It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBA veteran Jeff Foster Scheduled To Graduate From TXST
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 am 
Practice Squad

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/sports/m- ... 09aaa.html

Former Bobcat standout and current Indiana Pacer receives his bachelor's degree this Friday

Aug. 10, 2009

San Marcos, Texas - Former Texas State standout basketball player and current NBA player Jeff Foster will receive his bachelor's degree in Applied Arts on Friday, August 14 at in Strahan Coliseum on the Texas State campus.

A 10-year NBA veteran, Foster became just the fifth player in franchise history to play 10 seasons with the Indiana Pacers in 2008-09. He ranks fourth on the team's all-time career list for games played with 681. He also is one of the greatest offensive rebounders in team history after he ranked 13th among NBA leaders with 215 offensive rebounds, marking the sixth consecutive season in which he has grabbed 200+ offensive boards. He pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds at Chicago last year. Throughout his 10-year NBA career, Foster has averaged 5.1 points and 7.0 rebounds while starting 339 of 681 games during the regular season.

"I have been very fortunate to be with a great organization my entire career," Foster said. "I have had the opportunity to play with a lot of great teammates and play for some great coaches. It has been a dream come true."

Following his 2008-09 campaign, Foster returned to Texas State to complete requirements for his bachelor's degree.

"Getting a college education is something that is very important in my family," Foster said. "I am the only one in my family without a college degree and I always intended to go back to school and finish up the requirements for my degree.

"My mom (Linda) has a Ph.D., my dad (Stephen) has a couple of master's degrees, and my sister has her degree. Her husband has his degree and couple of master's. It has been on the backburner while I went through my NBA career. Now that I have kids and look at their futures, I realize how important it is for their development to know their dad has his bachelor's degree. I want them to know that is a big deal in our family and something I want them to attain. It will be an exciting day for me and a day that is a longtime coming."

Before his NBA career, Foster was a two-time All-Southland Conference selection who became the third Bobcat in school history to eclipse 1,000 points and grab over 900 rebounds. He finished his career with 1,084 points and 931 rebounds. As a senior, he ranked third nationally with 11.3 rebounds per game and led the Bobcats in rebounds 25 times and registered double figures in rebounds during 18 games. He was second among team leaders in scoring with 14.2 points per game behind SLC Player of the Year Dante Mathis, who edged Foster by one vote for SLC Player of the Year honors after averaging 17.6 points per game.
Foster ranked 16th nationally among NCAA rebound leaders as a junior with 10.2 rebounds per game and was one of 18 NCAA Division I players to average double figures in both scoring and rebounding. He was second among Bobcat team leaders in scoring (12.8 ppg) steals (1.3 spg) and minutes played (29 mpg). He also led Texas State in blocked shots and ranked fourth in the league with a 1.04 average. As a sophomore, he averaged 8.6 points and led the Bobcats with 7.7 rebounds per game after starting nine games as freshman.

"Without Texas State and the opportunities that I had there, who is to say that I would be where I am today," Foster added. "I loved my four years there and was sad that I couldn't finish up that last semester because I had to get ready for the NBA Draft. In the back of my mind, (getting my degree) was some unfinished business that I wanted to finish. The University has done so much for me, and I wanted to finish up where I started."

A native of San Antonio, Foster came to Texas State after averaging 15.0 points, 8.5 rebounds and two blocked shots as a senior at Madison High School, where he shot 71 percent from the field and 62 percent from the free throw line. He earned All-District and All-San Antonio team honors after being named Madison's MVP during his senior campaign.

Upon graduation, Foster looks to continue his NBA career with the Pacers in 2009-10. When he announces his retirement, he hopes to stay in the league in some aspect and hopefully with the Indiana organization.

MaximumBobcat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 am 
Two-Time All-American

now ... did he actually earn this degree in the classroom, or did the SLC just give it to him?

No, seriously though this is a great story. Anytime a guy who once backed up Zan Tabak gets his degree after 14 years, it's big news.

All jokes aside though, it says a lot about the guy for him to find time to finish his degree requirements while working a hectic 7-month schedule and leading his team to the playoffs ... four seasons ago.

Okay I think that's all I've got. Really though – hooray for him. That being said, he's no Vince Carter, who went to graduation on a gameday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:28 pm 
Practice Squad

good to know UCA just has so many players currently in the NBA that you can afford to make jokes about other school's alumni...

:wink:

MaximumBobcat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:50 pm 
UserName Retired

Scottie Pippen comes to mind when it comes to graduating after a long NBA career...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:05 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Let's not get into a squabble over a former player acquiring their degree.

I would rather talk about a certain schools mythical football championship with the leagues 2nd best conference record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 pm 
Practice Squad

BearCountry wrote:
Scottie Pippen comes to mind when it comes to graduating after a long NBA career...

That's great that he did that. This is actually current news though. If the Pippen story were current news and posted on BobcatFans, I would have congratulated you guys on adding a guy like that to your list of distinguished alumni.

BearCountry wrote:
Let's not get into a squabble over a former player acquiring their degree.

I would rather talk about a certain schools mythical football championship with the leagues 2nd best conference record.

Nothing mythical about it, it's in the books. I've said time and time again that UCA was the best team in the SLC last year though. Kind of funny to see you guys bring it up in a thread about basketball.

MaximumBobcat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:49 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

MaximumBobcat wrote:
Nothing mythical about it, it's in the books. I've said time and time again that UCA was the best team in the SLC last year though. Kind of funny to see you guys bring it up in a thread about basketball.

Tells you what we really think of football around these parts...or what others dont feel about basketball at this point, not sure which. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:31 am 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
MaximumBobcat wrote:

Tells you what we really think of football around these parts...or what others dont feel about basketball at this point, not sure which. :lol:

I recently watched the video of Pippen getting picked in the first round of the NBA draft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchnEgRqb4k

and I realized how far backwards basketball has come since looking at the full seating at the Farris Center in that video. I'm glad UCA has improved in other sports, like Volleyball etc..it gives a bit more variety. But since the 70s football has reigned king..and probably will for years to come. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:19 am 
UserName Retired

BearCountry wrote:
I recently watched the video of Pippen getting picked in the first round of the NBA draft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchnEgRqb4k

and I realized how far backwards basketball has come since looking at the full seating at the Farris Center in that video. I'm glad UCA has improved in other sports, like Volleyball etc..it gives a bit more variety. But since the 70s football has reigned king..and probably will for years to come. :wink:

Yeah, from what I've heard the Farris Center has not been the same (atmosphere wise) since the old AIC days. I think it will take a whole lot of winning to ever get it back like I've heard it was!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Could it be the coaching? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:07 pm 
UserName Retired

I just rewatched the Pippen retirement on youtube. Wow! They had no respect for Pip did they? They sure talked up Jordan! :lol:

Quote:
That's great that he did that. This is actually current news though. If the Pippen story were current news and posted on BobcatFans, I would have congratulated you guys on adding a guy like that to your list of distinguished alumni.

Hey, I just pointed it out because your story reminded me of our "famous" ball player that came back to graduate..don't get me and monkey mixed up..he's a real instigator in speedos! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:49 pm 
All-Conference

Joe Dumars just got his degree from McNeese State recently. The SLC had to waive the 5-year after receiving degree rule so he could be inducted into the league hall of fame.