Internet age - the next day.

Quote:
Heck, it may have been UCA's fault that you had to wait so long for the information as far as you know.....
Again, it could be UCA holding them up!
Irrelevant on why scores aren't posted for the other teams in the conference. You're avoiding the issue - again - of why there are not scores posted in a timely manner.

Nowhere did HB argue that all the information should be readily available by a certain time on Saturday. He's just looking for the conference scores to be posted on the conference Web site. Sounds like a reasonable expectation to me and apparently at least one other person. Last night, I was interested in the HSU vs. UAPB final score. Did I care to read any other information? No. All I wanted was the score. Period.

And stop telling us how difficult the job of the SIDs are. It's like hundreds of other jobs in the country. People doing tons of freaking work at all hours of every day and getting little recognition. Your job is no more difficult than many others. If you'd like an award, maybe switch professions. Didn't you choose it in the first place?

Unbelievable. What a terrible argument. Thanks for answering nothing with your "factual responses." But we appreciate all of the excuses you took the time to type out for the SLC office. I'm sure they appreciate your PR work. I know I appreciate being able to respond to all of this, although I'm sad I felt like I needed to. Now I'm depressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:42 pm 
All-Conference

Haven't seen you complain about the volleyball, soccer, etc scores being posted the next day. Have you guys just come to this realization that the football scores are not posted right after the contest(s)?

It's how the SLC has always done things and guess what -- FBS conferences do the same! One FBS conference I am familiar with has informed member schools they will get everything up by 9 AM the next morning. That's just how it works.

The schools and the media's needs come before the fan's. The SLC is taking care of the schools and the media, for which I am a part of when it comes to coverage of the conference. You don't see me complaining. I get what I need in a very timely manner as far as conference-wide things go while getting what I need from the schools themselves within an hour of the games...

It's not hard to get scores from other sites. Sure, it may not be "official" in your eyes if not on the conference web site, but I find it hard to believe that ESPN, Yahoo, Sports Network, etc are wrong in their reporting.

The SLC does a great job of updating the web site by the early morning on Sunday and giving you (as well as the member schools and media -- which is their #1 concern), the full package including stats, recaps, etc.

Without that information, many of the things you guys spend time filling your football itch during the week such as getting the chance to read the SLC news release, complaining about the POTW and such would not occur...gawd forbid an SLC school is not afforded the chance to complain about POTW!

People in the profession choose the position and you work tons of hours with little recognition. They don't seek out the recognition, they care more about giving it to the student-athletes.

A lot of people burn out because they just can't handle it, but others have that burning desire to do the job because they love what they do and more importantly, the student-athletes and coaches.

If they have free time, we spend that time doing special things (features, blogs, etc) to give extra recognition to the student-athletes. That's the most rewarding part of this position for people in the profession.

I love talking sports with you guys, but on this subject, from my place as a member of the media covering the conference...I just can't agree with you at all and can't contribute much more than saying you are not seeing everything that's going on to make things happen for the benefit of the conference.