It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHSU moves on
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 am 
UserName Retired

Congrats to the Bearkats on their win over Stony Brook yesterday. They'll have their hands full with Montana St. this Saturday but at this point all teams better put their best efforts out there on the field.

A win by the 'Kats will bring some much needed respect to the SLC. Git-r-done :!:

Post subject: Re: SHSU moves on
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

The SLC has won 2 more games this year in the playoffs already that they have since what, 2005 or 2006? That's not too bad, getting some respect built up, this year at least.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 am 
All-Conference

With the home field advantage and the style of ball they play, after seeing both Montana and SHSU, I will be very surprised if Sam doesn't bring home the SLC's first national title. I think they just match up to well ,have at least as good(if not better) lines,and,very importantly,won't have to deal with the distractions of a bunch of young guys taking their first trip to the Rockies. GO SHSU!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I'm all conference supporting usually, but it's still hard for me to pick against Montana at this point, after seeing them once early in the year, and how well they are playing now too. A potential Sam Houston-Montana game wouldve made for a great National Title game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
All-Conference

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I'm all conference supporting usually, but it's still hard for me to pick against Montana at this point, after seeing them once early in the year, and how well they are playing now too. A potential Sam Houston-Montana game wouldve made for a great National Title game.

I agree that this probably would have made a great title game. I also think that if Sam had to haul their guys to Montana I would most likely give Montana the edge. I don't think that the stadium atmosphere is the big advantage for the griz. I think it's the entire experience of the trip. Hell, you might as well be taking most of those kids to outer Mongolia. It would be very,very difficult for a kid that has never been out west,in the Rocky mountain environment, to keep the type intensity level that you have to have in the playoffs. On that topic,one of the griz fans told me that they had never completed a championship run without having three home games. What an advantage!

Post subject: SHSU moves on
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:35 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Yeah, that is an advantage, no doubt. But thats also what you get when you sell out a 25K seat stadium game in and game out up there, and win big year in and year out, or most every year. Our fans as a whole could learn a lot from that group up there, even though I know that is their flagship university. We as a fanbase/alumni base down here have a long way to go to reach the level it will take to match the Montana, App States, the Ga Southerns of the world. This has been and is a growing up/maturing process for everyone, players, coaches, alums, fans, everyone associated with the school to be at those levels of FCS football on a yearly, or a mostly every year level.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 pm 
Starter

Was at the game in Mizzoula and yes the environment is great. In my opinion the real home advantage for the grizzlies is the weather. The crowd noise pumps up both teams and the field/setting is fabulous. But that cold xss weather made the difference in my opinion. Clearly they have a better team but w/o the early turnovers the game would have been competitive. Going in you had to feel like ball security would be key and the cold weather and our lack of experience playing in that showed. Everything we did was a little slower on offense. However, our defense showed alot of heart and they played darn near the whole game. For us to win in my opinion we had to have zero turnovers and some big plays and unfortunately that did not happen. Hats off to Montana, they have a great setup out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Coach Conque just got done wrapping up what I would think may've been one of the best, if not the best speech he's ever given at Bear Backers today. He spoke to many of the things that Montana had, and how we at UCA should aspire to build our program, our school, our town, etc. to be like them in regards to the pride and support they have and what they give to their university, town, program, etc. It's an event there, it's what they do! We, as alums, fans, supporters, parents, family members, whatever category someone may fall under need to aspire to be like them and support like them (or App State, Ga. Southern, Delaware, and a few others)

Our team/program as far as players and talent-wise has/is closing the gap year in and year out, that's obvious. There is a next level that those top schools perform at almost year in and year out, and we're building to get there for sure. our fans/support have come a long way, but there's still another level we can get to collectively, whether it be current students, alums, family/parents, local business owners, whoever. Thats what I'm hoping to see next.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:29 pm 
All-Conference

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
Coach Conque just got done wrapping up what I would think may've been one of the best, if not the best speech he's ever given at Bear Backers today. He spoke to many of the things that Montana had, and how we at UCA should aspire to build our program, our school, our town, etc. to be like them in regards to the pride and support they have and what they give to their university, town, program, etc. It's an event there, it's what they do! We, as alums, fans, supporters, parents, family members, whatever category someone may fall under need to aspire to be like them and support like them (or App State, Ga. Southern, Delaware, and a few others)

Our team/program as far as players and talent-wise has/is closing the gap year in and year out, that's obvious. There is a next level that those top schools perform at almost year in and year out, and we're building to get there for sure. our fans/support have come a long way, but there's still another level we can get to collectively, whether it be current students, alums, family/parents, local business owners, whoever. Thats what I'm hoping to see next.

