It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future Southland member?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 pm 
Team Captain

With the addition of Oral Roberts and HBU one thing is becoming clear, the conference is looking to add tv sets and metropolitan cities. With the loss of UTSA, has a replacement already been found in San Antonio?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local- ... divison-I/

Post subject: Re: Future Southland member?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:47 pm 
All-Conference

They're more of an attractive member than Houston Baptist. Plus they have men's soccer which means with UCA, HBU and ORU, the league may add it.

Post subject: Re: Future Southland member?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 pm 
Team Captain

The Southland Conference has yet to make a decision on any possible additions, including Abilene Christian University, and it appears the conference might not even be ready for a vote when the league's presidents meet May 23.

"I think it's a bit premature to say a final decision will even be made at that point," SLC commissioner Tom Burnett said. "I just think based on the discussions, there's probably not the consensus needed to make any kind of decision yet. That's not a negative message. They need more time."

ACU and Incarnate Word both made pitches to join the SLC on Jan. 19. Texas-Pan American also made a formal presentation to the SLC earlier this month.

Burnett wouldn't go into details, but it's possible any kind of alliance or merger between the MWC and C-USA could leave some schools without a viable conference, especially if the potential new super conference lures teams from the WAC and Sun Belt. It's possible some teams might come calling to the SLC, or the SLC could lose more teams.

"We want to see how that shakes out," Burnett said. "Is there going to be a case of someone looking for a home? We don't know that. We have incomplete information. We're not dealing with all the knowledge we need. I think the board wanted time to watch what these other two conferences are doing with their merger idea before we firm up our plans. Take that for what it's worth. It may not mean anything in the end, but we're watching it, so to speak."

Link: http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/m ... sible-acu/