It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14 Southland Schools - 11 Football playing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:36 pm 
Team Captain

Beginning in July the Southland Conference will have 11 football playing schools. I am curious how scheduling will work. So far as I can tell the only conferences that today have an 11 team conference schedule is the CAA & MEAC. No FBS conferences have 11 football playing members, and while I realize conference realignment has probably not finished shaking out (sunbelt & con-USA) I don't want to get into the what-if's?

I can't find any details of how the MEAC or CAA organize scheduling, other than wiki statements that they don't use divisions. Do they flip a coin, draw names out of a hat, choose straws, or just play every conference foe every year? If we played every foe that would be 10 conference games leaving, just one open date for an FBS foe. The only way to schedule an extra game each year would be by playing Hawaii. This format would simply not work because schools like Nichols are always broke and need more than 1 money game with FBS.

So with my math that means we will have to skip at least one or maybe two conference foes every year..... Sure hope that we don't have to skip Mcneese, Sam, SFA, or Northwestern state ever...

maybe we will get lucky and skip IW, HBU, Lamar, before a change in conference affiliation happens or University of New Orleans funds a football program.

Post subject: Re: 14 Southland Schools - 11 Football playing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm 
UserName Retired

You are correct that CAA and MEAC each have 11 teams but they each play only eight conference games. t looks like Rhode Island is leaving (UMASS left last summer) but Albany and Stony Brook are joining to get back to 12.

The CAA Football Handbook covers seemingly every topic you can imagine except for how the schedule is rotated.

Post subject: Re: 14 Southland Schools - 11 Football playing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm 
Team Captain

Hope u read the spark notes version of the handbook instead of the whole thing...