It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:12 pm 
UserName Retired

So what your telling us TT is if we want the latest news and updates on our own SLC, go find it somewhere else. No problem.

If we want info with complete and thorough writeups of our conference then wait until the next morning to get all the facts. I'll pass. Have already read the majority of it in the papers by then. Will catch up with our conference later in the week when I can't find much else to read about.

Man, I always got the perception in your profession that all media outlets wanted to be the first, the most factual, and our source to the latest in news.

To paraphrase Allen Iverson - we're talking about scores...scores...not writeups or feature stories, just scores. Is that asking too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

When are conference standings going to be updated?

Last edited by Purple Pride on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 pm 
All-Conference

I find it a little disturbing that Media and Member Institutions are percieved to be more important than fans, without fans, neither of the others exist.

If the SLC can get all of this wonderful information to all these wonderful instituions and wonderful media types, why can't they give the same information to some flunkie intern or someone else who would like to spend 5 minutes at a keyboard to post the freakin scores. The arguement that other websites update scores, doesn't make it ok that the SLC doesn't, it makes it ludicrous that the SLC doesn't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:07 pm 
All-Conference

ARROWSATC wrote:
I find it a little disturbing that Media and Member Institutions are percieved to be more important than fans, without fans, neither of the others exist.

In the world of sports information -- the media and institutions are the most important. If the media does not know, you get no publicity. If the institutions do not have the necessary information, you get no stats, no releases, no nothing. So, in this specific aspect -- the media and member institutions are more important than the fans. I'm sure you can understand that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:30 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ARROWSATC wrote:

Eh... I think you need a member institution to have fans.

And while I agree that it shouldn't be difficult for the conference to get scores on their site, the schools and media should indeed come first.

The conference office isn't really so much a media outlet primarily – it supplies the media outlets their information. You can get news from there, but their place is to make sure the places the majority of people go for their news is taken care of.

If Channel 6 gets some great footage of Nathan Brown throwing nine touchdowns against UAPB on Saturday that nobody else has, it's more important for them to try to get that footage to ESPN than it is to get it posted on UCAsports.com.

Bitching about this is like bitching at Lopez Foods for not having a location nearby for you to go buy a burger from their warehouse – even though they supplied the beef patties to all the McDonald's locations in a five-state area.

In the time it took for you to complain, you could've just gone to McDonald's, had your burger and been through with it. But for some reason, you want gripe that the supplier didn't have one waiting for you in a timely fashion.

Last edited by Beary Manilow on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:19 pm 
All-Conference

Much better arguement than any other posted here....

I only have one modification, I am not griping about the burger, I am just griping the building doesn't have a sign on it showing they sold all those burgers. I don't need the meat, just the snapshot. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

ARROWSATC wrote:
Much better arguement than any other posted here....

I only have one modification, I am not griping about the burger, I am just griping the building doesn't have a sign on it showing they sold all those burgers. I don't need the meat, just the snapshot. :)
I'd still just like to be able to see the conference standings.

Last edited by Purple Pride on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 am 
All-Conference

I have been thinking, If the SLC doesnt want to be a news outlet, they just want to supply the news outlets, fair enough...then there shouldn't be any info on the website at all. I am not really complaining, as I have never spent time on the SLC website for all the reasons mentioned here....it would just be nice to have a place I knew I could find the scores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

uggh....

It's not very reasonable to extract a few words and then make it an all-or-nothing, black or white thing. This has somehow gone from the SLC being slow to load scores to somebody who admittedly doesn't even spend time on the SLC site saying they shouldn't have any info at all. Step back, think about that and tell me how that makes a damn lick of sense.

I don't think anybody ever said the SLC doesn't want to be a news outlet and wants only or "just" to supply the news outlets – but there is a pecking order to what they do.

Wal-Mart is not primarily a grocery store – should they not have groceries? Or oil changes? Or tax services? Haircuts? Subway? Optometry?

Much like the SLC, at Wal-Mart there is prioritizing. You can get your milk or your doo-doo paper or your shampoo at 2 a.m. You cannot get your oil changed at 2 a.m. If you can't get that service at the exact moment you want it, then they shouldn't offer it at all? I mean it would just be nice to have a place I knew I could get my oil changed.

Maybe I'm just wired differently, but I just can't imagine getting worked up over not being able to find the Nicholls State score right away at one certain place – especially when it's readily available in a handful of other places. It's just not that important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 am 
All-Conference

[quote="Turd Ocho Cinco"]
The conference office isn't really so much a media outlet primarily – it supplies the media outlets their information. [quote]

I am not saying they shouldn't, I am saying if they want to have information, put it up...if they don't what is the point? Above is the comment I was referring to, and I will post once more here and then we will agree to disagree.

It is simple, The SLC website should have all the scores before anyone else, put them up or don't. I stated I don't go there and look because I went a couple times, the information was dated and easily found elsewhere...so I quit going. I would think the SLC would like to know and rectify this. If not, no biggie....I'm done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 am 
All-Conference

ARROWSATC wrote:
It is simple, The SLC website should have all the scores before anyone else, put them up or don't. I stated I don't go there and look because I went a couple times, the information was dated and easily found elsewhere...so I quit going. I would think the SLC would like to know and rectify this. If not, no biggie....I'm done

How would the SLC have scores up on their web site before anyone else?

Everyone else is putting up live scores as they happen...or as they are able to get in touch with each press box through the stats services or those schools call the stat services with updates (typically at the end of quarters or after scores)...

The SLC would need to pay up to join one these services and figure a way to post them live just as everyone else does...there's NO conference in America that has all their scores posted before anyone else! Yahoo Sports, ESPN, Sports Network, etc have them all posted before any conference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Tuesday afternoon and still the conference standings aren't updated. Sugar-coat it all you want, but that's pathetic. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:15 pm 
All-Conference

It is entirely possibel, again I don't know firsthand, that they may not update the Conference until conference games are being played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 pm 
UserName Retired

I think this is what he is talking about:

Southland Football

Standings as of 09/03/08 - latest update
Team SC Overall
Central Arkansas 0-0 1-0
Northwestern State 0-0 1-0
Sam Houston State 0-0 1-0
Southeastern Louisiana 0-0 1-0
Stephen F. Austin 0-0 1-0
Texas State 0-0 1-0
Nicholls State 0-0 0-0
McNeese State 0-0 0-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm 
All-Conference

ARROWSATC wrote:
It is entirely possibel, again I don't know firsthand, that they may not update the Conference until conference games are being played.

They got volleyball updated through 9/7. They update the standings regularly. I agree that it's not good that they did not update the standings when they did all the other things they did -- weekly release, post player of the week, etc...gotta do it one single swoop!

Of course, you can get the standings elsewhere... ;)