What would you say is the first TANGIBLE step/move that should be made by any of the parties involved in order to begin that process?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm 
UserName Retired

1. Shore up the students...we need them in numbers at every game.....3000 instead off 1500 (+1500)

2. Figure out what the AA can do to work on developing enthusiam among the alums....we need to double attendance......(estimated 6000 now attend.....need 9000...+3000)

3. Grow non-alums from 2000 to 4000+

Above are all estimated numbers just eyeballing who attends games..... go from 10,000 level to 14,000+).

> engage campus groups NOW for how to plan for next year....need someone in AA and/or AD's area to coordinate and get organized

> Find someone to cover sports for The Echo and The Fountain who loves sports and writes about the teams (M and W) incessantly

>Any Faulkner County high school student admitted for $1 if wearing UCA shirt.....

>For Military Day go to all National Guard and Reserve units in the region and to the airbase and make free tickets available (have corporate sponsors pay for) and give them special seating ...ask to wear uniforms...

Just thoughts....everyone can add ideas ... we have a great product and facility....

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/dii+recognizes+ten+schools+for+positive+game+environments

DII recognizes 10 schools for positive game environments

By David Pickle
NCAA.org

Ten Division II member schools have been recognized as Game Environment Award of Excellence winners for 2010-11.

Each winner will be provided with a $500 award. In addition, a national winner will be recognized at the 2012 NCAA Convention in Indianapolis.

The Game Environment Award of Excellence recognizes athletics programs that have displayed a special commitment to creating competition environments that stress civility, cater to the comfort of fans and participants, and are exciting.

The 2010-11 winners are:

Chowan, for a “Pink Zone” women’s basketball game against Lincoln (Pa.) to highlight breast-cancer awareness.

Concordia-St. Paul, for coordinating the school’s efforts with Make-A-Wish with the homecoming football game.

Drury, for its “Fanthers” program that provided means for positive student support at Panther athletics events.

Grand Canyon, for building fan excitement before its nationally televised game against Brigham Young-Hawaii.

Holy Family, for its volleyball-based “Dig for a Cure” night to promote breast-cancer awareness.

New Haven, for its Harmony Classic. The school used the game against the Lincoln (Pa.), a historically black institution, as the centerpiece of a weekend celebrating racial diversity and harmony.

Mount Olive, for its annual “Church Night.” Fans from local churches gained admission to the basketball doubleheader against Lees-McRae for $1 and then participated in various game-related events, some of which raised money for Make-A-Wish.

Saint Leo, for its ROARwards Club program that offers community incentives for attending Saint Leo athletics events.

South Carolina Aiken, for its part in developing a “mascot summit” to keep perspective about the basketball rivalry with nearby Augusta State.

Texas A&M-Kingsville, for events surrounding its annual fan and community appreciate day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Idabearspappy wrote:
What would you say is the first TANGIBLE step/move that should be made by any of the parties involved in order to begin that process?

You got me, I dont have expertise in this stuff. All I know is that there's no overnight fix, and a lot of things i.e. $$, fan and student butts in the seats and not on the street, community pride, etc. have all been bantered about in the football forum many times over. I'd winning would be up there, but we win, so I'm not sure what else most of those of us who arent diehards around day in and day out want.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
UserName Retired

SHSU leads Montana State 21-6 at the half!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 pm 
UserName Retired

35-13 SHSU! 7:39 3rd

Looks like we might get to see how well Montana plays outside of Wash-Griz next weekend.