It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:27 am 
All-Conference

The conference realignment is coming...

Everyone has been talking about it for some while. I know Ark St is not in the talk, perhaps because they have not won seven games since going Div I, but there's plenty of chatter.

It all starts with the Big East and C-USA. Then, it works it's way from there.

Not sure how quickly it comes into effect (as that will impact UTSA), but if it does come down in the next five years, UTSA will not play a down of Southland football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:49 pm 
UserName Retired

Wow..a Crump and Terror fight....two minds clashing..while their teams are crashing... :lol: Just kidding. Good arguments by both but we'll just have to see what happens...everything else is speculation. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:06 pm 
All-Conference

TexasTerror wrote:
The conference realignment is coming...

Everyone has been talking about it for some while. I know Ark St is not in the talk, perhaps because they have not won seven games since going Div I, but there's plenty of chatter.

It all starts with the Big East and C-USA. Then, it works it's way from there.

Not sure how quickly it comes into effect (as that will impact UTSA), but if it does come down in the next five years, UTSA will not play a down of Southland football.
That's a weak shot you took. Guess I struck a nerve. You're right, ASU is not in the talk because they are in a stable conference that is improving and most importantly makes geographic sense. It's basically the next tier version of the SEC now. Truth be told, UTSA probably fits better in the Sun Belt than they would in the WAC (that's outright ridiculous). It would give UNT a travel partner and they would be able to recruit. For that to happen though it would mean the Belt got rid of Denver (which is coming) and added another team aling with UTSA to get to 12.

I just wish ASU could play all their games in Texas. We have done very well down there the last couple of years with your big brothers.

We'll see how the "chatter" works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:08 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
Wow..a Crump and Terror fight....two minds clashing..while their teams are crashing... :lol: Just kidding. Good arguments by both but we'll just have to see what happens...everything else is speculation. :lol:
What arguments? I have given concrete reasons it won't happen as well as the slim possibilities that could cause his scenario to happen. He hasn't given anything specific other than than thinly veiled insults.

I am all ears. Exactly how is this going to happen and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 pm 
All-Conference

Crump1 wrote:
Truth be told, UTSA probably fits better in the Sun Belt than they would in the WAC (that's outright ridiculous). It would give UNT a travel partner and they would be able to recruit. For that to happen though it would mean the Belt got rid of Denver (which is coming) and added another team aling with UTSA to get to 12.

Your above SBC notion getting to 12 does not include the fact UALR and UNO are members of the league. With UTSA and XXX team, that's 14, even if Denver heads on out.

The Sun Belt seems to want to grow east if you ask me. Likely teams for the SBC in my mind are Jacksonville State and Georgia State. Jax St is a natural rival for Troy. Both JaxSt and Ga St are not far apart either.

Why would the SBC need new teams? South Alabama. Western Kentucky. And to a bit lesser extent, Middle Tennessee and Troy. All four schools are mentioned in chatter regarding conference realignment.

The C-USA will need their fill of new teams when the eastern schools break off (that's Marshall and East Carolina) and maybe Memphis or go to some sort of new Big East. They'll look to the Sun Belt and ignore La Tech.

The Sun Belt will then lose a school or few. I really see Jax St, Georgia State and UTSA in the mix there. It all depends on which school(s) leave. UTSA is an obvious fit being straight down I-35 from NT and with easy travel access (airport).

I agree with UTSA being a better fit in the SBC than the WAC. The WAC is a mess, one that La Tech wants out of. Problem is, no one wants to add Ruston to their league, especially now that their Title IX programs are in the dump from the financial crunch that exists now that they are in the WAC and not SBC. TXST could be possible WAC fodder because they have no better option if they want FBS, further down the "food chain" than a number of schools on the pecking order and because the WAC wants to keep La Tech with a somewhat closer foe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:43 pm 
All-Conference

TexasTerror wrote:
Crump1 wrote:
Truth be told, UTSA probably fits better in the Sun Belt than they would in the WAC (that's outright ridiculous). It would give UNT a travel partner and they would be able to recruit. For that to happen though it would mean the Belt got rid of Denver (which is coming) and added another team aling with UTSA to get to 12.

Your above SBC notion getting to 12 does not include the fact UALR and UNO are members of the league. With UTSA and XXX team, that's 14, even if Denver heads on out.

The Sun Belt seems to want to grow east if you ask me. Likely teams for the SBC in my mind are Jacksonville State and Georgia State. Jax St is a natural rival for Troy. Both JaxSt and Ga St are not far apart either.

Why would the SBC need new teams? South Alabama. Western Kentucky. And to a bit lesser extent, Middle Tennessee and Troy. All four schools are mentioned in chatter regarding conference realignment.

The C-USA will need their fill of new teams when the eastern schools break off (that's Marshall and East Carolina) and maybe Memphis or go to some sort of new Big East. They'll look to the Sun Belt and ignore La Tech.

The Sun Belt will then lose a school or few. I really see Jax St, Georgia State and UTSA in the mix there. It all depends on which school(s) leave. UTSA is an obvious fit being straight down I-35 from NT and with easy travel access (airport).

I agree with UTSA being a better fit in the SBC than the WAC. The WAC is a mess, one that La Tech wants out of. Problem is, no one wants to add Ruston to their league, especially now that their Title IX programs are in the dump from the financial crunch that exists now that they are in the WAC and not SBC. TXST could be possible WAC fodder because they have no better option if they want FBS, further down the "food chain" than a number of schools on the pecking order and because the WAC wants to keep La Tech with a somewhat closer foe.
I am well aware that WKU and USA are on board for football and that UALR and UNO are part of the conference. You have to wonder if UALR and UNO will stay if they don't have football.

You are right about La. Tech.

Like I said, a lot of things could happen but UTSA will be playing in the SLC first before they can think about going FBS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am 
Two-Time All-American

UTSA has officially begun their search for a head football coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:44 am 
UserName Retired

[url=http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/UTSA-To-Hire-Coker-Announcement-Could-Come-Friday/Tguw3z8dPkygYWCsus6gHw.cspx]UTSA To Hire Coker: Announcement Could Come Friday
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

they did hire Coker

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90019&SPID=10812&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=3685906

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Be nice to beat a team beat by a former coach of t The U.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:40 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

More updated articles on UTSA's football venture:

UTSA football progress report
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/46560547.html

UTSA hits the ground (road) running
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/46560387.html

found these courtesy of TT at katfans.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

from our friends at Katfans.com:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UTSA_football_plans_to_join_Southland_in_2013.html

UTSA football plans to join SLC in 2013
By Dan McCarney - Express-News

UTSA has made no secret of its desire to field a major-college football program.

In the meantime, baby steps.

Following two years as an independent in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA), the Roadrunners are tentatively slated to join the Southland Conference in 2013.

“I think it's pretty much set,” UTSA athletic director Lynn Hickey said.

“We have agreed to put them in beginning in 2013,” SLC commissioner Tom Burnett said. “We don't have (dates) yet, but hopefully we will lock those in soon.”...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:49 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

more discussion here:

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10329