It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Orange Bowl
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 am 
UserName Retired

Florida State 31
Northern Illinois 10

If you watched the Orange Bowl and saw Florida State take until the early 4th quarter to pull away from MAC (FBS) champion Northern Illinois, you may have observed as did I that UCA had a more potent offense than NIU with (a) a 20-25 pound bigger o-line, (b) a QB at least as good as NIU's (who is pretty stellar but no where near the speed he needed), (c) much greater depth at receiver and (d) a terrific punter (NIU's was no slouch). I am not saying the Bears would have beaten FSU but maybe we would have held our own at least as good as did NIU. I have been a MAC fan for a long time and was really hoping the Huskies would pull off the win.

I was all for NIU getting a BCS chance but while ranked 15th in BCS rankings, Sagarin has them at #35 in D1 and they would be 1 point favorites over North Dakota State on a neutral field. The Huskies SOS was 125 (note UCA is #90 in D1 with SOS of 150....#8 in FCS).

NIU was hampered by having a new coach after their head coach took a new job and did not coach the bowl game. This change had to affect play calling and general game management although FSU speed on defense certainly disrupted the NIU offense.

FSU was a very good team (11-2) and NIU played very hard.

PS.....I first got introduced to NIU about 30 years ago while on campus for a "summer camp" with a former employer....used to run laps around their football field ...then worked with some NIU grads and then saw how NIU students supported UCA students. NIU has over 22,000 students.